Mothering Forum banner
21 - 40 of 518 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Heat cna exacerbate eczema, so if DD has any at all and gets hot, it gets worse. As for cheating, I'm completely off my diet at the moment. Bad momma! I'm trialing a new elemental formula and trying to find a good turkey source - but I'm more procrastinating about it. I just hate the darned diet..I admit it. If she completely tolerates the elemental, I'll be considering weaning....Probably won't but it'll be tempting. If not, I have that extra push to force the diet (I'm always bad when sick and I've got a nasty cold ATM) HOwever, once I go back on, I don't cheat. It kills me, but I don't.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I just wanted to pass on big hugs to all of you mamas from a "survivor" of the allergy elimination diet. I went on an elimination diet at 5 1/2 weeks with my dd, and slowly built up my diet as she tolerated it until now- at 23 months I can finally eat anything in moderation (too much cow's milk or dairy and she reacts but otherwise we're okay).

Around a year was a big turning point for us- her gut seemed to really mature and begin to tolerate much more both from the breasmilk and eaten directly. I totally credit our hard work with how well she is doing now.

Though I don't really belong on this thread I hoped I could offer a bit of inspiration, since the turkey and rice days felt pretty bleak sometimes.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I'm a lucky member of this tribe.

I'm pretty sure Dairy is our culprit. Although I myself am sensitive to wheat. I can tolerate it, but man is my nose runny if I've had some bread the night before!

I miss chocolate
: but I do believe I've had my fair share in life

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
So check this out... my witch-doctor chiropractor gave me some homework to help me find out which foods I need to eliminate. Here's what he told me to do:

Get a crystal and suspend it point down from a piece of string.
Put a food in the palm of your hand.
Use your other hand to hand the crystal over the wrist of the hand holding the food.
The crystal will start to move from magnetic energy of your body.
If it moves in line with your arm then the food is okay for you.
If it moves across your wrist then it is bad for you.

The results were clear for me, and I couldn't fool it or misconstrue the tale. Wheat and cow dairy are off my list for a long time to come...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zion View Post
. . .i can't seem to find the cause of the slimey mucousy poop!! . . . what els causes this
I did find this website see #16; I hope it helps. I'm glad I found this thread. I'm trying do the candida diet, well, mainly no dairy, okay, no milk, but am eating cheese/butter/some yogurt, no wheat, no sugar. I am starving! Okay, I just feel like it. It's so frustrating at times, looking at things and knowing I can't eat ____. And then I think, I'm not eliminating near as much as some of you gals!

Is anyone else on an elimination diet for thrush/yeast? Oh, I'm looking for a yummy, easy bread recipe. I don't bake much, mostly from mixes previously, do have a bread machine(that I've never used). I got some amaranth flour, and it's too nutty-tasting for me. Tapioca makes the things I've used it in just kinda gooey. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
So check this out... my witch-doctor chiropractor gave me some homework to help me find out which foods I need to eliminate. Here's what he told me to do:

Get a crystal and suspend it point down from a piece of string.
Put a food in the palm of your hand.
Use your other hand to hand the crystal over the wrist of the hand holding the food.
The crystal will start to move from magnetic energy of your body.
If it moves in line with your arm then the food is okay for you.
If it moves across your wrist then it is bad for you.

The results were clear for me, and I couldn't fool it or misconstrue the tale. Wheat and cow dairy are off my list for a long time to come...
NO way! That's awesome! I must try this.

Can you help me with the crystal part? Like, what kind? I'm totally clueless when it comes to that. I'm picturing quartz...but I know that can't be right. Do you have to do any prep work beforehand, like energizing the crystal with your own body first?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
A good old quartz crystal will work... no special prep work - just dive in! I've found it to be a pretty sensitive method- it picks up the trace amounts of stuff I shouldn't have... hope it works for you!

·
Registered
496 Posts
hi you know this not really related to the food elim aspect but I'm wondering if you would consider this to be progress ....I'm dairy and soy free for a while now I'm thinkin almost a month I've laxed on the food diary
well ds has started to poop a lot less before he was doing several rather large poos now he does 1 small it is still snotty but I feel like jmo ok but if he is using more and wasting less that would be good right?
: his little mood is definately better and his reflux is not as painful (dosen't scream everytime he's layed down) also he seems to really be filling out he's very long but lookin a little pudgy and out growin some clothes
haven't weighed recently too much hype! but these are all iprovements I just wonder iyo if the poop thing sounds like a normal occurence or an improvement?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
For us, no but for you, it does sound like a good sign! For us, she's constipated when BFing w/o diet changes. When she's getting an allergen direct (like citric acid in benadryl) she has horrid diarrhea and much mroe frequent. When diet is perfect, well, I haven't seen that in so long I don't remember. BUt yours def. sounds good. Sounds like he's not completely there but is def. making improvements!!

Update on us: We're sooo much better! Quinoa is the miracle food that made my TED doable. DD slept last night....ALOT! I think her shortest stretch might have been2 hours, and the rest were 3 hour increments!! I'm sooo thrilled! HAng in there mamas - There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Mtn mama: I know some one who did something similar (She held food with both hands and if her practicioner could get hands apart, not a good food) and managed to successfully treat Idiopathic PUlminary Disease and send it into remission...Something Drs. said was absolutely impossible to do!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kierdan'sMom View Post
For us, no but for you, it does sound like a good sign! For us, she's constipated when BFing w/o diet changes. When she's getting an allergen direct (like citric acid in benadryl) she has horrid diarrhea and much mroe frequent. When diet is perfect, well, I haven't seen that in so long I don't remember. BUt yours def. sounds good. Sounds like he's not completely there but is def. making improvements!!

Update on us: We're sooo much better! Quinoa is the miracle food that made my TED doable. DD slept last night....ALOT! I think her shortest stretch might have been2 hours, and the rest were 3 hour increments!! I'm sooo thrilled! HAng in there mamas - There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Mtn mama: I know some one who did something similar (She held food with both hands and if her practicioner could get hands apart, not a good food) and managed to successfully treat Idiopathic PUlminary Disease and send it into remission...Something Drs. said was absolutely impossible to do!
: good to hear! daniel is napping on his own w/o being in my arms now too! hes not arching his back and screaming ....the reflux symptoms are almost zilch!
knock on wood! My depression is gone too! I was loosing it foe a while there! life is better with sleep

·
Registered
630 Posts
Just wanted to put out a little PSA on probiotics.

I was giving DS probiotics for awhile and his eczema just got worse and worse. Turns out that he has severe food allergies and there was casein, fish and soy lurking in those "safe for baby" probiotics. Most kids don't have the severe allergies that my little one has, but it is good to really check and double check those labels for allergens (or call the company, best yet). No pointing in cutting dairy from your diet if baby is ingesting casein (basically all probiotics contain traces of dairy--even the hypoallergenic ones from Kirkman Labs)!! UGH. I felt SO badly when I realized this and I fear that it really provoked his system to react even worse to dairy. That said...I do take a probiotic from Kirkmans myself now and hope that DS gets some of the benefits through the breastmilk.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ainh View Post
Just wanted to put out a little PSA on probiotics.

I was giving DS probiotics for awhile and his eczema just got worse and worse. Turns out that he has severe food allergies and there was casein, fish and soy lurking in those "safe for baby" probiotics. Most kids don't have the severe allergies that my little one has, but it is good to really check and double check those labels for allergens (or call the company, best yet). No pointing in cutting dairy from your diet if baby is ingesting casein (basically all probiotics contain traces of dairy--even the hypoallergenic ones from Kirkman Labs)!! UGH. I felt SO badly when I realized this and I fear that it really provoked his system to react even worse to dairy. That said...I do take a probiotic from Kirkmans myself now and hope that DS gets some of the benefits through the breastmilk.
I haven't had trouble with excema so I can't say that has improved but our problems have been gastro related and sleeplessness along with irritability I am dairy and soy free at the moment and we use Dr. Ohhira's probiotics 12 plus vegan ingedients non dairy non gmo natural prebiotics (fos) 36 micronutrients 12 strains lactic acid bacteria potent th10 strain including b infantis and bifidus and bifidobacterium also as amino acids and they use a 3 year fermentation.... they are pricey so I give them to my son and I take them a couple times a week the other days I take plain ''dairy free acidophilus'' the website for these if you are interested is
http://www.EssentialFormulas.com

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Hi mommas
I am doing TED for ds who is showing signs of food allergies. He has blood in his stools and wakes every 1-2 hours all night. I am eating turkey, rice, pears, cranberries (craisins, and the canned stuff), and white potatoes. I tried to include sweat potatoes, but ds had a reaction the following night and I suspect they were the culprit. I am using Kirkman hypoallergenic daily vitamins and calcium supplements. You have to look everywhere for the allergens!

I have been doing TED for over a week and ds is a changed baby! We also recently started him on Zantac for reflux (I am certain he has this too). He sleeps all night waking only once to nurse and quickly go back to sleep. I haven't slept this well since before I was pregnant with him! I will TED as long as ds keeps getting better. We'll check his stool again next week for blood and make decisions based on the findings. I am optomistic

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Stacey- that's super! isn't it great to find something that works???

We're doing well on our elimination diet too and hadn't found anything beyond wheat and cow dairy until NEWMAN-O's. What in the world could be in that short organic ingredient list that we are sensitive to?

This morning I was gazing on my sleeping baby, thinking this is the first time that her skin has looked great in almost six weeks- progress!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Do you ever want to just say forget it with the ED? The thrush keeps coming back no matter what, and I was so hungry the last week right before AF. I felt like I could not get enough to eat and I wanted bread and something sweet so badly!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Yes, I get really tempted to eat what I want. But I haven't done it since the first week. This week I figured out why I can't eat Newman-O's - sugar!!!! I'm right there with ya in the being hungry department. But I feel like if I keep working hard at this and find and eliminate the stuff that my baby is sensitive to, then just maybe she'll be able to outgrow this. Its worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So I lost quinoa yesterday
Totally bummed. I replaced it with pumpkin seeds. IF they don't work, then I'm seriously thinking about weaning as I can't find a safe magnesium supplement and I have to have a source in my diet. I've been at this since DD was 7 weeks old, and its getting tiring to constantly worry and guess. Poor kid has massive issues and days like today I think a safe formula would be better (If there is a safe one)

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Sorry to hear about the quinoa Kerri, and that you're having such a difficult time. You know what the right thing to do is. We'll support your decision.
Lisa

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kierdan'sMom View Post
So I lost quinoa yesterday
Totally bummed. I replaced it with pumpkin seeds. IF they don't work, then I'm seriously thinking about weaning as I can't find a safe magnesium supplement and I have to have a source in my diet. I've been at this since DD was 7 weeks old, and its getting tiring to constantly worry and guess. Poor kid has massive issues and days like today I think a safe formula would be better (If there is a safe one)
that stinks
Can you get it in a supplement? I'm taking Kirkman hypoallergenic supplements and I think it has magnesium. Guess I better check since I'm only eating rice, turkey, cranberries, potatoes, canola oil, and sugar/salt. I really hope these next stool tests show no blood in his stool. If there is I am going to start getting ds used to a bottle. I can't eat less than I already am!

Anybody else terribly constipated?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Sorry to hear about the quinoa loss. I still haven't tried it yet. Partly because DS seems to tolerate wheat in my diet (or I pretend he does??). Anyway. I also have this weird feeling that I'm allergic to it. It's the weirdest thing. Whenever I pick up a box of it I get this very bad feeling. Maybe for DS, maybe for me? Who knows. I might have to give it a go for DS at least, as his wheat trial is rather inconclusive and probably a fail (given our track record). I hope that the pumpkin seeds work out for you! I think that you can have pumpkin if you can have the seeds...what's the concensus on this?

I regret that I didn't do a TED early on. Now it's easier for me to just trial things on DS directly...although I get very stressed and very scared every time I give him a new food. Or sometimes I don't want to know if he's allergic because then I'd have to eliminate. Bad momma, eh? I waited on grapes because I didn't want to have to stop drinking wine. Very bad momma
. Luckily he passed and I can still have some vegan wine when I *need* it

21 - 40 of 518 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.