Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need one?
I'm kinda just thinking that if something happens, I let the ER do what they need to do. But I honestly don't know...

Quick answers would be appreciated. Particularly from those of you who have transported during a homebirth, but ANY answers will be appreciated.

I know the basic stuff like what I want done with DC once born (re circ, vax, etc) but what about me?? C-sec birth plan? Other things?

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
Are you planning a homebirth?

Honestly, my birth plan was simple. "Please ask the mother and father. They are very informed about their birth choices and would like to be involved in their care if conscious."

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I meant to write a birthplan with my first homebirth(my first bith as well), but I never did get around to it. I just never wanted to think that much about actually having to transfer. I never did, but we almost got to the point since I had a long 8-9cm stall. In retrospect, the situation I was in, I would've been able to write or have dp write one for me during my labor, but I know that is not always the case. I probably should write one this time around. As a Doula I tell people to keep it short and sweet. I am more the type that will say "I don't consent to", instead of "I prefer" here's a quick one:

We have planned a homebirth, but if I need to transfer to a hospital, my wife(partner) will be with me as well as my midwife.

I want as few interventions as possible. If interventions appear to be necessary, I want to be consulted on all things before they are happening and a chance to talk with my wife and midwife before anything is done.

I do not want to be offered any pain medications, I know what my options are and will ask for them if I want them.

I do not want any medical students observing or participating in my birth.

I want to have freedom of movement in labor and pushing with intermittent monitering whenever possible

I will ask for vaginal exams when I am ready for them.

I want to be able to push as I see fit, not simply because I am complete, and no coaching is required. I will not be counting to 10.

I do not want an episiotomy.

Once the baby is born I want him placed immediately on my belly unless he is unstable, and the cord left intact until it has stopped pulsating.

I do not consent to active management of the 3rd stage.(no prophylactic pitocin shot, no cord traction)

If a c-section becomes necessary at any time, I would like an epidural for the operation. I want my wife to be there for the procedure. I want to be able to see my child as soon as he is born

I do not consent to erythromycin eye drops.

I do not consent to a vitamin K shot.

I do not consent to a hepatitis B shot.

I do not want my son circumcised.

I will be breastfeeding and do not want my child given any formula/sugarwater/pacifiers.

If my child needs to be taken to special care, my wife will go with him.

I don't know if I left anything out. There is so much I don't like about hospital birth, but I know that if I need to be in the hospital there is probably a good reason for it and some of the birth plan will go out the window in that case, which is okay. My baby is more important in the long run.

·
Registered
774 Posts
My husband Shaun and I actually worked on this last night. For us, we are planning a homebirth but are willing to go in to the hospital at any given moment (its right down the road, lol). So far we made up a list of questions for the doctor, we will see where he stands on all of our concerns and also get his perspective on if our wishes will be honored by whichever staff may be present. We also are going to find out what our hospital's policies for c-section are (just in case) and ensure that i can stay conscious and that Shaun can be with me and then be handed the baby while i recover. We will refuse that our baby be put in the nursery or given any ANY treatments until we say so.

I thinkit's important becuase imagine how you will feel if you do need to transfer? The last thing you want to worry about will be argueing with staff, so best to have it all laid out in black and white so you know all you wishes are there to see, right?

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
I agree...it's not something you "want" to think about, but it will be worth it's weight in gold if you do transfer.

We had an unplanned (and totally unwanted but by then necessary) c/s. The fact that we had written a quick "what we want in a c/s emergency" was a life saver for us since there was no way, in the emotion of the moment, that we could have remembered much or been able to communicate it in a positive way to the hospital staff.

So it's certainly worth spending the time discussing what you would and would not want in a "worst case" scenario. For example, even in an emergency c/s you can request a spinal so you're awake (call ahead while you transfer so the team is prepped), you can ask that the staff be quiet/respectful/not chatty, you can have your partner announce the sex, you can make certain that even if the babe isn't allowed to stay in the OR during your stitching that they remain with your partner until you join them in recovery, you can request breastfeeding assistance in the recovery room or ask to recover in your "permanent" room. Things like that can make a huge difference after the fact...

So yeah, it probably wont be necessary, but in the small percentage of times when it is...a birth plan for transfer is a must!

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Wombatclay, that is really helpful. thank you.

I was thinking in terms of what to do in case of a precipitous delivery. I am expecting baby #5 and all have been precipitous. Only baby #2 was delivered on the way to the car by my husband so this is the emergency we prepare for. I never again want to stand on a street corner and call for him to take my panties off (at least not for that reason
).

·
Registered
354 Posts
I transported after 41 hours in labor and I was so very clueless. This was before I found MDC and a plan would have alleviated so many issues and simplified an already chaotic time. After my experience, I would make sure to be very specific re: treatment of the babe after birth, especially if you are in a family-unfriendly hospital (as we were). My son was given sugar water, formula, etc. in the nursery. Communicate that you plan to breastfeed and that trumps all else. (He was in distress which is why they took him, but honestly then I didn't even know to push for having him room in with me.)

Also, I don't know if this goes on a birth plan or not, but I would communicate somehow that your child will stay with you and any testing can be done when it is convenient for you. I had a nurse come in and tell me that they will be taking my son in 20 minutes for this, that, and the other. I was trying to salvage our nursing relationship and this didn't work with us, but boy I was fought on it. Hopefully, you will not need to worry, but it would have been nice to be covered. HTH!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.