Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our beautiful daughter, Elanora Kay, was born at 1.13am Tuesday, June 7, 2011. She weighed 6lb, 5.5 oz, and was a midwife-assisted hospital waterbirth.

I was induced for a suspected IUGR on June 6 at 10am with Cervidil. My cervix was only open 1-2cm, not enough for the midwife to break my waters as a method of induction. I spent the next 12 hours alternating between walking the hallways trying to get things moving and trying to nap for the big show, which I had a feeling would be in the middle of the night. The rushes were fairly regular but not at all uncomfortable. By 10pm, I was dialated to a 3. The midwife broke my waters and told me to spend the next hour walking to get things moving. At 11, she checked me to make sure things were getting going. I was a 4 and the rushes were strong enough that I had to breathe through them. I spent an hour sitting on a birth ball, resting my head on the foot of the bed to try and nap between rushes (I was SUPER sleepy at this point). At 12 I was moaning my way through the rushes and the midwife said I could get into the bathtub. We both still thought I had hours to go. Once I was in the bath, the rushes got really intense, the opposite of what I thought would happen. All of a sudden the rushes changed, and started lifting my body up like I was possessed. I called out that I thought I was pushing the baby out. The midwife and her student and DH came in and the midwife said if I didn't want to deliver in the tub, now was the time to get out. Since I couldn't imagine finding ANY other position to be in, I said I wanted to stay in the bath. After a few of the super intense pushing rushes, I decided to start pushing with them, and never did I need my birthing affirmations more. "Relax your face" and "Open" were the two words that got me through labour. I didn't tell anyone about my birth affirmations, because I thought they would think I'm loopy, but having two words to hang on to made a world of difference for me. She was born at 1.13, with her cord wrapped twice around her neck! What a trooper!!!

I'm so happy to have been able to give my second daughter an unmedicated birth. She nurses so well, and is so alert and calm :)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Welcome to the world baby girl! Congrats mama :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.