Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My niece, who has a 6 week old baby, just told me a few days ago that she felt she might have PPD. She stated that she feels at times that this baby is not really hers, it is all a dream, now she is living the reality that she always knew would never happen to her (to be a teen mom like her mom was), etc. She states that of course, she loves her baby, but that being a mom is way harder than she expected from babysitting. She has chosen, in the past two weeks to leave her baby with paternal grandma overnight twice and with paternal aunt all day one day and with a friend all day one day. She told her doctor on Tuesday that she was having these feelings and they put her on Effexor. She started it on Thursday, I believe. Apparently, today things got a lot worse. I don't know the details but paternal grandma brought her home from her house and she went straight to bed. Paternal grandma said that she had a breakdown and was crying and having a difficult time and that the baby's dad was going to keep the baby tonight. My niece went straight to bed. It was about 7 pm. She has not been up since then. Has anyone taken this med and had a worsening of symptoms? I have read that this med is not recommended in children and teenagers. Are these typical PPD symptoms? It concerns me that she is so willing and eager to end her new baby away overnight and for such long periods of time. Any insight from those who have experienced this would help. Thanks in advance. Mandy

·
Registered
288 Posts
I cannot say anything about Effexor, but I just started Paxil and the pharmacy put a pamphlet in with my script that warned about childen/teenagers and antidepressants. It said that the meds can actually increase suicidal tendencies and that you should monitor your kids closely while on them.

Hugs to her, I had my first at 17 and know how overwhelming it can be. I hope she gets the relief that she needs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts