Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>dd 8 needs a computer mainly to get online. to watch her movies and play games. she needs her own machine.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>i am looking for the cheapest option.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>what would you recommend?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>a refurbished one?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>a lap top?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>this emachine? <a href="http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/466/black-friday-2010-buyers-guide-best-deals-and-sales/" target="_blank">http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/466/black-friday-2010-buyers-guide-best-deals-and-sales/</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>i dont want to go for the bottom of the line. or the top. but in teh middle.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>but mainly just need dd to get online.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>i have no one to ask for advice.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>what should i get?</p>

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
<p>I would not go with a laptop for an 8-year-old. I have responsible kids but accidents happen. I have replace more than one key board or mouse because of drink or food. Our cats knocked off a monitor.  It amazingly didn't break but it does boil down to kids being kids and caused a chain reaction.  Laptops break easier.  You cannot "cheap" replace a monitor, disc drive, or keyboard. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>With a refurbished or low cost pc you can do it cheaply.  And many times do the work yourself.  Replacing things like disc drives are really easy!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I currently have a laptop.  It drives my carpel tunnel crazy.  I do wonder what effects it would have on my kids.  </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
<p>What the PP said, and raise an "I wouldn't buy an emachine."</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have been warned that the emachines then to be... Um, less than stellar in the performance department and have a tendency to stop working shortly after the warranty expires.</p>

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
<p>I'd go for a used/refurbished desktop as well. Laptops are pretty fragile, and their portability makes young people want to... port them places. And then they get dropped/stepped on/dog puked on/who knows. A desktop stays in one place and is less likely to get damaged.</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts