Mothering Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>DS is nine, and it continues to be a struggle to get him to clean himself up!  He does have a daily bath, which sounds like a great thing, but he refuses to use soap, and while in there will not get his face wet or often even his hands.  Basically, he sits for a few minutes in a tub of water and calls it "done."  In his opinion, his face is washed if he does one quick swipe across his mouth with a wet hand.  We frequently send him back (sometimes two or three times) to wash his hands with soap, but the vigilance required is difficult to maintain!  He will not accept help to wash his hair, which we ask him to do once a week.  He keeps it short, so easy to care for, but I think he puts a bit of shampoo on the top and rinses in the bath water, so doesn't really get it clean or the residue out.  He washed his hair last night, and it looks greasy and dirty today.  Doesn't smell clean either, although there is a slight scent of shampoo.  I have to be very vigilant about teeth brushing, too.  He would never bother without being "sent," and frequently claims that he has done it when I know darn well he hasn't.  I know that alot of this stuff will right itself when he begins to notice girls, but is there anything I can do in the meantime to get him to care a little more?  I've never been much of a believer in charts and "rewards," but I need to try something to get him to take responsibility for this stuff!  I don't feel like I should have to chase him around every single day.  I've talked to him about it...how and why he needs to do this, but he just doesn't care what other people think!  And although he understands how cleanliness is important in remaining healthy, I guess that somehow doesn't apply to him!  So I'm about to resort to paying him, lol!!  Unless I hear some other ideas?  TIA!   </p>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts