Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone having engorged breast already?

I dunno if it's because I tried out my pump or what, but mine are definately larger, heavier, and leaking
They also seem very warm to the touch.

It's better after I hand express a little though - and yes I do get quite a bit out. Somewhere around 1-2 teaspoons from each breast?

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Wowza! I was like this with dd1, but not at all this time. From 5 months onward, I actually needed to wear breast pads in my first pregnancy. The more you stimulate your breasts (i.e. by testing out your pump, or manually expressing milk), your breasts will keep making milk (well, colostrum). If you are looking to reduce the feeling of fullness and warmth, I would try cold compresses.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
This is a bit of a tricky situation, though. Only because if you stimulate full-out milk production, then stop, you may end up with supply issues after birth. I haven't encountered anyone who's had this problem, but I read about it in my courses. A woman would go into preterm labour, for example, which would be stopped. However, the milk production would kick into high gear, then shut down when no breastfeeding occurred.

Anyway, do be careful playing with the pump. A lot of women make milk before the baby's born, but if you end up getting full-out engorgement, you might want to seek some local advice from a LLLL or an LC who can assess you and see if there's anything you should or shouldn't be doing to ensure a healthy milk supply postpartum.

A drive-by posting from your friendly neighbourhood October mama

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.