Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11,391 Posts
Congratulations Holly! I, too, hav a similar story. We had been ttc for almost 2 years when I was finally dx with PCOS and prescribed glucophage. 3 months later I was pg without any other medications or interventions. Before that we had tried 1 iui, 2 ivf/icsi (my dh was dx with low sperm count also) and 1 fet. All wer bfn. I even had a doctor tell me that I had an anembryonic sac (blighted ovum) because according to my dates they thought I was 8w pg when I was only 5w. I had been charting and using an opk so I knew when I ovulated and when I concieved. He said I would need a D&C. My baby is now 5 months old. I believe glucophage was the miracle we were searching. Even if it doesn't help you get pg, it still may be very important to take for your general health.

·
Registered
11,391 Posts
I continued to take glucophage through my first trimester because there are studies that show it reduces the high risk that women with PCOS will miscarry. I think the m/c rate in women without pcos is around 15% where the risk with pcos is upwards of 30%. I actually went against my OB to take the glucophage while pg. He would not prescribe it for me so I went back to my RE and got a script for it. I did tell my OB I was taking. At 12 weeks I just stopped, no tapering off. I have also recently learned that some doctors say it's safe to take while breastfeeding. Check out the pcos websites like PCOSA and Soulcysters.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.