Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I've had several arguments in the last few weeks with uninformed men about episiotomies and it's driving me crazy!  Why does every idiot out there who's never been a father (and will never ever birth a baby) think that slicing women's genitals is a great idea?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We interviewed a pediatrician today who gave us a long speech about everything that will happen with the baby and I in the hospital, including the assumption that I'm using an OB, that the OB will be a man, that I'll be delivering on a table, and that I'll be "sewn up" afterward.  After correcting him on all of these points, he went on to talk about how very necessary episiotomies are, even though I might be "uncomfortable hearing about it."  What I find ironic is that he thinks male circumcision is totally unnecessary.  Sounds like a double standard to me!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Maybe it's the hormones, but I've been extra mad about the patriarchy lately.</p>

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
<p>Well it is possible you will be sewn up because of tearing. I did not have an epis with my son but did require lots of stitching.  Sorry about all the assumptions though, why would the ped even talk about these things with you!?</p>

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
<p>Ewwww.  He sounds misinformed and kind of gross.   Also the thing that would piss me off the most would be assuming OBs are all male.  Stuff like that makes me super angry.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, I'm not sure why a pediatrician would be concerned about the welfare of your vagina.</p>
<p>Seems kind of hostile, I'd pass on his services if it were me.</p>

·
Registered
294 Posts
<p>My twins were 30 wk preemies, I interviewed a LOT of pediatricians before selecting the one we use now and not ONE ever spoke to me like that. I hope you're going to pass on him and seek out a doctor that's concerned about your baby and not your vagina...</p>

·
Premium Member
5,391 Posts
<p>I would pass on him too. Not a conversation I have ever had or would ever have with a ped. Closest I came was wtih my oldest ped who was female when she realized I was still in pain after birth and wanted to make sure I didn't need to see a doctor as well (appointments are hard to come by where I was so she was going to get me one if I needed it).. However, I don't/wouldn't mind talking to it to a lady who had given birth compared to a man..Oh and episitomys aren't necessary and aren't done at the hospital Im giving birth at unless vaccum/forceps or something like that is needed.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
<p>That's horrific - I'd skip that doctor!  My Family Doctor was my doctor for my last pregnancy and she assured me that "there wouldn't be any slicing down there".</p>
<p> </p>
<p>But yeah, mostly I'd be worried about the aura of doctor power passing sexist ideas like 'all doctors are male' on to my kids.</p>

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<p>We're going to try another one ASAP.  It's too bad, because this one was vegan/veggie-friendly and within walking distance. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'd also like a pedi who seems playful and warm, rather than a stern authority figure.  Kids already often feel vulnerable and freaked out about the doctor's office, so I'd like to find a nurturing personality to help mitigate that.  We've got a few leads.</p>

·
Registered
326 Posts
<p>Yeah, it sounds like you need to find a new pediatrician. I still find it curious that he'd be talking about these things when he's a PEDIATRICIAN and NOT an OB :)</p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts