Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ds, 11 months old, started waking up crying 5 or 6 times a night about a month a half ago. So since we tried to eliminate things from his diet and nothing helped. I know dairy doesn't agree with him so we don't feed it to him. But since it doesn't agree with him I thought I'd try eliminating dairy from my diet because maybe my breastmilk will upset his stomach. I started this a couple of days ago. I'm wondering how long it should take for any changes to take place in my milk? Anyone have experience or knowledge about this?

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I would try posting in the Health and Healing Allergy forum. They have helped me so much.

I think dairy is maybe a week of waiting. There should be a change within that time frame.

I thought it was dairy when my dd was so gassy at night, but it turned out to be wheat. Just another one to keep in mind if the dairy doesn't help.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Moving to Breastfeeding

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
IME if this just started happening, it's nothing you're eating. Babies w/ these problems often start in the few mos of birth. Have you started feeding him anything different? What about teeth? Some babies don't teeth well at all.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
There could be many possible reasons so you'll probably need some investigative work there...
I first thougt of reflux (GERD) but if these symptoms are new with your baby it's not very likely now.
About dairy:
"Cow's milk is the most common source of food sensivities and fussiness in babies, perhaps because many women are encouraged to drink a lot of milk during prgnancy, which can sensitzize a baby before birth. There are more than 20 substances in cow's milk that have been identified as human allergens. (...) It may take 10 days to 2 weeks to eliminate cow's milk portein from the mother's system, so if the mother wants to try eliminating mild and milk products from her diet, encourage her to allow the full 2 weeks before gauging the results."
(excerpt from LLL's Breastfeeding Answer Book)
However, as your baby is eating solids already (so I understood) this might even be the first place to look (dairy? wheat? citrus, e. g. in juices? soy?).
Other possibilities:
- teething (as mentioned by pp)
- stomach bug (Maybe your baby has only weakened symptoms because he is still a regular bfer.)
- some kind of infection in the upper respiratory tract (ears?)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by proudmomof4 View Post
It may take 10 days to 2 weeks to eliminate cow's milk portein from the mother's system, so if the mother wants to try eliminating mild and milk products from her diet, encourage her to allow the full 2 weeks before gauging the results
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.
Wow! 10-14 days to wait! We'll thank goodness I like almond milk anyways
I thought I'd try eliminating milk first because I know that it upsets his stomach when he eats or drinks milk products. I would think it might be teething except that he has painful gas in the middle of the night, every night, and wakes up crying 5 or 6 times. This leads me to the conclusion that it is food based. But I know it's still possible. So if the no dairy diet fails at helping maybe I should try gluten free or ??? any suggestions?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Have you tried a god probiotoc? Sometimes adding one will help eliminate gas, it is very difficult to find a dairy free one sometimes though! The probiotic would be good for you too- I wonder if your LO is having issues since starting solids and getting dairy products, maybe it didn't bother him in your milk until after ingesting it directly, now he is sensitive? My LOs couldn't do cow or sheep milk (similar in composition) but are fine if I eat goat dairy products. And raw milk products don't get them as much as pasteurized (goat for DD- I eat it she is EBF still, but now DS can handle raw cow dairy without any issues at all).

Oh and if you think it is dairy- watch out for all the hidden dairy everywhere- casein, and whey are in everything it seems like!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts