Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any way possible i can help my VERY reluctant DH? he has had some issues for several years now that point to food allergies. he's been avoiding and avoiding and finally he gave up and went to doc who tested him for a bunch of stuff and then told him it was probably a food allergy and the only real way he could find out what was bothering him was with an elimination diet.<br><br>
DH is more than resistant to doing this. but he might actually be in a place where he is ready to go *something.* he keeps saying he can't live without dairy and wheat, and i reminded him it's only two weeks and if people can survive concentration camps and can go two week without dairy and wheat. we tried it before and he went a week being "almost" wheat free. i noticed that his symptoms really flared with all the GF corn cereal he was eating, and so he cut it off and went corn free for 2 weeks and nothing changed, so i think it's dairy. but i also wonder if he has celiacs. (i grew up with mom who is celiac)<br><br>
hmmmm.....<br><br>
any tips? i feel like he is totally bugging the crap out of me to "fix" this and really i feel like i can't help much until he decides to really "do" the diet.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
1. Will he eat what you cook?<br>
2. Will he cheat?<br>
3. He needs to WANT to do this or there's no point. You can try a couple of meals, and then when he likes them, you can say, see there was no _____ in that, and it was still tasty. It's probably not that he doesn't want to do it for 2 weeks, it's that he doesn't want to find out he's intolerant to something and then have to give it up for years possibly.<br><br>
I will tell you my plan, which is to take him off dairy, gluten, soy, and corn, because those are the top 4 intolerances, for two weeks. Then take out other foods (or food families) one at a time, every 5 days, until you get to baseline (no symptoms). Have him keep a food journal with symptoms during this time, so that he can SEE what he is eating and the relation (this will be proof if he needs it later).<br><br>
I have lots of recipes on my blog. There are also recipes in the sticky at the top of the page. There are plenty of tasty recipes. My DD2 has been on it for over a year. DS has been on it for a few months, and so have I. When you feel so much better, you're really not tempted to cheat (okay, okay, chocolate was a hard one for me to give up, but the big 4? No way). If he gets to baseline just on the 4, then you want to add things back one at a time to figure out the culprit(s).<br><br>
Do you have a Trader Joe's near you?<br>
Do you have a Whole Foods near you?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts