Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a bit on here and decided looking further into an elimination diet for my 17mo...This will be done as a family though, so my other son, 6yo, will be on it as well...My SO thinks it's a good idea and is even willing to participate (I'm shocked by this)...His only concern is nutrition...I have no idea where to start on supplements at all...I read all these lists that people take and just go "Huh?"...I understand that they can be helpful but I'm still learning the whys about it all...<br><br>
Also, the diet we seen was on Dr. Sears page (seems more like a total elimination diet than elimination)...The only problem I see is the grain...My 17mo can't have rice (per lots of watching him with rice) and I'll be honest, I have not a clue what millet is...Is there a substitute for the grain or something nutritionally equal that we can add in? He also can't have wheat or gluten so I'm stumped on what to do...<br><br>
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...We are planning on doing this after Easter so that gives me plenty of time to prepare for this...Thanks y'all...

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
We use buckwheat, but there are a lot of other grains that are gluten free- millet, teff, quinoa, ...<br><br>
During the elimination diet, I wouldn't do any supplements. Those need to be trialed just like any food, especially since many contain allergens. (Like vitamin E is usually derived from soy, vitamin C and many others are derived from corn, etc.) You shouldn't be on the ED long-term, so skipping out on the vitamins for a couple weeks shouldn't be a big problem.<br><br>
I think that the Dr. Sears diet is a total elimination. You could try just taking out the top 8 plus a few other common triggers like corn, food dyes/preservatives, refines sugars, and nightshade veggies.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts