Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, need advice. I need to get an excersize machine of some sort. Can't decide between the treadmill or an elliptical machine. What would you get and why? Which do you think would be most effective if I had 20-30 min a day to spend excersizing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Well, I think the treadmill would be the most effective, because you could run on it, and I find running is really great exercise for me. But, if you have knee problems, don't like running, etc. then I would recommend the elliptical. It is low impact which is really nice and easy on the joints. I don't think it's quite as intense as running, although you could certainly make it so by adjusting the settings. I also feel safer on an elliptical (I fell off a treadmill once, not pretty). Overall I would probably go with an elliptical if I were in your shoes, but it depends on your personal preferences.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
elliptical can feel funky for some people -- like their legs have to be too wide or something.

can you do guest passes at aYMCA or someplace and try both for a few days before buying?

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I agree with try them both out before you buy, but when I go to the gym (not nearly often enough anymore) the ellipitical is a better work out for me. Both machines I use give the amt of calories burned (after you enter your weight and age) and the elliptical was more every time. It can work all parts of your legs/butt and easier on the joints. It is a little funky to get used to.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerc
elliptical can feel funky for some people -- like their legs have to be too wide or something.
:LOL I have the opposite situation... the wideness helps with thigh rub.
:

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I would probably go with an elliptical..I actually use and like both machines but in my opinion unless the treadmill is a really GOOD one..I don't care for it.
and Eksmom I TOO have fallen off a treadmill it hurts and is humiliating..I am the geek that ALWAYS wears my saftey clip now. as for burning calories..my treadmill will burn the same amount if I turn up the speed and incline.....It all depends on my mood..but for home I would probly try an Elliptical or maybe a gazelle..I heard they were fun...

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Yeah, I have a tip: If you find that you are falling off a treadmill, LET GO! I hung on while my knees rubbed on the belt... I ended up with lovely bloody burns.

I usually wear the safety clip too, and I still can't look anywhere that doesn't let me see my feet at least in my peripheral vision.

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
I have always been a runner, I ended up buying an elliptical and I love it. 1.5 years later and I use it all the time. I feel that I get a better workout with it then running.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I agree, definaly try before you buy. They are quite different and you may not even like the elliptical or find the treadmill to boring. To get a good one your going to have to spend a good amount of money, so just make sure you try before you buy.

Or take your money and spend it on a good set of weights! I have gotten into MUCH better shape and lost a crap load of fat from doing more weights and less cardio (I only do 20 mins 3 times a week of HIIT for my cardio).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Personally I would go with the elliptical because my knees always get sore from running. I'd suggest trying both either at a store or go to a gym and try ... the elliptical can feel really weird until your used to the motion.

That said, it doesn't really matter what kind of machine you get ... you should just be comfortable on it and then you need to make sure your really challenging yourself [sprinting etc]. ANY machine is good, one doesn't work better for cardio then another, it depends what YOU put into it!

let us know what you chose

--Angela

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.