Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I'm working an elimination diet to figure out what's making my baby sick. And its working! Eczema and rash fading away.... no more pink in the dipes.... my zen baby is returning! I'm starting to plug foods back into my diet- I got soy back! Who's using probiotics on their infant? I found an egg-free brownie recipe on the net and traded the wheat flour for brown rice flour... it really saved the day

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sambelina View Post
I have noticed improvement in her eczema except it gets worse in the car seat. A car ride that's normally 1 hr or so took almost 3 hrs. What do you all think? WWYD? Do you all give your LO's the dissolvable lactobaccilus? HELP!? Sam
Maybe she has a reaction to the carseat that was exacerbated by the long ride? I'm giving maxibabydophilus. From what I've read its important that the baby gets bifidus, not just acidophilus. Some people say b.infantis and reuteri too. I wouldn't cheat until I have a baseline clear happy baby. Good luck!
Lisa

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
So check this out... my witch-doctor chiropractor gave me some homework to help me find out which foods I need to eliminate. Here's what he told me to do:

Get a crystal and suspend it point down from a piece of string.
Put a food in the palm of your hand.
Use your other hand to hand the crystal over the wrist of the hand holding the food.
The crystal will start to move from magnetic energy of your body.
If it moves in line with your arm then the food is okay for you.
If it moves across your wrist then it is bad for you.

The results were clear for me, and I couldn't fool it or misconstrue the tale. Wheat and cow dairy are off my list for a long time to come...

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
A good old quartz crystal will work... no special prep work - just dive in! I've found it to be a pretty sensitive method- it picks up the trace amounts of stuff I shouldn't have... hope it works for you!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Stacey- that's super! isn't it great to find something that works???

We're doing well on our elimination diet too and hadn't found anything beyond wheat and cow dairy until NEWMAN-O's. What in the world could be in that short organic ingredient list that we are sensitive to?

This morning I was gazing on my sleeping baby, thinking this is the first time that her skin has looked great in almost six weeks- progress!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Yes, I get really tempted to eat what I want. But I haven't done it since the first week. This week I figured out why I can't eat Newman-O's - sugar!!!! I'm right there with ya in the being hungry department. But I feel like if I keep working hard at this and find and eliminate the stuff that my baby is sensitive to, then just maybe she'll be able to outgrow this. Its worth it to me.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Sorry to hear about the quinoa Kerri, and that you're having such a difficult time. You know what the right thing to do is. We'll support your decision.
Lisa

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to try out a food, stressing when you do, and staying away from some stuff without trying....

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
msfidget- I don't know much about starting solids, but I'm thinking I'm going to delay as long as possible and give my baby a chance to stabilize her gut. I'm beginning to wonder if my baby wouldn't have a sensitivity if I didn't. I think now I was showing signs all through my pregnancy and just chalked it up to hormones. So maybe if I wasn't eating wheat or cow dairy or sugar all along then she wouldn't be sensitive now. BTW she's gassiest with the sugar, and now it seems so am I. Just food for thought.
L

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by msfidget View Post
question about wheat...
i've been avoiding dairy, soy, wheat, eggs, fish, and nuts. but i've only been back to being strict about it for a couple days.
a friend of mine who did an elimination diet for 9 months until her dd got allergy tested told me that the wheat elimination is done if you're worried about celiac sprue or something. is that true? i'm very doubtful that sprue is the issue here, so i'm wondering if it's ok for me to put wheat back in. what are your thoughts?
I don't know what sprue is. But eliminating wheat turned out to be key for us. The eczema went away 99%. We've been off it for almost a month I think. We can tolerate all the other glutens, and spelt is back on the menu! Our version of the elimination diet started us out with only chicken, rice, non-cole veggies and non-citrus fruits. Then I started adding in one food at a time to see what she reacted to. I didn't even get to try wheat, it just happened to be an additive to wasabi and soy sauce and she reacted strongly enough for me to investigate.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tashantx View Post
It really seems to be helping we are not having the ideal breastfed poops but the mucus is almost nil...my ds is 5 m/o and has spread his bm's out they vary greatly but I don't dread the mucus anymore !! I think the teething tablets aggitate him a little but it's almost worth it.....anyone else find success by changing to more organic foods? I must say I feel a lot better too!!
My 4 mo dd is not able to tolerate the teething tabs because they are lactose based. It took me two weeks to figure that one out... sorry baby. Since then we've gone without, although she wears an amber teething necklace round the clock.

We're gluten free, no cow dairy, no sugar, no celery or onions or garlic, no sulfites/sulfates, no vanilla, no fragrances and finally feeling good. Baby is back to baseline and I feel better that I have in 13 months (pre-preg).

I think the pregnancy triggered a wheat allergy in me and I didn't recognize it until 6 wks pp. So all that time I was poisoning me and my baby. I hope we can heal up from this.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
FA is food allergic. We react to even trace amounts of wheat. I've learned a mountain from the folks at POFAK- kidswithfoodallergies.org. She'll definitely get celiac support there.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Glad you made it over here! That's so excellent you figured out the corn. Nice work mama... but it does sound like you have more detective work to do. For a goal I suggest one day at a time! It will be worth it mama... remember being so happy when the constant puking went away? You can figure out the green poops too- one day at a time. Welcome!
Lisa

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
Thanks for the support! I didn't realize before that you're from our old DDC

Do you think she'll get better in the neediness department? I have a hunch it might because she's not always high needs. Sometimes she can actually hang out on the floor for half a day playing with her toys and hanging out with me and ds. Other days we can't set her down or even sit down with her in our arms. Some days car rides are tolerable and other days she's screaming the entire time.

I keep telling myself that as a bonus to her getting better that perhaps I'll lose the last 10 lbs of baby weight and maybe I'll find out if I'm sensitive to something. I have always had under eye circles so I am somewhat curious to see what I find.
Do you ever come over to our DDC "offsite"? There's alot going on over there- lots of fun! Yes, I do think she'll get better in the neediness department. And yes, you might lose those 10 lbs. And the allergic shiners will probably go away... All great incentives don't you think?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
We react pretty darn quick. DD's symptoms show up about 24 hours after I ingest the poison. And most of them disappear just as fast...

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Shelsi- Is there anything you started eating on the TED that wasn't common in your diet previously? Anything that you're eating in larger quantities now? Unless the baby caught a bug then you'll need to switch the TED to something that works for you. Now I reread your post and see rice could be the culprit. I agree to switch out to quinoa. LOVE QUINOA. And as for your waking schedule- its not that out of the ordinary to wake every 1.5-2 hours to BF. But excessive spitting is a problem... And sorry to hear your DH isn't on board. Dammit, you're doing this for his angel. It isn't easy either. About POFAK, I hang out around there too. It isn't MDC (very logged in Western medicine) but there's alot of BTDT, especially in the breastfeeding forum.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by meg-momto2 View Post
hi ladies. looks like i'll be hanging around here for a while. DD is 5 months old and has a terrible rash all over her body. after spending hours reading about food allergies i'm almost certain that was it is. i can't believe how much i looked over her symptoms until this rash popped up. we're seeing our naturopath on Thursday and i'm off dairy at the moment. after we meet with her i'm think i'm going to go on a TED. can you recommend a good book or site to get started with?

has anyone had to deal with pumping and stored BM? i work full time and can't bear to toss my freezer stash of milk. especially since i can barely keep up with her.
Good to see you over here Meg- Sorry you're having trouble with Mia. And glad you're going to see a naturopath. We've been around the block with Taslyn... the full body rashes have a way of grabbing your attention. Ours came from two sources- lactose in Hyland's teething tabs, and my eating too much eggs, onions, garlic and celery which put us on sulfur overload. In case any of that helps. As for a helpful website, I don't know. I just did alot of reading, put it all together and took out what was useful for me.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Meg- I say trust the pendulum. At our house the mantra is, what does the crystal say? And as crazy as it all seems, we are healthier and happier when we listen to it. My DH comes from a right wing family who is TOTALLY supporting our method because it is working. I'm not crazy about being wheat free- but I'm willing because my baby is happy that way. Maybe the TED will show you that wheat IS bad for you. Or maybe you'll find a different answer. All I care about is the answer. Good luck Meg... I can't wait to hear good news. PS we like Florasone too. But finding the cause is better. I hope its really just dairy for you!!!!!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
We had brown rice gravy at Xmas. It was delicious. I don't think you'll get satisfactory results trying to use rice or quinoa flour for breading. But buckwheat or potato starch should work well...

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.