Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still don't have the mind for writing, but hopefully these pistures can tell the story. Eisa Green (pronounced eyez-ah) was born on monday june 6 at 2-12. She is perfect. mcs

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAM3LZm3cuWztw

I have been a little "lost" since the birth, but just now, my dh has left to pick up my mom from the airport and I feel ready- I think- to tell at least, the short of the story.

Because of her position (kind-a transverse/footling with the cord wrapped two- in the end, three times around,) we decided to have a cesarian. It was not an easy choice and at the same time, it was no choice at all- she could not, otherwise, have been born. I was lucky to at least have time to prepare myself for a birth that was not my original ideal.

The birth was scheduled for nine am on monday, june 6 and it started well- even like magic. I was at the hospital by seven for the sugery to start at nine. I did not sleep at all the night before and was very uncomfortable on the ride to the hospital. I was having a lot of what turned out to be---real contractions! I even lost my mucus plug on the table of the waiting room. I had been so focused on preparing for the sugery and baby, that I had not even noticed that what I thought had been bx contractions b/c of nervousnes and not drinking from the night before had grown so strong and close together. This still makes me really happy- to know that she was born on her birthday.

So, from seven until one in in the afternoon, I sat with my contractions growing in discomfort and getting closer together while one emergency c-cection after another went into the operating room ahead of me.
At one o'clock, I was taken to the recovery/prep room with still no real clue for a start time till suddenly, my doctor popped in and said that he was assembling the crew- that we would start in just a few min. The doctor and the rest in the room were all really great- they took a lot of time to assure my comfort and to talk in nice tones. It was a strange sensation to have no sensation- like nothing to compare. I could feel some pulling in my abdomen, and hear the tools and beeps all around, but I was totally disconnected. Hilger and I talked about chicken soup and other funny things just to keep the mood light and in between, my midwife would tell me what was happening. They did not lower the screen for the birth like I had asked them to do, but I could hear her cry and almost immediatly bagan a shake all over my body and tears that were a million miles from the chicken soup and medical smell. She was born at 2-12 and weighed 6lbs 6oz- 19 inches long. Soon, Hilger was able to hold her and then to bring her to my face where I could, for a few min., akwardly touch her. It was a thrill and then it was gone as Hilger went with her to the nusery.

I have never been so alone in my life. Nearly two hours later, Hilger was finally able to bring her to me and she nursed like a natural. The staff was cruel beyon belief and would not let me keep her with me for long- it was another five hours before I was taken to a room and could see her again. And that--begins a whole other story of complaints. The nursing care at this hospital was a nightmare- the extent of which I am still realizing. Like I said though- that is for another two pages.

Home-home-home is wonderful. I am lost between disbelief and a comfort that I have never experienced before. Both are bliss. Let me go back to them now. mcs

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Congratulations mcs!! Welcome baby Eisa
:

She is so beautiful. Look at her precious lips and baby hair fuzz! What a pretty name Eisa is, too.

I hope your recovery is going ok--the first few days are always the most difficult. If you get a chance, what was her birth weight?? I'm curious after all that speculation by the doctors, lol.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
mcs,

Thank you for sharing Eisa's birth story with us. It sounds like you did a really great job of keeping calm as you waited for the surgery. I also love that she was truly born on her birthday--that is really special.

It must have been so difficult to be separated from her in those first few hours, though. How awful that the staff kept you from her and that your care was not what you deserved

One of the things about births, especially those that end up being not what we planned, is that it is so important to talk about them and sort through every little detail...I would love to hear more about it (whenever you are ready) especially the postpartum care--maybe in a few weeks or months you might write a letter telling them how they disappointed you?

Anyway, I am so glad that you are home now and holding your sweet Eisa

ps, 6 lbs 6 ozs?? Phooey on that doctor
: What a nice healthy size she is!

·
Registered
480 Posts
mcs: thanks for sharing your story it was really emotionaly to read.
as you say, there really wasnt choice with a c-sestion, but im so sorry that they care afterwards was so old fashioned and backwards. pepper is right, when your up to it i hope you feel you can come and talk about all the feelings a 'unplanned' birth can cause.
but now im sure your little one is a good focous item!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts