Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dh's aunt, uncle and cousins are coming to stay with us today. they haven't said how long they're staying, but i'm guessing it's going to be a while.
they're meat 'n' potatoes, conservative christian right wing types. notoriously uptight. i've taken down the 'deity collection' (mary, ganesh, buddah, etc, because variety is the spice of life) and neatened the house, but what do i feed these people? they don't LIKE trying new things, and i'm not about to go buy steak for them.
i KNOW there are people on here who have been through this. how did you deal and what did you serve?
oh, and i have about 30$ for groceries for the rest of the month. that would normally be lots (bulk, dried beans are cheap and i have garden veggies) but i have a feeling it won't stretch very far if i'm trying to cook the standard north american diet.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I would make a lot of vegetarian pasta dishes. Most people love pasta so I try to make that when I have guests. I also make a lot of cold salads which have orzo and lots of different veggies. Corn and zucchini is very plentiful now - people love corn and it is quite filling (although not the most nutritious thing, it is soooooooo delicious at this time of the year).

Brown rice and vegetables is also very filling.

I might offer gardenburgers if they want something "meaty" (or tofu hotdogs). I wouldn't make meat, though.

Also I wouldn't remove my deity collection. My Buddha is very precious to me and if someone comes to visit I would hope they would respect that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
My inlaws are very much the meat and potatoes types and they have likely unknowingly eaten many a vegetarian dish.

I would second the suggestion for vegetarian pasta dishes - most folks don't necessarily expect meat in them so would be open to going w/out. I would also second any suggestion for making any number of veggie dishes w/locally available fresh veggies (corn, zucchini, etc). How about some grilled veggies? Or...my absolutely favorite veggie item that I find to be very acceptable to meat eater types: TVP!! Substitute any ground meat in a recipe with TVP and most won't even know the difference. I think my FIL thinks it's ground turkey!
Plus, with TVP you have the added bonus that it's SUPER CHEAP!!

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
pasta, casseroles, beans and rice and stirfries

serve ever dish with an easy green salad, bread or rolls

have sandwich fixings available for lunch...bread, spreads, cheese(unless you are vegan, tomatoes and lettuce...if they want meat then they will go buy it.

fruits/nuts available for snacks

cereals/waffles can be made for breakfast.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Probably not what you are looking for but....When family visits us I serve exactly what we normally eat. I am under no obligation to bend over backwards. They are family and I am serving them free food. If they don't like they can go out and buy their own dinner. But that is me. Their is also no way in hell I would take down my spiritual stuff either. I think about it this way....I am who I am and I make no apologies for it. I don't know if that's an option for you but for me life has gotten a lot more fulfilling since I began living this way.
Either way, good luck!

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by defectgrrrl
Probably not what you are looking for but....When family visits us I serve exactly what we normally eat. I am under no obligation to bend over backwards. They are family and I am serving them free food. If they don't like they can go out and buy their own dinner. But that is me. Their is also no way in hell I would take down my spiritual stuff either. I think about it this way....I am who I am and I make no apologies for it. I don't know if that's an option for you but for me life has gotten a lot more fulfilling since I began living this way.
Either way, good luck!
I was going to say the EXACT same thing. Personally I would explain to them that you don't eat meat and you choose not to buy it, so if they would like meat to cook up as a main dish for their meal, have at 'er.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.