Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone relate?
I am 23 weeks pregnant with a little boy and I have had many complications thus far. On Nov. 2, we got our genetics blood tests results that showed a high AFP level. The ultrasound showed massive fluid in the abdominal cavity (the doctor told us it was fatal). I had an amnio and more blood screening- all of which came back normal. I then had a pericentis done on the fluid in the baby, which it showed to be lymphatic (a good sign). We went back last week for another ultrasound and the ascities was almost gone but now there appears to be a problem with the kidneys. Both kidneys since a month a half ago measure 10mm too big for the baby's size (it was never an issue though until last week). The doctor also noted that my amniotic fluid decreased and is now down to 2.6 and the bladder is small. He says that this is fatal because the kidneys aren't working. I went back yesterday for a follow up, and the ascities is completely gone and nothing has changed with the kidneys, bladder, or amniotic fluid. The measurement of the kidneys at 23 weeks is 32. Can you offer me any hope or give me any suggestions for help? I feel like my doctor keeps giving us death sentences but our baby seems to want to be here, the heartbeat and brain function are normal. Suggestions?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts

My sister had a similar diagnosis with her little boy. I believe one kidney was very enlarged and one was too small. All sorts of dire predictions were made but as the pregnancy progressed they sort of evened out (but not completely). Ultimately he was born healthy and has no ill effects. He is now a happy normal 17 month old.

Hang in there! I can't imagine how stressful this must be for you.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts

My sons ultrasound at 20weeks-the long diagnostic one where you also find out gender-showed that both his kidneys were enlarged and he also had cysts on his brain. They told us that we had to get a level II ultrasound to better check it out. The brain thing went away and apperently it is common but that his kidneys were still enlarged so we would have to monitor them every month. I dont remember/know how enlarged they were but it was scary just having that complication in the pregnancy and the close monitering. After he was born, they did some tests on it and they all came back fine so they had no clue why they were like that. Eventually at one year only one was enlarged and then when we went back around 2 or 3 for a follow up, they were both fine. They just didn't know what why they were enlarged. But now he's a perfectly fine 3 1/2 year old little boy with no major problems.

I hope all goes well and he turns out to be a perfectly healthy boy.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i'm so sorry you're having such a difficult time!
i'm sorry your doctor keeps scaring you.

at my 20 wk ultrasound with Mr. Pants, his kidneys were enlarged. i don't remember how enlarged. they scared the fire out of me with dire predictions and i had to have several more ultrasounds to check it out but things leveled off just before he was born. i know it's a different situation--that was really the only trouble we had, but it was really scary. i can't imagine how frustrating and frightening it must be for you.

what i did (and i have absolutely NO idea if it did anything, but i felt better for doing SOMETHING) was drink lots of water. lots of water. lots of it. my cousin who is really up on herbal and natural alternatives suggested it. i don't know if she did this based on evidence or just to make me feel like i could do something. i think that's one of the scariest things of being pregnant--the feeling of helplessness that occasionally hits you.

you guys will be in my thoughts and prayers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.