Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd is weaning and I am really encouraging it now. I am 24 weeks pg and the ED has been more than difficult during the pregnancy. I have lost alot of weight, which is not bad as I now look healthy. I have been struggling for weeks about whether or not to really encourage her weaning. The thought of being on this ED while nursing 2 children seems like an insurmountable task. I would waver back and forth on whether I was being a wimp or whether it was the right thing to wean her. She has been nursing so little the past month or 2. Only at nap/bedtime and at those times not even much. In the past couple of weeks it has dropped to only bedtime and for a time that was limited by me. Anyway, yesterday I had this thought that has convinced me that weaning is the right thing. What would happen if the new baby was allergic to even one of the few foods that I can eat?? Then I would have a new baby who definitely needs mama's milk and a toddler who would most likely be more attached to nursing again now that there is something in there. I really don't think it is a smart risk to take. I can't imagine weaning dd when I actually have milk, while also trying to take care of 3 kids and deal with all of her food issues. So, I am resolved now to wean her in the next couple of weeks.

Ok, now for my question. Those of you who have had children wean or have weaned children while on an ED for them, when did you feel comfortable going back to eating the forbidden foods? Was a week with no nursing enough to convince you that it was safe to alter your diet? Or was it just a couple of days? Or more than a week? I just have this fear of going back to eating the bad foods and then being caught between a rock and a hard place because she demands to nurse. I will say that I am weaning her gradually, but picking up the pace a little. She was nursing for a count of 10 at bedtime, then I went to 8 for one day, then to 6 for a couple of days. Then last night I told her we were going to try it without nursing and she agreed although asked again a couple of more times. Each time I told her we were going to try not nursing she cheerfully said "ok". So, any words of wisdom as we journey through this??

Thanks,

Beth

·
Registered
630 Posts
I gradually weaned DS and gradually started eating his allergens at the same time (during my pregnancy). When we were down to only nursing at naps I would eat dairy just afterwards if I wanted to and then most of it would be out of my system by 24 hours later (he's allergic to milk, but not ANA, so this seemed to work...I did not eat his ANA allergens like sesame). I guess it depends on how sensitive your kid is through breastmilk. I could do a little dairy, but didn't want to risk egg or nuts/seeds much. DS did nurse a few times after the baby was born and I just ate what I ate (though now I'm back on a new ED, of course) because I was too foggy brained to remember that I "couldn't" nurse him since I wasn't on his ED any more. Confusing? Yes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What a dilema!! I find myself in exactly the same position. I have just found out i'm pregnant and obviously at the moment I am very restricted because of the ED. My decision is to continue simply because she wants everything i eat and I dont think I could tuck into foods she craves without feeling guilty
look forward to seeing all responses and personal experiencesxx

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, we have had 2 nights with no nursing at bedtime. Last night she only asked twice and was fine when I said we were going to try it without nursing. If she really insisted I wouldn't deny her. She is doing so awesome these days I really don't want to start eating her allergens until she is done nursing. She sleeps through the night almost every night now
: 5 months ago she was waking most nights a dz times. I just don't want to mess with success, but I am hungry so I do want to pick up her allergens soon.

·
Registered
751 Posts
We weaned very gradually. When she was still getting a bit of milk, my diet had to be very strict or she would react. Once we dropped to bedtime only, my milk dried up completely, and I could eat what I wanted and she had no trouble. She comfort nursed for 7 months; it was such a relief not to have food restrictions for myself anymore. I'd pay attention to swallowing. If your not hearing any it should be safe.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She isn't swallowing and hasn't for a while. I am almost 25 weeks pg and I know by this time in my last pregnancy my first dd hadn't been swallowing for a while either, even though she was nursing alot more than my other dd is this time. I think that if we don't nurse again tonight I am going to start eating again (that will be 4 nights with no nursing and not even really asking for it). I need to take it slow though, my body has been eating this super restricted diet for over 20 weeks now (I know many of you eat on an ED much longer). I know that last time I was on an ED for no more than 6 weeks and my body acted a little funny when I went back to eating my normal foods again.

Beth

1 - 6 of 6 Posts