Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
9,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because of the feelings generated by events surrounding the Nat'l BFing Campaign, I'm very motivated to do some of the advocacy things I've been putting off....
Just send this email today to my ped's office:

Quote:

RE: Incorrect Breastfeeding Information Given in your Office

Dear Drs. Bxxxxxxxx and Fxxxxxxx:

My son is a patient of Dr. Kxxxxxxx's. We have always received excellent breastfeeding support from him.

However, at my son's one month appointment, we saw the physician's assistant in the Fxxxx office. She encouraged me to supplement him with a bottle of formula a day so that other people could feed him. I stated that I had a pump but was so far having trouble getting a significant amount of milk expressed. I asked for the name of a lactation consultant in the area. The PA did give me the name of an LC, but again encouraged the use of formula, saying that, "One bottle never hurt any woman's supply."

I contacted Linda Wxxxx, IBCLC, with whom I consulted after my delivery. She informed me that supplementing with formula can indeed hurt milk supply, both physiologically and psychologically. In her experience, it more often than not leads to early weaning. She also directed me to this article from the Mass Breastfeeding Coalition which outlines the serious consequences of supplementing an exclusively breastfed baby. It can negate many of the postive aspects of breastmilk:
http://www.massbfc.org/formula/bottle.html

Thank you very much for reading. I hope you will be able to pass this information on to the other members of your practice.

Sincerely,
Jane Sxxxxxxx
Tag You're It!
What can you do?

· Registered
9,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yay...got a response today:

Quote:
thnanks for your note and for bringing this to my attention. You are absolutely correct in this, and we will review breastfeeding advice with our staff again.

Robert E. Bxxxxx, M.D., FAAP

· Registered
3,217 Posts
I think it's great that he acknowledged that you were correct and promised to do something about it.

I sometimes think that we are too harsh on our peds.... they are just under educated (something you wouldn't associate with someone with a PHD). Each time I've given my ped literature or information associated with breastfeeding, he has thanked me and has been very open to changing his views on things once he researchs them.

I think if we want a change, it's each one of our jobs to get out there and spread the info!! Maybe by the time our children have children, bottles will no longer exist

Good job mama!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.