Mothering Forum banner
501 - 518 of 518 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
These are copied from POFAK too. I think most people use canola, but I used olive oil.

Hilary's Sweet Potato Cookies
approx 1 cup boiled (drained, keep the water for cooking rice, give it more nutrition) then mashed sweet potatoes (very approx, I never did measure)
1 cup flour (I used brown rice flour)
1 T potato starch
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup rice syrup (could use any sweetener that is safe)
1 t salt (sea salt, of course)

mix all together, should be sort of thick, not runny at all.

make blobs on a cookie sheet, flatten with fork, so they look sort of like peanut butter cookies. Bake at 375 or so, about 20 min or until just starting to turn golden on the edges.

Hilary's TED Sugar Cookies
[Tweak as needed, per Hilary's instructions]

mix together 1/4 cup oil (I've been using extra light olive oil, but plan to intro canola very soon)
1/2 cup sugar (I've been using Domino organic cane sugar or Florida Crystals)

then add
1/2 tsp baking soda (I was told it shouldn't be a problem on a TED, and it hasn't been for us)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 to 1.25 cups rice flour (I'm using Bob's Red Mill brown rice flour)

blend all together, and ideally should be about the constance of sugar cookie dough. Usually though, I find it's too "crumbly", won't hold together well, so I add about 1/8-1/4 cup of water.

Then you have to play around with the best way to make the "cookies". making drop cookies didn't work very well, they didn't melt much. so far, for me, the best way has been to make about 1" balls, then flatten them with my hands.

Bake at 350-375 (our oven is really old, so I'm never sure exactly what the temp is, lol) for 10-11 minutes. remove to a cooling rack or plate right away, as they cool they get very crumbly.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
man this is a long thread...don't know if I can keep up.

we are officially egg and dairy free. I can see a big difference in ds's diapers!!

: to everyone, esp. the mamas on TED.

oh and what great sweet cookie recipes...gonna have to try some

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
mamas!

i have been off dairy and soy since dd was 2 months old, and she's 8.5 months now. her intolerance was never particularly severe: she'd just get what we called "mean" gas and spit up much more often. no rashes/eczema, no ring around the anus, etc. i could often have small amounts (for example, a bite of cake or something) of either without any effect at all. she is fine with goat/sheep dairy though i try not to eat much of it, either.

i've tried to reintroduce cow dairy but without fail after a few days (it seems to "build up" in her) she starts to spit up/have gas that makes her fussy/etc. so no dairy/soy for me. ice cream season has been a little rough, but i've adjusted no prob.

in the past couple of weeks, her poop has been...off. sometimes yellow, but sometimes green. most of the time it has some seeds/curds. but...sometimes it's also mucousy. these mucousy poops are gonna be the death of me...they make me so worried. she's had them before -- mostly when she's been stuffy, though and they usually go away. but she's not stuffy now, although i believe she is teething and she keeps making this post-nasally snot-sucking sound lately so maybe she is just swallowing mucous?
at the same time, she's been getting them maybe every other day for at least three weeks, so it's making me worry. i actually cut nuts because i thought it might be related to a bunch of maple roasted walnuts i ate for a week
and that made a marginal difference...i think.

she's a happy, healthy, chubby little kid -- she is in the 95% in both height and weight. but i worry about this mucousy poop. in the absence of any other indicators, would you worry? and if you would, what would you do? i'm being much more diligent and not "cheating" at all on dairy/soy to see if that clears it up...but what else? would you keep a food diary and see if that indicated anything before cutting anything out?

part of me just wants to do a top-eight ED and just see if that clears it up but it's already been a challenge for me to eat (i'm veg so lunch in particular can be a PITA without cheese/fake meats/nut butters) and i don't want to go crazy for nothing. i sort of have control freak tendencies
and tend to micromanage so i wonder if that is what is going on here; at the same time it makes me sooooo unhappy to think i might be making my baby sick by consuming something she has an intolerance to.

advice?

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
im not sure mama but im right there with you, im vegan so i allready dont do meat or dairy and my littke baby has a soy intolerance so now eating is a pain for me!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had to eliminate dairy about a month and a half ago and glad to say that along with that and acid reflux medicine my little one is MUCH happier, but I am wondering if we are getting enough calcium. The pedi didn't mention it at all and I forgot to ask.

I am still taking my prenatal vitamin because I am nursing, but do I also need another calcium supplement? Thanks for your advice

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone still visit this thread?

After more than a few bloody, green mucous poops in my 14-week-old DD diaper, I decided to consider food allergies. I am now on a modified elimination diet (started two days ago). I eat:

Turkey
Salmon
Squash
Leafy greens
Carrots
Rice
Potatoes
Apples
Pears
Cranberries

So far poop seems back to normal and no more blood... but it's only been two days. Thought I'd drop in here to see if anyone else is currently going through this.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I'm still here. I hope the TED works for you! And then you can start adding some more foods in. Nice work getting this far!

We're currently avoiding wheat, rye, barley, spelt, oats, kamut, triticale, corn, garlic, eggs, celery, tomatillos, green beans, bananas, kiwi, avocados, grapes, grapeseed oil, olive oil, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds, cow dairy and probably some other things that I'm not thinking of right now.

DD has been doing really well, though her reflux is flaring today because we just lost grapes yesterday.

Lisa

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Came back to add that after 15 months on an elimination diet, my nutrients are skewed- though my daughters nutrient levels are good. I'm VERY low on calcium, and low on A, C, E, oleic acid, biotin, and asparagine. I guess I've got an absorption problem going on because my diet should be more than sufficient.

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
What kind(s) of testing did you do to figure out the nutrient deficiencies?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
My ND did a Spectracell analysis blood test. After we got the results we decided to screen for urine porphyrins (heavy metal signatures) and a stool test w/parasitology from www.doctorsdata.com . The baby had standard bloodwork done at the Children's Hospital.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't have allergies but digestion is poor, so lots of foods I avoid, or combinations at least. I think we're also prone to candida so we are trying to address our microflora issues with cultured veggies and avoiding the sugary/yeasty foods (Body Ecology Diet).

The link in my signature is a breastfeeding website put together by a raw foodist mama! Her children all have excellent health. Raw foods is really amazing...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank goodness someone on this thread (sorry... I forget who... it's so long!) mentioned gravy made with rice flour. Otherwise, I would have give up on this elimination diet the first day!

Anyhoo, after more than a week, I'm still seeing plenty of dark green poo... and still seeing a little blood. I had really been hoping it would start clearing up, but it hasn't yet. But I haven't given up hope. I'm still sticking with the diet.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have finally decided to take dairy and soy out of my diet since baby is way too gasy. Hopefully I will see some results soon. He keeps waking up really early in the morning with gas, cramps, and cant sleep at all. It's only been a few days, but things seem to be getting better. Its going to be hard since I love cheese and yogurt, but I hate to see baby so uncomfortable!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was doing an elimination diet with just these foods:

Turkey
Salmon
Squash
Leafy greens
Carrots
Rice
Potatoes
Apples
Pears
Cranberries

But it didn't seem to help. I didn't notice a change at all in her poop. So now I am just eliminating the big 8 or 9 allergens, and we'll go from there.

501 - 518 of 518 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.