Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is 19 months old and I have just started my monthly for the first time since his birth. I will be going to see my FP early Jan and would like to know what kind of BC to ask for. I wanted to try the patch but from what I have read it says not for breastfeeding mothers. I assuming they are referring to younger nurslings. My husband and I are positive that we do not want any more children, however we are not willing to have either vas. or tubals done. We find them un-natural and risky.
So, what can I do? I would like to double up on the birth control if I can.
Hubby does not like condems, male or female ones. I am not too keen on the IUD idea either so I guess I am left with pills, patch and diaphram.
Please give me all the info you have.

· Registered
3,831 Posts
We use fertility awareness method with condoms. We've not had an oops, and after 3 cycles, it's really obvious to me when I ovulate and we just avoid during that time.

I don't know if this would work for you, just throwing it out there.

· Registered
1,030 Posts
Fertility Awareness (Taking Charge of Your Fertility, www.tcoyf.com) is an excellent way to do exactly that. No matter what life stage you're in, TTC, TTA, perimenopause, nursing, etc, it's a good way to learn about your body and make decisions based on what's happening. It's not the rhythm method, and it's not NFP. Check it out!

· Registered
5,828 Posts
Patch and regular pills have a greater chance of mucking with your milk supply. If your child is old enough that it doesn't worry you, then I'd go for the patch.

I take a progesterone-only pill, and I've been on it since 6 wks postpartum. Like Depo-provera, the lack of estrogen makes it considered okay while breastfeeding, but unlike depo if you have probs with it you can stop it immediately because it's a daily dose rather than 3 months. I haven't had any probs w/ it, though. I also haven't had my period return, due to nursing or the pill I don't know (and don't much care, LOL!)

There is also a monthly shot option.

· Registered
71 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravin
There is also a monthly shot option.
This is Lunelle and actually isn't recommended for breastfeeding moms because it contains estrogen as well as medroxyprogesterone acetate (the same progesterone as is used in Depo-provera). While this isn't as much of a concern with an older baby, it's not considered a best first choice because it can reduce milk supply even after it's been well-established.

The Kellymom website has great info about birth control and breastfeeding:

http://kellymom.com/health/meds/birthcontrol.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.