Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of us that are going to be getting impatient the last 2 week or so before our due dates I thought it would be fun to brainstorm about ideas to encourage/simulate (I won't really call it "inducing") labor. Of course some of these may be old wives tales, who knows! But at least it feels like we are doing something, even if it is just playing with our nipples!

-Nipple stimulation
-Thunderstorms
-Full moons
-Spicy food

There are lots more.....chime in!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I tried it ALL last time (my little girl was 2 and a half weeks overdue). As a result part of me wants to say I know it won't work I'm not even gonna try and get my hopes up. But I know in a couple weeks I'll be hoping this little one wants to come a little early. My birth kit is not completely put together and my hubby wants to do one more belly painting but other than that we are ready to meet this little one!

I'll probably stick to trying these things:
Fresh Pineapple
Eating foods that make you poop
walking
sex
maybe some EPO capsules

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Maybe by hoping labor doesn't start just yet, it can encourage it? What are you doing, body? I'm leaking something... we did just have a thunderstorm.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Here is what worked for me:

-give the baby permission to come (worked with both...should have made them hold off)

When my labor started to stall, mom and dh massaged my feet really good (especially my ankles and balls of my feet). We used massage oil that is off limits for pregnancy because one or two of the oils can, in extreme cases?, cause contractions. Don't know that the oil did anything, but the massage made my contractions really pick up fast. The nurse said we could also try nipple stimulation, but that was too strange since we were in the hospital already. I also did a lot of balancing on the birth ball using the balls of my feet to alternate pressure. My sis did a lot of these things though, and nothing happened. I think most of these just work if your body is already going into labor.

I have also heard that eggplant and spicy foods are good. I think the big project is a good one, too!

I really have to say that pressure from storms and such does make a difference. The hospital was very full when I was there, and we had bad storms that day and night. I knew I would probably have a baby around a storm because I have been having such bad problems with them, but I didn't think they were strong enough to throw me into labor that early. All the women from our storm went home, and the unit was full again yesterday. We had to go back up for a forgotten test, and all the labor rooms were in use. We had massive storms with flooding, thunder, lightening, and the like on Sunday and Monday.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
Oral sex (the kind where you swallow)

Didn't we JUST talk about this??

That's not working for me, but dh has been enjoying it.

No storms in sight for San Diego! The weather is frustratingly beautiful.

All my big projects are done. The buyer's inspector & assessor were even out yesterday, so I won't be having to worry about anyone needing to trapse through the house anymore.

Maybe I'll go for a long walk tomorrow morning after I drop DD off at school. DH would love it if I went into labor on his birthday.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
bArb- Did I miss the part where you sold your house, or did I just forget? How cool! Sending hubby birthday vibes! We are thinking of going out to eat for lunch or dinner for dh's birthday tomorrow. Hmmm! Surely, I can keep people away from the baby for just one meal, right?

I thought sperm had to actually be in the other place because of the body's reaction or something. I didn't hear that the oral kind worked, too.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel L View Post
bArb- Did I miss the part where you sold your house, or did I just forget? How cool! Sending hubby birthday vibes! We are thinking of going out to eat for lunch or dinner for dh's birthday tomorrow. Hmmm! Surely, I can keep people away from the baby for just one meal, right?

I thought sperm had to actually be in the other place because of the body's reaction or something. I didn't hear that the oral kind worked, too.
I'm going to
if my little Tom comes on our husbands' birthday. We got an offer on the house 2 weeks after we put it on the market. We're all set to close July 18th and head to Texas July 19th!

I read somewhere that semen taken orally is supposed to work better. Not sure why.

·
Registered
188 Posts
How about this? They let me stop working at 38 weeks so next Tues. is my last day. Next Wed. I asked my hubby to take the day off so we can go to the movies together (a matinee -- I was thinking Knocked Up -- apropos and I heard it's funny & laughing can get contractions going...!) and eat a spicy lunch or the meal I ate before my h20 broke last time -- Bertucci's margherita pizza and a salad with balsamic vinegar. Oh and enjoy some love in the afternoon.

The Irish in me also figures it's a Murphy's law thing and if I have elaborate plans for the day I'll go into labor!

We are also supposesd to move out of state on July 17! Our house sold in late March and we are in a very small temporary place. We may not be present at our closing on the new place though and our move date is flexible so we'll see...

·
Registered
245 Posts
The oral sex thing seems to have worked for me with DS#1. I didn't know it at the time, but prostaglandins is believed in some circles to be better absorbed through the stomach lining. Hence the oral sex/swallowing thing. Let's just say that about 30 minutes after doing that, at 39 weeks pregnant (I was too afraid of inducing labour by having intercourse, ha!), my water unexpectedly broke and labour started immediately! Now I know better and have been avoiding that activity for a couple of weeks now...

And the eggplant suggestion - I read somewhere recently that Eggplant Parmesan is thought to spark labour, but that it's the herbs (basil and oregano) that likely do it, as opposed to the eggplant itself. Either way, it's all good for you so why not try eating it? It sounds yummy - certainly yummier than the aforementioned anyway!

·
Registered
996 Posts
I ate almost an entire pineapple myself the day I went into labor. I cut it open for breakfast and shared a little DS. The rest of the morning I kept snacking on it--I wasn't trying to go into labor, it just tasted so darn good
. When I started having contrax in the afternoon, I took it out of the fridge and ate the rest of it. When I was talking to my sister about it later, she told me pineapple was what did it for her too. She was a week overdue so she sat down and ate an entire pineapple one afternoon. The next morning she went into labor

I think storms help too. Too bad we can't control the weather
. Right after Alice was born it got super windy and it blew hard the rest of the night. The next morning was calm and sunny. And when I went into labor with DC#2, it was thundering. When I looked out the window afterward there was a layer of snow on the ground. That's always seemed kind of magical to me.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Last time within 24 hours of me going into labor (I was 2 days overdue and SO ready!
) I ate an entire pineapple, a dinner of spicy food, had a foot massage, walked a few miles, and had sex-- we tried it all! I also sat through the movie "Raging Bull" which DH had read in some expectant dad book had worked for someone else.
So, one or all of those techniques worked for us, though I really don't feel like watching that movie again... Hope this baby decides to come a little early rather than late!

·
Registered
771 Posts
I am due on the 4th and dh said it is going to be a sex fest the all that week if I am still pregnant and I am sure I will be.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I had heard the eggplant parmesan too. others I don't think I saw in other posts (although I do have preggo brain!
):

castor oil (an irl friend in the may ddc used this one successfully)
blue and black cohosh, homeopathic or tincture (some controversy over the safety of the herbs, but not in homeopathic form)
sucking your thumb
EPO inserted vaginally to ripen the cervix
marijuana (just for the record of course
)
acupuncture/ acupressure points

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.