Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a day I've been sort of dreading came today - dd asked me a loud, clear, difficult-to-handle question in public.<br><br>
I'm pregnant, and we were standing in line for the bathroom in front of a mama with a 3 year old and a new baby, so we were talking about babies...<br><br>
and dd, 2.5, pointed to a plus-sized woman and said, "Does she have a baby on the inside?" I glanced at the woman out of the corner of my eye and said, "I don't think so" as quietly as I could. Thankfully, dd dropped it.<br><br>
Maybe the woman missed the whole interaction. And the word "pregnant" never was uttered. But - I really hate the idea that potentially we made someone uncomfortable or hurt her feelings. And we are NOT, as a family, people who are nasty about people's varying body types - and I want to keep it that way.<br><br>
So. How to gracefully introduce dd to the idea that there are sensitive subjects that aren't appropriate for general conversation? How to handle this situation should it arise in the future? (Ok, so clearly it will at some point!)<br><br>
Any insights?

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I would probably just reply 'I don't know' and leave it at that. If you were just talking about babies, is it possible it was just b/c it was a woman you saw and not necessarily the plus size? My dd is very 'that's a boy, that's a girl' sometimes and she's just trying to figure things out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts