Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work full time plus I have HH cup girls which both make BF'ing difficult. So I EP. DS is 10 weeks old. He'll nurse with a shield which makes things easier but he will also latch without it as long as he's not too hungry. The problem is his latch without the shield hurts where his bottom lip is and he doesn't empty me (with or without the shield) so if I don't pump afterwards, I get really bad clogged ducts. With the little time we actually have during the waking hours together during the week, is it possible to work on this BF'ing relationship so I don't have to pump when we're together? He sleeps through the night already and is a content little boy. I'm content as well for the most part as long as I don't have to deal with clogged ducts and supply issues. I've got a good thing going with my supply right now. I'm afraid to mess with things. It went to see a LC at the hospital where my baby was born and she just encouraged me to keep pumping and not worry about trying to get baby back to the breast. I left disappointed but thinking maybe she's right and I don't want to compromise my supply. Thoughts? Experiences? TIA

·
Registered
236 Posts
I definitely think it's possible! I can't guarantee that it will work, but there's a chance. I would call your local La Leche League if I were you; I think they will be more willing to help you than the LC was. For the record, I was able to get my DD back to nursing after 3 months of EPing while working 6-7 hour days, and she had even developed such a bottle preference that she would scream if I offered her my breast. I imagine a latch problem would be just as possible.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I think it's possible. I second the advice of going to your local LLL. If you are located anywhere near Sacramento, CA, I have the number of a fabulous LC who can help you. Also, you might want to have your son looked at. Is he tongue-tied? Does he have tense muscles in his neck/shoulders that might cause him to not nurse properly?

I pumped fulltime for both of my boys, so can't really help you with the breastfeeding thing.

peace...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.