Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had my "8 week" appointment this past Friday and based on when we think I got pregnant (99% sure about the date) I should be due around April 28. We saw our little stow-away in the ultrasound with the little heart fluttering away but size wise, the baby was measuring more at 6 weeks than 8 weeks. The estimated conception date based on 6 weeks puts conception 2 days before I took the HPT, and that thing went positive before I finished peeing on the stick. My OB suggested a progesterone test to make sure my body is trying to sustain the pregnancy even though I am still nursing my 14 m/o and therefore should be producing plenty of progesterone. We have another u/s scheduled for this Friday and I am seeing my acupuncturist tomorrow in the hopes that she will be able to bolster the pregnancy and my body. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Am I on the path to a miscarriage or terminating the pregnancy?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Its possible you built up hcg really quickly. What I want to know is what they mean by "conception"... the day you ovulated, or the day the baby implanted? U/S can be off measurement wise by quite a bit, but even a couple days would make sense if theyre talking about implantation... it doesn't take long for hcg to add up to measureable amounts once the baby implants. I could say it would go either way honestly, without knowing every detail, but a heartbeat is definitely a good thing to see

·
Registered
805 Posts
Those dating scans aren't infallible. Yet another reason I'm a fan of not peeking too much and letting the kid come when they come.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Easier said than done, I know. None of us is in control in this journey, we just have to trust the universe that what is meant to happen will happen.

Sending lots of positive vibes!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you back calculate from the May 16 due date that I don't believe then conception, not implantation, occurred on August 24 and I took the HPT on August 26.

Who knows, maybe I am just being obstinate about the conception/due date. I know no one is born before their time, and whether we like it or not, no one leaves before their time; if this pregnancy ends then obviously it's not time for #2 to be born. It's just good to hear other ideas and get a little support. The first thing my Mom said when I told her what was going on was "You know, a lot of women have miscarriages. What are you going to do if the pregnancy isn't healthy?" All things that I am thinking about, not real constructive at this point since we don't even know whats going on. Oh well...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Some possibilities:

Old U/S machine...? new/unexperienced tech that didnt measure good..? One little .5 cm off that early and it changes your date by a week

Tilted uterus and u/s measurement is hard to capture.??

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
OK it takes at least 5 days for hcg to get to a high enough level for the lowest detecting hpt to pick up (25mIU). So there is no way that you conceived just 2 days before taking it. U/S measurements are off by up to 2 weeks either way. I do not like u/s for dating for this reason. It causes stress for no good reason.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I had a u/s done because I didn't believe it
I'd taken a HPT and it came up neg. The date the u/s tech came up with is impossible. We made baby one of two weekends in March and the u/s date is nowhere close to relating to either. The measurements are just precedent. It's an average of what baby measures on a given week, but we know each baby is unique and not every baby is measured

Don't sweat it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had the follow-up u/s yesterday. No growth, no heart beat, nothing recognizable as an embryo. So, I'm giving my body a week to see if it expels the pregnancy on its own. If not I'll be looking at a D&C or drug induced miscarriage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.