Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knit my first pair of wool shorties and lanolinized them according to instructions I saw here and on cotton babies (1 tsp lanolin + few drops baby shampoo dissolved in hot water, then add to 8 cups warm water). Anyway, my shorties (and the Lana pads I did with them) are super-duper sticky even after drying. There are no gobs of lanolin, and I'm sure I thoroughly dissolved it all before I added it to the wash water. Is this normal? Can I salvage them?! TIA!

·
Registered
446 Posts
no harm done, it'll come off eventually (and help the skin it comes into contact with to be supple and moisturized!). If it is super sticky to the point of being irritating, you can either do another hot soak with a drop or two of baby shampoo and throw a wool blanket or sweater in with the shorties; when you agitate the water it should disperse the excess lanolin into the new wool. If you don't have any other wool around, you can just do a hot rinse with a couple of drops of baby shampoo, and it should dissolve the excess lanolin, which will then spin out with the wash water. Furthermore, if you roll the wool up in a dry towel after it has spun out in the washer, a little more of the lanolin will rub off onto the towel. HTH and wasn't too confusing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.