Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
( I have a toddler climbing all over me so I'm not sure if I am articulating my ideas well,lol)

Hello,

I have two children that I plan on hsing. I have been reading and educating my self for 2 1/2 yrs on different educational philosophies- unschooling, hsing, Montessori, Waldorf, public ed, etc. I feel confident with the decision to hs. I am trying to find a parent training class or seminars that discuss how children learn best- what approach to reading, writing, math, etc, works best. Most importantly I am looking for something that is objective and evidence based.

I don't want to recreate "school" in the home....I know children learn best when they want to learn something. I don't want to set myself up as "teacher", rather I consider myself their guide or facilitator. So, I'm not concerned about the class/seminar being pro-school or anything like that- I'll just take the parts that are pertinent and leave the rest. Mainly, I want to know the best way to present or explain certain topics. For example, if dd is asking about math or reading, I would like to know how to approach it- what research shows, kwim? For example, phonics vs sight words or a combo of both.

Thanks!

· Premium Member
17,040 Posts
You could certainly take college classes geared towards education students. I took a class on early education when my kids were little. Look into your local community college.

· Registered
260 Posts
cathy duffy's 100 top picks for homeschool curriculum book has a whole section on figuring out how YOUR kids learns best....and gives a variety of options to pick from.

as far as classes, i plan to just go to my state's annual homeschool conference, where they have several speakers on various homeschool topics (including approaches to homeschooling). i dont know where you are located, but PA has a huge conference through CHAP.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.