Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've cut out obvious sources of dairy out of my diet for about a week, and it really seems to have helped my 4 month-old ds. He's a lot happier and less fussy. No gas! I've heard about hidden dairy, and I'm wondering if I need to look for it, since he seems to be doing so well as it is. We don't have any history of food allergies in the family, so I'm pretty new to this.

What is the difference between a sensitivity and an allergy? If I start looking for hidden dairy, what ingredients do I need to look for (and what WILL I be able to eat?)? How long before I should try introducing dairy to my diet again?

Also, what's the scoop on allergy testing? My 2 1/2-year-old gets has mild eczema and gets diaper rashes, so I've thought about having him tested.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Since you live in the US, if you buy anything prepackaged, law requires that they say MILK or contains MILK somewhere in or near their ingredient list if there is any hidden dairy.

·
Registered
236 Posts
the usual suspects- besides plain ol' milk- are casein (a milk protein) and whey.
some babies aren't sensitive to casein though- its variable. my son (9 months) is very sensitive to multiple foods so we stay away from dairy in all forms- but you should go with your gut. if your babe seems fine with just eliminating what you have already, then maybe thats all he needs.
since we can't have dairy (or soy), we do a lot of goats mill/cheese/yogurt. most people that are sensitive to dairy do absolutely fine with goat's milk. i'll admit, i'd had goat cheese before but was entirely skeptical of goat yogurt and milk- but you can't even taste the difference (in my opinion).
the difference between an allergy and a sensitivity: an allergy is something that he will not outgrow and generally has more symptoms, or at least more apparent symptoms (skin rash, stomach pain, diarrhea, even shock- like with peanuts). a sensitivity may have the same reactions (except for shock) but can be outgrown if the body is given time to heal by eliminating the food for a while. most babies have sensitivites rather than true allergies.
when will you be able to have dairy again? hard to say as its very individual. my son is nine months old and is still sensitive after i eliminated dairy when he was only 2 weeks old. while a friend's daughter outgrew her sensitivity at 5 months. if your daughter has eczema that could be a dairy sensitivity too.
good luck- it can be overrwhelming for sure. our happier children make it all worth it!

jen
mama to jack
born at home

1 - 3 of 3 Posts