Mothering Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"It was determined that isolation of the patient was appropriate," said the release from emergency management officials. "For their protection, other ED patients and visitors were contained until additional testing could be completed."
http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews...cle_7a960317-bf9a-5096-9f0a-9a6971205203.html

Coming from the generation that took chicken pox as a matter of "rite of passage", I am shocked that an entire ER department is shut down because someone has chicken pox.

MMM, in the title - adult chicken pox - these days, is there any other kind of chicken pox?

The ER in Texas was not even shut down last year for ebola, well, not until the guy went home and died!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I saw am article yesterday about it but the disease was not named.. they referred to it as a "public health risk". To close an ER for chickenpox-- WOW.. what did they do in the 80's me and every other kid had it? We LIVED and it was no big deal. This country is getting more sensitive on everything- sheesh...

·
Registered
669 Posts
We might be seeing more of those in the near future.

I had CP as a child and I remember being itchy. I had a fun week a my grandmas and got pampered a whole lot. I have fond memories of that illness. But in the kind of society we live in today, staying home for a full week is unwanted, undesirable and just impossible.

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
I saw am article yesterday about it but the disease was not named.. they referred to it as a "public health risk". To close an ER for chickenpox-- WOW.. what did they do in the 80's me and every other kid had it? We LIVED and it was no big deal. This country is getting more sensitive on everything- sheesh...
You either knew and were kept home or you were sent to school, the teacher sent you to the nurse and mom got a call - no one freaked except the teachers who knew they were getting a break with a small class!!! :joy Joy Freaking!!!

·
Registered
824 Posts
You either knew and were kept home or you were sent to school, the teacher sent you to the nurse and mom got a call - no one freaked except the teachers who knew they were getting a break with a small class!!! :joy Joy Freaking!!!
I talked to my mom about it and she said there was a group of us home with it so we took turns playing at each other's homes.. everyone had cornstarch paste on all the pox.. I also had poison ivy/oak at once twice a month too..

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
I talked to my mom about it and she said there was a group of us home with it so we took turns playing at each other's homes.. everyone had cornstarch paste on all the pox.. I also had poison ivy/oak at once twice a month too..
My DD's second grade teacher loved it each year! It was a break in her mind and that of other teachers!

People really have lost so much in such a short time on how things were!! :frown:

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Back in the pre-vaccine era, I went to the ER for chicken pox. They checked my pulse and temperature and sent me home. I was 12 years old, so sick and miserable. It was a "just-in-case" visit. No news stories, no biohazard suites, no fanfare. (I'm pretty sure that I became one of those scary, pre-vaccine-era hospitalization statistics, though). I won't make any commentary on chicken pox-related attitudes then v. now, but it's crazy how times have changed.

·
Registered
24,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Further explanation - http://www.cbsnews.com/news/patient-who-caused-kentucky-er-lockdown-had-chicken-pox/

The patient arrived at the emergency room of Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center in Danville covered in spots, said hospital spokesman Jeremy Cocanougher. They were far larger and more numerous than traditional chicken pox, which alarmed the hospital's doctors.

They learned that patient recently traveled overseas, raising their level of concern, Cocanougher said.

The hospital locked down the emergency room around 1:30 p.m.

The uncertainty dragged out for hours, as the hospital reported it did not have definitive information "that would either rule in or rule out that there is a risk to the community."

·
Registered
1,625 Posts

·
Registered
24,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think doctors do not know what they are seeing when they see chickenpox, measles, rubella, or mumps, so they hospitalize people, declare a quarantine, or isolation, and then they charge the patient so they can learn - a bit of on the job training.

Reactions: Mirzam

·
Registered
162 Posts
My DD's second grade teacher loved it each year! It was a break in her mind and that of other teachers!

People really have lost so much in such a short time on how things were!! :frown:
Ah, but now if kids missed school for a whole week, they'd surely miss some "important" standardized test. Don't you know that's the real purpose of education? To test!

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
Ah, but now if kids missed school for a whole week, they'd surely miss some "important" standardized test. Don't you know that's the real purpose of education? To test!
Yes! Both teachers & students LOVE teaching 2 test!!!! Regardless that most now miss due to asthma!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
how annoying, having working parents forced to stay home with their kids during a mild illness such as CP...that's why the vaccine came out in the first place, so parents 'wouldn't miss their precious work to care for their sick kids and lose money'... that was the spin put on the CP vaccine when it was first introduced, as i recall.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
The ER in KY should be glad I wasn't in the waiting room. Unless I was pregnant or immune compromised, I would not take to kindly to being "contained" until additional testing could be arranged - whether I had the chicken pox in the past or not.

Is chicken pox the new measles?

People are shaking their heads now. I bet your average Joe who vaccinates might even be shaking his head now...but you know, if they pull stunts like this over and over, eventually a high number of people will believe we need to be in a panic over chicken pox.

·
Registered
162 Posts
how annoying, having working parents forced to stay home with their kids during a mild illness such as CP...that's why the vaccine came out in the first place, so parents 'wouldn't miss their precious work to care for their sick kids and lose money'... that was the spin put on the CP vaccine when it was first introduced, as i recall.
On the other hand, as a working mom I can tell you that there are plenty of ways in which it seems that nobody give a darn about how hard things are for working moms. Affordable, quality childcare for under fives? good after school care for school age kids? allowing parents to take a decent amount of parental leave so they don' t have to rush back to work after having/adopting a child? No, let's not bother with any of those. Let's just take away the parent's right to make decisions about their kid's health.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Mild diseases get reframed as really scary once there's a vaccine for them.

People have begged for an ebola vaccine. Nobody begged for a chicken pox vaccine.

Another example is HPV. I've said this before, and I'm kicking myself for no longer having access to the links. When I first learned about HPV in the early 2000s, I went online to research it. Planned Parenthood's website used to have a "meh" attitude about HPV. Don't let the Religious Right scare you about HPV. It's mild, most of us get it, it almost always clears up on its own, and regular pap smears can catch the really bad kind before it leads to serious cancer. In other words, they weren't begging for an HPV vaccine the way people once begged for a polio vaccine.

Well, their site is undergoing maintenance today, but we'll have to peek at the latest HPV and vaccine information when it comes available again. It's quite a contrast.

With a vaccine for a mild illness, most of the marketing must be focused on frightening the public.

The convenience angle for the chicken pox vaccine disgusts me. Why demand paid sick leave for families when we can force a profitable pharmaceutical product on their children as a condition of education?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts