Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been dairy free(except for a bit of goat cheese once a week) since mid-November, and have added eggs and most recently soy, to our suspected allergy list. This has helped with allergy symptoms,(exzema, hives, enlarged Lymph nodes, disrupted sleep and others in Dd2) (accidents, mood issues in dd1) but not eliminated them. There are other symptoms in both girls that I believe are allergy related as well.
We are planning on having IgG blood testing done through our ND, but not for another month. I think our next step is a more thorough elimination diet, but what and how long? I've been reading a lot on this site and I'm reading Is this Your Child? by Doris Rapp MD and I'm not sure which is more accurate, a longer time or a shorter time? Do we go complete or just the rest of the top eight?
Can someone give me an idea of what works better or is more accurate?
I'm getting quite overwhelmed as the list of allergens gets longer. I would like a quick answer but I know that is not always the most accurate way.
Does anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. I guess it's worth a try, we did go no dairy at all for a few weeks in the beginning, but added some goat cheese in desperation.
We were a cheese loving family for a long time, and I was concerned about Dd1's diet, or lack thereof.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Is there something in particular that you're worried your dc is missing without cheese (calcium? fat?). There are lots of other foods that can make up for the nutrients/calories you can find in dairy products. How old is your dc?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually both calcium and fat for dd1, she'll be four next week. She is a picky eater and won't eat avocado's, and we have a lot of seafood and fish allergies in our family, so we've avoided them. I've been using hemp flour and ground flax and will be starting oils this week. Although it will be tough to get them into her I think, I'm going to start with adding the oil to smoothies. She is on a multivitamin, but I wish she would eat a larger variety of foods. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Definitely dump the goat cheese. If you want something cheese-like that is soy and dairy free, try VeganRella... it's rice based, no soy or dairy.

Are you guys okay on coconut? Coconut milk is a good source of fat, and makes a pretty good pudding.

You might want to add IgE allergy tests to your "to do" list. Eczema is usually a sign of IgE stuff going on. Make sure that whatever kind of testing is done, that they test for environmental allergens too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use coconut milk in our pancakes and just bought coconut oil, but they seem to react ot the oil. I'm still testing this one. Can they be ok with one and not the other? I'm now second guessing the c milk. This is all so confusing, I just wish we could figure it out.
They are doing IgE testing as well. We are assuming that she has IgE issues too, as the little one gets hives. The test that she's doing is for 98 different foods. I'll have to ask about environmental allergens, although I'm assuming there are some.
Is VeganRella readily available?
Thanks everyone so much for your input, it's nice to have other people to ask who know the lengths you're going to to ensure the health of your dc's.
ps. WC_hapamama can I have your recipe for coconut pudding?
:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Momo'sMum... I cheat on the coconut pudding. I take a box of jello instant pudding, a standard sized can of coconut milk, and wisk the two together.

You could do the same using Oetkers Organic pudding mix, but that's a cook and serve pudding, so follow the package directions.

I've seen the Vegan Rella at Whole Foods Market and my local health food store.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.