Mothering Forum banner

Environmentally friendly laundry detergent that cleans?

2K views 29 replies 24 participants last post by  jyurina 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a laundry detergent that's environmentally friendly but gets the clothes really clean. I've been using an environmentally friendly laundry soap that we got w/ our house water filter system. It cleans reasonably well, but doesn't do much for stains and DH complains that it doesn't smell very nice. My DS also has eczema and tends to be sensitive to soaps and detergents. He does fine w/ the current laundry soap (so I might just keep washing his clothes in it and our sheets too since he cosleeps) and he also tolerates Dr Bronners lavender soap (which I use on his dipes).

TIA

#3 ·
I like this one http://www.ecoproducts.com/Home/home...e_cleaners.htm
I get it from Costco for about $11 (does 100 loads). It has a citrus scent but doesn't leave a fragrance on clothing. I have sensitive skin and don't react to it. I always pretreat stains so I can't say how this does without pretreating. I'm happy with it - esp for the price!
ETA: just realized that doesn't link directly - I use the liquid.

#4 ·
I think Charlie's is pretty green:

http://www.charliesoap.com/products/

From the site:

Laundry liquid
# Contains no dyes, phosphates, UV brighteners or perfumes
# Hypoallergenic - Perfect for those who have sensitive skin
# Non-toxic and completely biodegradable

Laundry powder
* Hypoallergenic - leaves no residue - perfect for babies and those who have sensitive skin
* Dissolves completely / biodegradable

Our Laundry Powder is a revolutionary approach to laundry care. It does not cover up stains and odors with scents and brighteners - it really cleans. It is made with a unique blend of biodegradable coconut-based detergents and high-grade, completely soluble, Green River washing soda.

#7 ·
I am using the homemade resipe in the sticky at the top of the page right now, with Fels Naptha and borax and washing soda and oxyclean and it works pretty well -- you can use Dr Bronner's bar soap as the soap also. I also like BioKleen. I might get that just to use on dipes b/c I am not sure if the homemade stuff will leave buildup on dipes or not.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nadia105 View Post
I am using the homemade resipe in the sticky at the top of the page right now, with Fels Naptha and borax and washing soda and oxyclean and it works pretty well -- you can use Dr Bronner's bar soap as the soap also. I also like BioKleen. I might get that just to use on dipes b/c I am not sure if the homemade stuff will leave buildup on dipes or not.
It's a good idea to use vinegar in your rinse if your laundry detergent contains *soap*. Soap can build up on clothes and the vinegar helps prevent this. If you have a front loader, stick it in the fabric softener slot. If not, get a Downy ball and use vinegar in it instead.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MommyErin View Post
It's a good idea to use vinegar in your rinse if your laundry detergent contains *soap*. Soap can build up on clothes and the vinegar helps prevent this. If you have a front loader, stick it in the fabric softener slot. If not, get a Downy ball and use vinegar in it instead.
I forgot to mention that part
. I do use the vinegar in the Dwony ball, it works great! I just didn't know if it would be different with dipes. I will be using some prefolds, but some FB too, and those are a bit more finicky.

#11 ·
CHARLIES!!!
its awesome and fantastic. we use the powder, works FABULOUS getting all stink and stains out of everything, clothing, bedding, towels, and even diapers. in fact its the ONLY detergent we have used that didnt hurt DDs and my eczema. and it rinses clean. there is nothing like the smell of really clean clothes with no perfume, no chemicals, just CLEAN!!!! oh man, i love that smell. and most important, its earth friendly.

#14 ·
lol see, you never know who you might inspire. hahahahaha

i LOVE the free shipping. es;cially for the 5 gallon bucket! that would hav cost a TON to ship. they covered it.

#17 ·
For those who are Canadian reading this thread...

Nature Clean is AWESOME!!!! It is made from corn, has a full ingredient list on the label, biodegradable and is Canadian made!! I have been using it and Vinegar in the fabric softener area and I am in love!!! (well, as in love as one can be with doing laundry!!!)

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hananana View Post
I make laundry detergent out of a bar of Dr. Bronners (peppermint scented!), borax, and washing soda. 80 loads for less than $3. I use it on all our clothes and cloth diapers. Works great, smells good too!
Do you make this as a powder or a gel??

#26 ·
I love the Bi-O-Kleen products. Depending upon the load I use their liquid, powder, non-chlorine bleach, and Bac-Out. I've tried many products and Bi-O-Kleen is my favorite. (Although I've never tried Charlies.) Their products have no heavy scent, gentle for sensitive skin, and great cleaning. (The Bac-Out is wonderful for stains on clothing, carpets, etc.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.