Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
12,212 Posts
What a sad, frustrating day for that family. My kids would be upset and embarassed if that happened to us. Dh would probably *not* be able to remain polite and calm - I can just picture him getting hauled off, leaving me stuck with the kids and no flight.

Good for that mama for responding as she is.

· Premium Member
20,157 Posts
If this is the best they can do after that tragedy, they deserve to be sued:

Quote:
"A breast-feeding mother is perfectly acceptable on an aircraft, providing she is feeding the child in a discreet way," that doesn't bother others, Skellon said. "She was asked to use a blanket just to provide a little more discretion, she was given a blanket, and she refused to use it, and that's all I know."
:

· Registered
4,469 Posts
Oh my goodness. That's just stupid.

Sounds like that mama has a cool head, though, which is good. (some of us might have gotten a little nasty in there
).

What's the big deal with the discretion, anyways? Who covers up their 22 month old child to feed it?

· Registered
4,220 Posts
It's rare I see a child covered up. Most people tell me they tried to cover and kid was having none of it once they got old enough to yank the cover down. I never felt comfortable with my baby covered....

Jenn

· Premium Member
29,125 Posts
I hope they are sued into chapter 11 (or is it 7 or 13 whatever) I am so sick of this crap. Done. period. And fire that flight attendant. I'm sick of the puritanical attitudes in this country about BFing. Get over it people, it is a child eating a meal that is all.

UGH!

· Registered
6,154 Posts
I complained to Delta, but that was a code-shared flight. Freedom Airlines is the real culpret. Where does one respond to them?

Quote:
I just wanted to notify Delta that I will make it a point not to book flights with your airline in order to register my total and complete horror at the recent incident on your Freedom Airline affiliate flight when a breastfeeing mother was discharged from a flight for feeding her child. I am also notifying my frequent flying family members, all of them who support the right of women to breastfeed their children when need be to avoid Delta and your affilates as well.

Obviously both Delta's flight attendant and spokesman are not only woefully unaware of the laws in most states which protect the right of women to breastfeed their children, but are also terribly misinformed about the practical applications of trying to 'cover up' a 22 month-old while feeding. While this may work for a newborn, an older child will generally find that a blanket of this sort is meant only for a game of 'peek-a-boo' and will be promptly pulled off. As for your 'offended' flight attendant, I would suggest some corporate education and sensitivity training in appropriate interactions with breastfeeding travelers. I would further suggest that s/he save her offense for truely offensive acts - certainly not the feeding of a young child!

· Registered
1,648 Posts
"A breast-feeding mother is perfectly acceptable on an aircraft, providing she is feeding the child in a discreet way," that doesn't bother others, Skellon said. "She was asked to use a blanket just to provide a little more discretion, she was given a blanket, and she refused to use it, and that's all I know."

Come on, is it really only legal to bf if you are "feeding the child in a discreet way" that doesn't bother others?

And, for the record, my DH asked me not to use a blanket to BF when my first dd was a baby-he said it made it more obvious that you were BF and attracted more attention.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.