Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I open my front door to get the mail today, and sitting on top of the mailbox is a big package from Enfamil
: Inside are two cans of formula and a little "informational" pamphlet for breastfeeding mothers. Besides the
so-called breastfeeding "tips" that involved either giving a bottle or weaning altogether, they had a section about how your breast milk might not have enough DHA and yada yada yada. There are coupons in there for this supplement they make. Grrrrrrr NOTHING IS WRONG WITH MY MILK!!!

I dont understand how these formula companies get away with it, I really don't. And to top it off the box it came in was dented and looked horrible. Who would feed their baby formula that came in the regular mail!?!? The entire tone of the advertising was that breast milk isn't good enough, and I could easily see how a woman could think "well I'll just give the formula that has all these things in it instead of taking this supplement".
:

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama Poot
I dont understand how these formula companies get away with it, I really don't.
Because the US is too important to agree to follow silly things like WHO codes...
:

-Angela

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ok we need to find out where the owner of the company lives and totaly throw that stuff at his house white powder all over his yard. Sorta like TPing the house but Formula instead. I so wish we could do that and get by with it. Here is your free samples.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I am curious - what are you going to do with it? We always take ours to the local WIC office. A friends suggested tossing them though.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Somehow I escaped these people! I never got any formula in the mail. How do they find out who you are? It's kind of creepy!

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
consider giving it to a domestic violence shelter.
You're not really promoting ff by doing that. If a mother is being abused, and leaves, she often goes to a shelter with nothing. If she needs formula, she needs fornula. You can't do much about a mom who never nursed who now has a 9 month old who needs formula, you know? It's not the time to bring up the concept of re-lactating with her.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyJoy1975
Ok we need to find out where the owner of the company lives and totaly throw that stuff at his house white powder all over his yard. Sorta like TPing the house but Formula instead. I so wish we could do that and get by with it. Here is your free samples.

Oh, that would be perfect!
Imagine the look on his face when he steps outside in the morning and sees, like, a few months' worth of formula samples sent to MDC mamas all over his yard. If we could do it I totally would, too.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
SILLY! Of course your breast milk isn't good enough! If it was how would those formula companies EVER sell formula? But don't feel bad...nobody has good milk....that's why all the hospitals pass out those wonderful goody bags the formula companies are so generous with. They dont' want you to feel too bad about being inadequate.
:

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
i never got that stuff. it sucks that they send it though. i donated the formula i was given to the katrina victims in our local shelters.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama Poot
they had a section about how your breast milk might not have enough DHA
It actually says THIS?! Wow!

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Wow I can't believe they have a section that actually says that! That's really infuriating!
:

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfp02
I am curious - what are you going to do with it? We always take ours to the local WIC office. A friends suggested tossing them though.
A local thrift store is also an outlet for Second Harvest Food Bank. they accept formula cans....ohhhh boy are they gonna get a shipment from us!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I wonder why they conveniently don't mention that a couple of eggs in the morning will do the same thing as the supplement?

Oh wait.... I know why

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm an intern at a lactation center in my area and they keep sending those DHA/ARA supplements to the office. We have like 3 boxes full!!! Basically, the concept is "if breastfeeding mothers don't buy formula, then maybe we could get them to buy something else and be our customer anyway". They want a piece of nursing mothers' a$$ and what better way than to have a "gateway drug" like Enfamil DHA/ARA for nursing and pregnant mothers. They're full of crap! I do like the idea of donating it, but I would personally take the lead of a few mothers on this board and send it back with " RETURN TO SENDER: In violation of the WHO Code" on it. But I'm just mean like that.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
When I bottle fed my older children I didn't recieve not ONE can of formula, but when I succeeded in nursing my last 3 I did get it. I guess they figured since I was bottle feeding I didn't need the free formula. I don't remember now what I did with those cans, but I do know that I wasn't going to have it in my house when the baby was born. It would have been very tempting when I hitting bumps in the breastfeeding road. Having formula in the house when my older children were born was a huge reason I gave up so quickly.

If I recieve any this time around I will probably donate it to the women's shelter here.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.