Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
3,217 Posts
Wow... I've only been gone a few days and things here have been BUSY!!!

First off... Pilesoflaundry... I just saw your DDDDC and dang near pee'd my pants
: I'm still laughing :LOL

Polka123 - I'm glad your hubby is okay on all counts!

mamadawg - the twins are too cute for words!!!!

Plum - sounds like you are going to be kept on your toes!

Dreamsindigital - glad things are better

Iluvmybaby -
elcome

mamap - how are you holding up?? Are you doing okay respitorially speaking (is that a word???) I thought about you as we were driving back into the THICK smoke! If it makes us feel any better... our air quality is soooo bad now, they actually have a picture of Fairbanks on the EPAs home page :LOL

We had a great time camping in the new travel trailer. I noticed a million things that need to be fixed and the bad news (since we bought it from a dealer from Wasilla) it has to go back to Wasilla (300 miles away) to have the entire floor replaced (the factory laid the tile without cleaning underneath it and there are actually bolts under the tile
: ) The dealer was great though and offered to pay for our gas to take it down there... speaking of which... HOLY COW!!! We went through 3/4 tank of gas just getting to Denali!!! (it's 120 miles) We swore we heard the cyclone of gasoline leaving our truck! We thought we'd get a reprieve from the smoke down at the park, but no deal... it was smokey there too... but not nearly as bad as home

Emma STILL hasn't cut those teeth that are sitting just under the skin. They've been there for a few weeks now. I wonder if they will ever come out??

Guess that's about all that is new with us.....

· Registered
3,217 Posts
DID, I'm sorry about his allergies. Poor little guy
Have you tried "rinsing" your carpeting? I was amazed at how much chemical was left in my carpeting after cleaning. I took the shampooer (rug doctor rental) and just ran water over it and suds came pouring out. On the upside, if you do this, you'll be surprised how much dirt comes out too (so it's kinda like shampooing all over again
)

Good luck. I hope you get it figured out.

· Registered
3,217 Posts
grrrrrr...... I started my first af exactly 2 weeks after my pp bleeding stopped. And she's been back every 29 days every since!! Obviously, bf'ing hasn't done a thing for mine.

Guess it's murphy's law... I can't have anymore babies, so my cycle is clockwork since giving birth. If I could have more, I probably wouldn't have a cycle. Mother nature can play cruel tricks sometimes huh?

· Registered
3,217 Posts
My 4th has been okay.. pretty lonely as well. Our smoke finally lifted and it's GORGEOUS outside!!! And.. you can breathe again!!! BUT.... I think I tore or really sprained a tendon in my foot and it's been killing me the last few days, so I wasn't up to walking around at the events going on in town. Hubby is working graves, so he's sleeping.... so it would have just been Emma and I anyway... and not feeling like walking... we just stayed home. DH & I are going to have a quick little "picnic" dinner... and then he's taking off at 7pm to play a poker game with a bunch of the officers from work... then going straight to work from there... so we'll get to see him a whole hour today

· Registered
3,217 Posts
I'm curious if anyone knows how long it takes for our hormones to totally adjust back to normal. I'm assuming my problem is hormonal, or perhaps I'm just permanently modified with motherhood, but I sure seem to be a heck of a lot more emotional. I've been in a serious funk the last few days, and cry at the drop of a hat
I guess it doesn't help that I've had at least FIVE people in the last few days ask me when we plan to have more kids.... and then I have to explain that as much as I'd love to... it won't happen... then have to go into the whole explanation of me having an "incompetent uterus" and feeling substandard because of it.... yep... here come tears again. I understand that I am truly blessed to have such a healthy, beautiful child.. but I guess the realization that she's all I will have still hurts.

Please somebody tell me that someday everything will balance back out and I'll return to my normal "icequeen" self, because I'd like to wear mascara again sometime in my lifetime.

· Registered
3,217 Posts
Thanks everyone for the hugs. I don't know why it's bothering me so bad lately... like I said.. I think I'm riding a hormonal rollercoaster right now. Odd thing is... I'm ovulating.... don't recall my hormones going nuts then (it was always around AF)... maybe I have an incompentent ovary as well
: (poking fun at myself this morning..... the cloud must be starting to lift)

Emma STILL doesn't have teeth. That one tooth that has been sitting right under the gum line (but you can see plain as day) still hasn't erupted (it's been visible for well over a month) but the rest of her gum line has become filled with hard bumps and she's been miserable. The poor baby... you can just *tell* she's miserable. I think she'll probably cut 10 of them at once. I actually broke down last night and gave her a dose of tylenol (which I *rarely* do)... of course, that was on the heels of feeling like the worlds worst mother.... I caught the skin of her leg in the snap of her diaper.... and didn't realize why she was screaming for a good 2 or 3 seconds
She has a little bruise this morning
I HATE when I do something stupid and hurt her..... side effect of motherhood I suppose. A friend of mine said "be thankful her long term memory is that of a gnat at this point" which helped with the guilt

ejsmommy - You are not alone with lingering grief from the c/s. People tell me I'm silly.... because they have no clue. It's a hard pill for me to swallow on a multitude of levels... so I completely understand what you are saying.

Well... Emma is up and wanting some FOOD

Hope everyone has a great day!!

ETA: I forgot to tell you guys that Emma started the cutest thing this weekend. She was watching Nascar with Daddy... and by the end of the race, he had her sitting on his lap... waving her hands high in the air saying "go go go" to the cars

· Registered
3,217 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShellyK
Also, I'm another one grieving my birth experience somewhat. In the end, the experience we had was pretty great, but I really would have liked to have a vaginal birth. I guess that's actually a good reason for waiting on another babe - if I give my body longer to heal, it will do better at letting me push a baby out in a few years. But, yeah, it sucked the day after Julie was born with my husband's aunt came to the hospital and kept saying over and over "you got to have your baby the easy way!" After the third time I looked at her pointedly and said "I wouldn't say that" in the best compromise between firm and polite voice I could find. Then, she finally shut up.
Don't you love that! The best one I got was from my mother. She said that I didn't experience the pain of childbirth!! I had contrax 3 minutes apart for ELEVEN days... and then a c/s (I guess having your abdomen cut in half doesn't equal the pain of pushing???)

· Registered
3,217 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eman'smom
Oh one other thing, someone mentioned a hip hammock, I love it. I can't make slings work and just don't like them
: But the hip hammock is great, dd is 22+ pounds and I can carry her forever in it.
Do you notice any strain on your back with this? My dd is about 23 pounds now. I tried a sling when she was around 2 months and the pressure on my back was too much (I've had 3 spinal fractures). I bought one of the Kelty kids back packs and I don't have a problem carrying her around in that, but she's behind me... and I hate that

I'm curious if this would be a reasonable alternative....

· Registered
3,217 Posts
ShellyK

That is so great that you were able to hold her so much after delivery. I didn't get to see Emma for a good 10 minutes after her birth. As soon as they took her out, the ped wisked her away and started suctioning her lungs
After they felt she was stable, they let her daddy hold her and he brought her to me. I didn't get to spend more than 5 minutes with her before they wisked her off to the "treatment" area to work on more suctioning, etc. (she was almost 3 weeks early) and they refused to let me see her until I was moved back to my room.... which they wouldn't do until my legs were no longer numb. I HATED the man that gave me the spinal because it took 3 hours to wear off.... I wanted my baby so desperately!!!!

It's great to hear that there are some great stories out there

· Registered
3,217 Posts
Plum,
I still can't get over her hair!!! It's soooo beautiful

You guys are making me incredibly sentimental today!! I love all these newborn pictures. I wish I had Emma's easily obtainable (DH moved them to a CD and put them in the office safe.... so the files are no where even remotely close) I did get the cutest pic of her and her daddy yesterday... with her first do-rag

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAtm7JuzaNnWw

Oh... and guess what... after her nap.... WE HAVE A TOOTHY!!!

· Registered
3,217 Posts
Well.... I made a discovery yesterday. It is official....... we have spent WAY too much time in Home Depot!!! Our house has been in a never ending stage of construction and for so many months, we were literally there every other day or so. They (the employees) followed me through my pregnancy, were all excited to see Emma the first time we brought her in... and the topper.... she actually opens her arms and leans into one of the men that works there now... wanting him to hold her
: We've officially nicknamed him "uncle Will" now. Even funnier... that is something she rarely does with my own mother :LOL

Emma is another one that has hit the "velco baby" stage. She's actually been there for a while now. I don't mind (except when I want to pee!) because I know before I know it... she'll be off doing her own thing, not wanting mom near her

· Registered
3,217 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eman'smom
I'm taking the cd plunge our first 2 dipes came today

Welcome to the dark side :LOL It's sooooo addictive

· Registered
3,217 Posts
Okay mamas... help me out here.

Does teething cause runny poo and a rash? I always thought that was the first sign of a food allergy, but she didn't eat anything today that she hasn't eaten just about every other day since she's been eating foods.

She had one diaper with runny poo... and (sorry if I get too graphic here) the skin on the outside of her girly parts and down to her anus is BRIGHT red. It was only one diaper.... so I don't know what to think. (I'm still gagging from cleaning up that diaper!!! EWWWWW.... it even took a good 5 minutes of rinsing)

I put some aquaphor on it and it seems to be helping. I swear... it looks like a burn versus a rash....

· Registered
3,217 Posts
Tracy,
The mama's on the diapering board can truly "hook you up" with all the details, but I'll throw in my .02

I didn't start CDing until Emma was almost 4 months. Thankfully... she grew quite a bit during that time and has slowed tremendously since, so I think I'll be able to get away with one diaper size until she's potty trained... so in a since... you are saving yourself some money there (only needing one size)

You can start off very reasonably if you buy CPFs and a few covers... you could get everything you needed for less than 100 bucks. That is what I did... and then I got addicted... to fitteds, to AIOs, to WOOL.... it's sad really :LOL

As far as washing, I run mine through a quick rinse with baking soda (I have a front loader, which don't clean them as well I've been told) on cold water then a very long hot wash with cold rinse and an extra rinse. I use tide regular (1/4 of a cup)... very little soap is needed and that's it. Throw them in the dryer and you are good to go.

I'm soooo addicted

· Registered
3,217 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CTMOMOF2
I am still a bit confused about the diaper issue... I don't know what all the parts and pieces are that you are all talking about... tell me if this sounds right... There is something that looks like a maxi pad, then there is the diaper (like what we use a burp rags), then there is some sort of plastic or otherwise outer thing to keep from seeping?? Is this right, or am i way off?? I know the old fashioned way was just the cloth diaper w/pins, and then plastic pants that went over... or is it still this way too??? (I feel like an idiot!!!)
The maxi pad looking thing you are describing is a doubler (some call them soakers... but there are also wool soakers which are covers... so that term gets confusing!) The CPF is the "old school" diaper. White cloth (but CPF .. chinese prefolds are diaper service quality... the only way to go).... then you have a whole world of covers out there. For economy reasons, the plastic bumkins or prowraps are the best way to go... they velco so there isn't even a need for pinning the diaper. I personally prefer the fleece covers. They breathe so much better than the plastic ones do. OR.... if you are a good sewer... MamaPenelope made her own fleece pocket dipes that she stuffed with a CPF... and those worked awesome for her.

I could give you a million reasons not to use sposies... but that's been covered
The funny thing... if you start cloth and go back to a sposie... you won't be able to stand the stinch that comes from them. I never realized they stunk until I had to use them on a trip we took recently. GAG!!!

· Registered
3,217 Posts
ShellyK,
I'm so sorry about her eye. I'm still riddled with guilt over Emma's cut finger, so I know exactly how you feel.

I think her teething has everything to do with it. Emma has been a much happier baby since she cut the one tooth... and has just started getting fussy again... and I'm seeing another pop through. I feel so bad for these kiddos. Hopefully it will pass for Julie soon as well.

Well, I have some last minute house cleaning to do. My MIL is flying in tonight and is staying for a month

: give me strength
:

· Registered
3,217 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobluegirl
well we have fever, whining, druel, and lots of poopy diapers...maybe we r finally getting teeth.......
hope those toofies pop through soon!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.