1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Birth Story: Elana Grace
Born: February, 2nd 2016
At 6:47pm

On Monday morning I had a BPP scheduled at 41 weeks 5days. I was diagnosed with low fluid levels at 4.98. The dr. likes the levels to be above 8 and anything under 5 is indicated for induction. I did have one fluid pocket of 2 which meant that my BPP score was technically 8 out of 8. The dr. was very respectful of my wishes and I was able to buy some time till Thursday. However, being in this situation and facing induction again really had me pissed. My daughter was induced at 42.5 weeks along and I really didn’t want to throw my home birth plans out the window.

I talked with my midwife and we agreed to do a natural home induction using tinctures. She arrived Monday evening and we administered tinctures every half hour for 3.5 hours. Once the contractions started coming we did a cervical check and I was 2cm dialated. The tinctures were definitely working, but I was feeling most of the pain in the top of my uterus which I knew wasn’t right. After throwing up the last tincture, we decided to take a break and rest. We all slept and after the ctx. slowed down I realized that the pain I was experiencing was gallbladder pain. I sent the midwife home and tried to recover from the worst gall bladder pain in my life. At this point I was mentally done, ready to throw my birth plan out the window and have the dr. induce me just so that I could have the epidural to rid me of my gall bladder pain.

Around 11am, I started having the kind of contractions that wake you up from sleep. I was scared that I couldn’t do both pains at the same time. I had asked for prayers and the gall bladder pain finally subsided on Tuesday around 1pm. And wouldn’t you know it, the contractions were still coming every 10 min. The kind of contractions that wake you up from sleep, cursing. I was so upset. I really needed rest after being up all night long feeling like I was going to die. Mentally I was done, but my body was not done. These were the real deal of contractions, where falling asleep and waking up to them was so annoyingly awful. At 2pm, I told my doula that I was definitely going to need some help coping by dusk. I already needed help at that time, but I was trying to not be such a wuss. I ended up having my husband call my doula at 4:30 to come, but she was at least an hour out. I was vomiting, having hot and cold chills …. real labor stuff. Contractions were every 3-5 minutes. I was so tired. In my mind I was hoping to have baby by midnight. I kept thinking to myself that this is so dumb. Why did I want this? I knew I was too far in to abandon ship. I texted the midwife to come at 5:30, she was an hour out.

My doula arrived at 6pm, we did a few contractions together and at that point I wanted in the birth pool whether it was ready or not. I got in which was nice, but the contractions still hurt like hell. I’m glad my kids weren’t there because this was not the nice peaceful home birth that you see in youtube videos. The back up midwife arrived with enough time to check the baby’s heart rate one time. Then I told her, “Amie, I quit”. That is the exact moment that I started having the fetal ejection reflex. The most wicked thing I have every experienced. It was not me pushing, it was my body. Up until this time there was no pressure in my bottom that is the telltale sign that the baby was coming. I was screaming, had to have Amie call for my husband because he was boiling water since the hot water heater had ran out of water, and my screams did not prompt him to come! My midwife, Brande, walked in the door as I was screaming. She tried to remind me to have low tones, but I just screamed in her face the next time my body started pushing again. Her head started coming, and I could tell that I was tearing up towards my urethra. I was on my knees sitting up trying to push her head back as it was coming out. I leaned forward and her head was born. I felt her shoulders rotate, and Brande said reach down and grab your baby. I screamed “No, just get her out”. It was in my birth plan that I was catch my own baby, but this was so wild that I just wanted it over. I had no control over the speed in which she was coming. Brande floated the baby between my legs and I reached down and pulled her out of the water. She was born at 6:47pm. I was still in such shock and disbelief that this had all happened.

It was in my birth plan to do cord burning, which means leaving the placenta attached to the baby. The placenta however did not want to come out. I had stopped having contractions. I didn’t have any more effort to give at this point. We tried doing some clary sage and angelica. An hour later the placenta was still not out. We had tried the birth stool, sitting on the toilet and cutting the cord so that the placenta would drain out and hopefully come out. That didn’t work, but I did have a massive gush of blood and clots, which is not really a good sign. I was given a shot of piton in the leg. We moved to the bed and administered an I.V. of fluids and more pitocin. If my placenta didn’t come soon I would have to to be transferred to the hospital. It didn’t come. My bleeding was fine, my vitals were fine, and I felt fine, so I wasn’t terribly worried, but this is not how I wanted to end my birth. I just wanted to sleep. We called for the ambulance and started heading in to meet the dr. The ambulance ride is where things started to get hairy. The girls in the back were not listening to me at all. I was hot, which lowers your blood pressure. I was gushing blood which didn’t seem to concern them when I was telling them. I was gushing out of my adult diaper. I had my husband call my midwife who was following the ambulance. I knew there was nothing she could do, but I knew this was not good. I had four big gushes and again the people in the ambulance did nothing. No extra i.v. fluids, no oxygen. I was sweating and feeling nauseous and that’s when I passed out. They got me to come back around and turned the lights on the ambulance. The dr. was at the hospital waiting for us. I was rushed back and at that time had lost a lot of blood. I was hot and nauseous again and passed out again. They got me to come back around, and I was screaming like a wild woman because I was being poked and prodded everywhere, but they couldn’t get any blood from me or i.v’s in me. The dr. had to reach inside of me with is entire hand, wrist and arm to remove my placenta. As you can imagine this was not pleasant, and it was not quick. I was screaming my head off, cursing and thrashing around. Finally he got it out. I had to have two pints of blood. If you’ve ever birthed in the hospital, you know there is no rest for the weary. They were never able to get enough blood from me at one time to run all the tests they needed, so I was being prodded all night long. Thankfully, everything turned out fine. I was finally at home in my bed at 2:30pm Wednesday. It felt like a three day marathon.

Baby Elana is perfect. She nurses like a pro. I am very sore, and have no desire to do this all over again!

I hope that sharing my birth story doesn’t scare anyone away from having a homebirth. I really feel like everything was done correctly. That the midwives did everything right and that they have an amazing back up dr. who is respectful and knows what he is doing. I am just an anomaly.

Reactions: Nazsmum

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yikes! Sorry to hear about your ordeal. You are so right that hospitals are NOT places to rest! They never leave you alone there! Anyway, glad your baby is doing well :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
I was worried this post went away as I had trouble finding it again to reply sooner. I just wanted to say glad baby is going well, that you got to have baby at home, and that you are on the road to recovery! Also, I've heard that doctors can be pretty brutal with placenta removal and I'm sorry you had such a painful experience post delivery. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I hemorrhage do after my last home birth and fainted a few times. Not fun! I was glad to transfer to the hospital for monitoring, and the Ben more relieved to go home again lol

Thanks for sharing your story

·
Registered
862 Posts
Thank you for sharing, what a wild and scary ride. I'm so glad everything is okay, and welcome Elana!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts