Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two DC - I suspect both may have food allergies/ sensitivities. I want to try eliminating foods and keep a food journal, but don't know where to start for sure.<br><br><b>Background:</b><br><b><span style="text-decoration:underline;">DS1 (4 years old)</span></b><br><br>
Rash (mild) - He has had since he was 6 or 8 months old I am sure. Doctor says it is atopic dermatitis and he will outgrow it.<br>
Dark circles under his eyes.<br>
Mild constiaption. - Maybe not drinking enough water.<br>
Sleep - he has never slept through the night, but he is improving, currently waking once a night.<br>
Prone to tantrums.<br>
Aggressive with brother, but improving - instead he has a meltdown rather than hitting/ pushing.<br>
Spacey/ doesn't always focus well - sometimes instruction has to be repeated 3x<br><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><b><br>
DS2 (2 years old)</b></span><br><br>
Diarrhea since birth - smells acidy - easily gets diaper rash if not changed immediately. He is on probiotics for 3-4 weeks and are seeing some improvement.<br>
Poor sleeper - up 4x/ night atleast.<br>
Picky eater.<br>
Dark circkes under eyes.<br>
Peanut allergy - hives, vomitting, red eyes (Dr. did prescribe epi-pens, but will not refer to allergist untill he is 3)<br>
Other reaction to possible kiwi/chinese food - both eyes swelling shut, crying as in pain - swelling went away with Benedryl, but left two black eyes - gone by next day.<br>
Occasional blotchy rash around mouth<br>
Occasional hives.<br>
Also, I may not understand this correctly, but Dr. had and Ige antibody blood test done and he said it showed no allergies, but I know he had a reaction to peanuts.<br><br><b>My questions:</b><br><br>
1. Do these symptoms sound like they may be related to food allergies with DS1? DS2?<br>
2. What foods do I start eliminating first? I thought I'd start with Dairy and Wheat? Should I try both at the same time?<br>
3. Keeping a food journal - What do I do? The symptoms with DS2 (diarrhea) are pretty much constant.<br>
4. DS2 is still nursing (4-6 times in 24 hours), so do I still need to keep track of what I am eating? eliminate foods as well?<br>
5. Any other ideas also appreciated.

·
Registered
178 Posts
First of all, I would question why your Dr. will not refer you to an allergist until 3 years of age. Why not? Do you need a referal for insurance reasons? I would seek a second opinion if you have to have a referal.<br><br>
1. Do these symptoms sound like they may be related to food allergies with DS1? DS2? <b>Yes in both!</b><br>
2. What foods do I start eliminating first? I thought I'd start with Dairy and Wheat? Should I try both at the same time? <b>I would start with soy and the rest of the legume family because of the known peanut reaction.</b><br>
3. Keeping a food journal - What do I do? The symptoms with DS2 (diarrhea) are pretty much constant. <b>Here's a good place for you to start <a href="http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/food-diary-helping-uncover-food-allergy-triggers" target="_blank">http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide...lergy-triggers</a><br>
Constant diarrhea is NOT normal or healthy and I would seriously push this topic with your doctor!</b><br>
4. DS2 is still nursing (4-6 times in 24 hours), so do I still need to keep track of what I am eating? eliminate foods as well? <b>Yes, the food diary and or elimination will be helpful for you to do as well.</b><br>
5. Any other ideas also appreciated. <b>If your doctor or pediatrician does not take these issues more seriously (I don't think giving you an epi-pen and calling it good is sufficient) I would ask for a second opinion.</b>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts