Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to be as frugal as possible with electricity. Here is my question: Someone (who seems to stretch the truth quite frequently) told me that it takes more electricity to turn a light on and off then to just leave it on if you are going to be using it again soon. Is there any truth to that? I think I did read that it takes a lot of electricity to turn a tv on and off and if you are going to use it within appx. 30 minutes (can't remember exact time) that it is better to leave it on. Anyone know about this???

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I seem to remember there being a post about this a while back and I actually think there was research or an article cited that said if the light will be on for longer than something like 30seconds, it's using more energy than to turn it on and off. Hmmm... maybe it was in a thread about CFLs,
Now I need to go find it...

·
Registered
474 Posts
MythBusters did an episode on this. They concluded that in general it made more sense to turn the lights off!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessicafairy View Post
MythBusters did an episode on this. They concluded that in general it made more sense to turn the lights off!
How ironic, I waste a lot of electricity watching mythbusters.
I saw that episode too, and was kind of bummed out, I wanted it to be true.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.