Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8 mo has a viral infection (fever, rash, occassional cough, runny nose). Pedi said we could give our DS 1/2 packet (500mg) of Emergen-C powder a day. I take about anywhere from 3-6 of those a day. I also take CLO and echnicea. Is this ok? I am so hesitant to give him anything other than probiotics.
She also mentioned we could give him some drops of an echinacea tincture, but not sure if that is a great idea.

Anyone BTDT? I thought Emergen-C has sugar in it...or flavorings....

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
I would give him the Vita C for sure but not necessarily the one you have. For the time being I guess it's ok. Vita C's side effects are diarrhea, so if it does not agree with him or is too much, he'll get a loose stool.

Here is what we do:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...03&postcount=2

And I would do that for an 8 months old. Especially the SA (sodium ascorbate)

At Bronsons' Vitamin shop it is item # 50B (just in case you need to get it quickly.) It comes within 2 days to the house.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by New_Natural_Mom View Post
My 8 mo has a viral infection (fever, rash, occassional cough, runny nose). Pedi said we could give our DS 1/2 packet (500mg) of Emergen-C powder a day. I take about anywhere from 3-6 of those a day. I also take CLO and echnicea. Is this ok? I am so hesitant to give him anything other than probiotics.
She also mentioned we could give him some drops of an echinacea tincture, but not sure if that is a great idea.

Anyone BTDT? I thought Emergen-C has sugar in it...or flavorings....
Btw, fever, rash are good symptoms. He is building immunity.

I would use the emergen-C until I could get the sodium ascorbate. He may vomit the CLO if he starts to cough and cry. Same with echinacea tincture, but you could try both. Not on an empty stomach though. I would not encourage either too much if he does not like the smell. Leave it up to him.

I am not too familiar with the Emergen-C. It does not contain artificial sugar, does it? I am thinking of Aspartame???

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
Btw, fever, rash are good symptoms. He is building immunity.

I would use the emergen-C until I could get the sodium ascorbate. He may vomit the CLO if he starts to cough and cry. Same with echinacea tincture, but you could try both. Not on an empty stomach though. I would not encourage either too much if he does not like the smell. Leave it up to him.

I am not too familiar with the Emergen-C. It does not contain artificial sugar, does it? I am thinking of Aspartame???
emergen-c has fructose in it. and I guess I wasn't clear - I don't give DS CLO or echinacea - I take that myself in the hopes to fortify my milk. I will check your link.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.