Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda scary too.... Everytime I go to the toilet (As in bowel not bladder...) theres always all this blood, and I have to wait for ages after I've gone cos more blood comes.... And it can be quite painful. Its been happening for a few weeks now, when it first happened I assumed it was a once off thing and ignored it, but its kept on going and now its sorta worrying me cos I'm pretty sure its not the kinda thing thats meant to be happening... I think I'm going to have to go to the doctors, but I hate going soooo much... And its sorta an embarassing thing.... Theres bound to be examinations and all which will probably be even more embarassing and intrusive.... Any idea what it could be?? Or anything I could do OTHER than go to the doctor...? (Plus being 32 weeks preg probably doesn't help......)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
to you mama! Having to worry about this and be pg all at the same time!
What color is the blood? Are you actually voiding it out or is it dripping (such as from hemmorhoids)? Is there any pain along with the bm? Do you have abdominal pain at all during the day or night? I think these are the kinds of questions that the dr will ask you during an examination.

·
Registered
454 Posts
It's probably hemorrhoids.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never had anything like hemorrhoids but even the sound is unpleasant..!

The blood is bright red, and most comes out in the toilet bowl by itself, the stuff after I get with toilet roll kinda just comes out.... There is pain with the bm, and I get abdominal pains too, during the day and the night....

·
Registered
495 Posts
Sounds like Crohns or IBS to me.

Crohn's disease is an ongoing disorder that causes inflammation of the digestive tract, also referred to as the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Crohn's disease can affect any area of the GI tract, from the mouth to the anus, but it most commonly affects the lower part of the small intestine, called the ileum. The swelling extends deep into the lining of the affected organ. The swelling can cause pain and can make the intestines empty frequently, resulting in diarrhea.

Crohn's disease is an inflammatory bowel disease, the general name for diseases that cause swelling in the intestines. Because the symptoms of Crohn's disease are similar to other intestinal disorders, such as irritable bowel syndrome and ulcerative colitis, it can be difficult to diagnose. Ulcerative colitis causes inflammation and ulcers in the top layer of the lining of the large intestine. In Crohn's disease, all layers of the intestine may be involved, and normal healthy bowel can be found between sections of diseased bowel.

IBS

Abdominal pain, bloating, and discomfort are the main symptoms of IBS. However, symptoms can vary from person to person. Some people have constipation, which means hard, difficult-to-pass, or infrequent bowel movements. Often these people report straining and cramping when trying to have a bowel movement but cannot eliminate any stool, or they are able to eliminate only a small amount. If they are able to have a bowel movement, there may be mucus in it, which is a fluid that moistens and protect passages in the digestive system. Some people with IBS experience diarrhea, which is frequent, loose, watery, stools. People with diarrhea frequently feel an urgent and uncontrollable need to have a bowel movement. Other people with IBS alternate between constipation and diarrhea. Sometimes people find that their symptoms subside for a few months and then return, while others report a constant worsening of symptoms over time.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I know it's embarassing, but I'd really urge you to seek medical help, especially since you're pregnant. It may just be hemorrhoids, but it could be more serious. And it would be really bad if this led to an infection or other complication.

I hope everything turns out okay and you're comfortable again very shortly!!!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Definitely need to seek medical attention. The symptoms of Crohn's are consistent with your experience. My mom has Crohn's and it has been very treatable for her.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
could also be colitis. same symptoms as chrohns but slightly different cause. i've got colitis and pregnancy seems to make it flare up for me. it kinda comes and goes though depending on how much stress i've got in my life and wether i take any medication, what i'm eating etc.

see a gastroenterologist.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Rainbowsmom,

Please go see a doctor. It will only worsen as your pregnancy progresses. And if you have to do some intense pushing with that baby you could end up with anal fissure or worse. I had to have surgery mine was so bad.\

I had the blood, painful (lots of crying!) bms and constant muscle spasms in the sphincter. Just awful. Please, please get help. I know how embarrassing it is, but I believe the chronic pain led to PPD.

Take care!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamanurse
With Ulcerative Colitis, she'd be more likeley to have dark red or black blood rather than bright red.
not necessarily

I had ulcerative colitis for 10 years (just had my colon removed and an internal jpouch formed on 7/10) and my stools always had bright red blood. Darker blood comes from higher up in the GI system, so if there is inflammation in the left side of the colon or rectum the bleeding is usually red.

The main symptom while I had UC was urgent, bloody diarrhea. I recommend seeing a good GI. There are some great meds (Asacol, for one, which is completely safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding) that can get it under control for you if it happens to be UC.

hang in there, and please check back in and let us know how you are doing!

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
Bright red blood is usually hemorroids. Look them up and see if that makes sense.

Check out Healing the Gut Tribe Cheat Sheet.

If you have digestive pain could you be constipated or not digesting your food properly?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I have Ulcerative Colitis and have bright red blood---thought it was hemorrhoids for almost four years
before getting the correct diagnosis. It does sound like either Crohn's or UC, both of which are known as Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, and both of which have similar symptoms (some others include abdominal cramping/aching, diarrhea, joint pain, etc). UC is the easier of the two to deal with, as it only affects the colon, and CD can affect anywhere along the digestive tract, from the mouth down.

Best of luck

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Bright red blood means it's something lower down in the gi tract than the stomach. A bleeding ulcer for example is a dark colored blood. Could be hemorrroids, or a combination of something and the hemorrroids or something else entirely. I had bleeding when I was about 21 years old that was bright red and I went to a gastroentorologist she determined it was internal hemorroids, but I didnt think they would cause the amount of blood I had (much more than a few drops or so) I insisted that I have a sygmoidoscopy (like a colonoscopy but not as deep). The doctor said I was too young to have a polyp or tumor in my colon, but this goes to show you that doctors dont know everything because it turned out I had a polyp that was causing the bleeding. Thank god I had it removed because if left they can become cancerous.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by grace474
How are you doing, Rainbowsmum?
I'm doing OK thanks. My doc appointments for tomorrow, not exactly looking forward to it, but hopefully they''ll be able to figure out whats wrong (Fingers crossed).

Thanks for everyones suggestions, I wouldn't have thought it was that important to go to the doc otherwise

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Umm problems are continuing,
I went to the docs yesterday, and turns out they thought my apt was Thursday next week so I'm holding out until then
: Cannot wait to get it sorted.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.