Mothering Forum banner
21 - 40 of 181 Posts

· Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Oh Rikki!! That is funny!! Do you really let him do that! My breast are OFF LIMITS from the instant i become pregnant until i stop nursing completely!! And still since i've nursed, don't consider them as part of the sex-life at all!! To me they are feeding objects only!!

That is funny though!!! haha

· Registered
3,874 Posts
Hi everyone!
Congratulations Anmarie!

Had a *good* dr appt today at Kaiser!
Only took me 9 months to find a decent one! :LOL He's a high risk doctor who really treats me like my problems are no big deal (since my gestational diabetes is diet controlled, and my BP is NOT in PIH ranges), and was actually appologetic sounding saying we'd start thinking of inducing when I was "a week or two after my due date". Compared with the old doc who said "we won't let you go past 38 weeks" this is bliss! He asked permission to check my cervix, actually asked if I'd 'like' him to check me (well I guess since I'm here and pantless, sure!)... He said I'm a little dilated, and very soft and short. Woo! He is guessing I'll probably have the baby around my due date based on that, but who really knows... So I've made my next appt with him and will avoid the other doctor.

I've been crampy, and am having contractions on my NST's and when I came home today I'm having a little bloody show. Not sure if that's just from being jabbed by the doc or not, but hey I'll take it as a good sign!

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Tracey....you are too funny..I wouldn't want to be your husband....he must be totally deprived....hehe...I wouldn't say dh likes my breasts while nursing...he likes the nice full look but I think he is shy about the contents...lol..I weaned Tristan when he was 15 months...was 3 months preg with Lorna...It was kind of mutual...looking back I am not sure..
With Lorna she weaned about 22 months and I was 6 months preg. Dh has really liked them since then....kind of diffferent from with Tristan...of course being sore doesn't help anything. I am glad I am over that..till this one is born.....

As far as sex after birth goes...as soon as I am done bleeding if I don't tear we have sex...(someone commented on this earlier)The only reason we waited longer then that the first time is I tore really bad with Tristan and man..I had stitches till 6wks or so and it hurt....we tried at 5 wks pp I think. I am sure it was a good 6 months before things felt normal again. With Lorna I didn't tear at all and it was great. The recovery wasn't even comparable. We had sex like 2 wks pp or as soon as I was done bleeding....

· Registered
2,290 Posts
I think aquarianangela was the first Sept mama to birth and is waiting over in Life with a Babe...

Sibling preparation

I feel really, really good about 3.5 yo dd's level of acceptance and excitement about the baby coming. We've been prepping her all throughout the pregnancy & it's been neat watching her adapt more and more. She has a fascination for anything to do with the body and its functions and wants to be a doctor--so we showed her both a natural birth, and when the opportunity presented itself recently on a news program, a cesarean birth. We explained what would be happening with her mommy and sister--she was very excited and grasped it very well.
She's picked out gifts for the baby, and today she told me she didn't want to go to school until she saw the baby come (a big compliment, even though she won't be going to K for another 2 years, it's something she talks about on a daily basis.)

Mom coming to help

I also can't wait, mahdokht-my mother is coming around the same time as yours. Her presence is so soothing, and I would also rather have her here more after than before. Can't wait to see her and share the children with her!

· Registered
687 Posts
Quote:
Oh Rikki!! That is funny!! Do you really let him do that!
Yep, sure do! He's a lot nicer to them than my soon to be 2 year old is...!

Lisa, I'm glad to hear that you found a nice OB at Kaiser. Mine was wonderful, when I had him. I think that I mentioned to you once that if I could have moved him to WA with me, I would have! Which Kaiser are you going to, if I may ask?

Mom coming to help: Unfortunately, my mom wasn't here for my last baby's birth, nor will she be able to be here for this one. She was the only one present at my 3rd child's birth - since dh was on a business trip... She was there for my first two children as well. However, she's a school teacher in CA and can't take the time off when she doesn't exactly know what date to schedule for. I wish that she could be here, she was absolutely wonderful help to me after I had the older kids. Also, she told me that she and my dad have scheduled a week off in October (this was before she knew we were pregnant) to go to New Orleans...apparently it's right around my due date, so coming to WA as well as going there probably wouldn't put her in too good a stead with the new principal at her school.

However, dh works from home, except on Fridays... His "boss" pointed out to him that he's maxed out his vacation accrual for the year (6 weeks is the max), and so unless he takes some time off, he can't continue to accrue anymore time. So, dh is taking next week off, and he'll also be taking two weeks off after I have the baby. That will be nice, since he can hang with Shayna if I want them out of the house!

· Registered
3,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rikki
Lisa, I'm glad to hear that you found a nice OB at Kaiser. Mine was wonderful, when I had him. I think that I mentioned to you once that if I could have moved him to WA with me, I would have! Which Kaiser are you going to, if I may ask?
Walnut Creek. Its supposed to be the "good" Kaiser in the area (there is also Martinez), but the parking is *such* a pain! And joy of joy, I do my NST's on mondays and thursdays, and the good doctor works tuesdays, wensdays, and fridays. So I get to make the trek there (really its 10 minutes away tops, but I really need to leave 45 minutes before the appt to get parking) three times a week! And that's not including my midwife appts 30 minutes away I get to go to weekly as well.... and then there is my chiropractor, also seeing 3 times a week.... so I'm WAY tired of appointments... but it'll be done soon

· Registered
1,057 Posts
okay, i'm a slacker! thanks for starting the new thread CT...and i was up at 4am eating toast! hee hee.

here's the updated labor buddies.

LABOR BUDDIES

1. apple (Jamie), #1 Sept 14, Hospital w/ CNM
akirasmama (laurie) - #2 Sept 4
mamapenelope #4- October, #4, Home
1stTimeMummytoLore (Kate) - Sept 22 #1, Birth Center w/ CNM

2.. BellaMay - Oct 25
Emma - Sept 12, #2, Hospital
jennifer (sabin) - Oct
Amywillo (Amy) - Sept 26, #2

3.. mahdokht - Sept 28th, home w/ midwife
halah (jennifer) Oct 25, #2, homebirth
lactationmom - Sept 3, home, midwife
Rikki - October 17, #5, 'home'

4. Lisa_Lynn (Lisa) - Sept 17, #1, Home, Boy
Anmarie - ARRIVED!!!!
Michelle (Mommy Stormraven) - Sept 17, #3 (#2 w/ dh) Home water birth
weesej (jen) - #4, Oct, homebirth w/ midwife

5. Ravin - Sept 20, #1, Home
Eman'smom - #2 mid Sept
Carolyn - mid-Sept (Sept 10), #3, Home
kerikadi (keri) - Oct 28 - homebirth

6, Sagira - Sept 21, #1, Birth Center
hikaru - oct 14th, #2 birthing clinic (doc/midwives)
Louise - late Oct #4 - uc
Mamma Kathryns - girl, Sept 19

7. seven_lux - #1, sept 25, hospital
CTMOMOF2 (Tracey) - Sept 5, #2 girl, Hospital, OB
Aspen - Oct 8
dallaschildren - Sept 18 - boy, c-sect

8. anabean (Ana), Sept 25, hospital w/ cnm, 2 doulas
mamarsupial (autumn), Oct 4, #2, hospital w/ cnm & doula
cobluegirl (rachael) - Sept 9,#3 hospital
shanetedissac (shane) - Sept 24, #3, Home

9. grandmasgirl - Oct 27, boy, birth center
Mamaley - Sept 30, #2, birth cent
Czen - Oct 26 #3, home w/ midwife & doula
Nik's Mommy (christine) - oct 1
9/03

10. jazzpurr88 - 10/14/03 with #1
cllovato - 9/28/03 with #2. labor at home, birth at hospital w/ cnm/ob
petitemama (laurie) - 9/3 #5 homebirth w/ midwife
sabrin - #3 due late sept/early oct

· Registered
1,057 Posts
up at 3am to make dh my prosteglandin whore. hee hee. okay, so it was his idea...still. he prefers 'prosteglandin stud'. hee hee. then HAD to eat some toast...then couldn't get back to sleep. am ready for breakfast #2 already.

okay, now...how is my preggo brain going to remember everything i wanted to say...sibling stuff, clothes, moms, etc...hmmm..

SIBLING CLASS: no class here, but we have LOTS of friends having babies, so that has been a good preparation. we also checked out several books from the library, including the sears' 'baby on the way' and a few others from the library. we also bought her the 'i'm a big sister' book and have talked quite a bit about her new 'jobs' as big sister. dd also watched our doula's birth video (home water birth). she loves looking through our pregnancy books and finding the pictures of the babies in utero or coming out. she's very matter of fact about the birth stuff "the baby is in your uterus and she will come out your 'gina."

CLOTHES: i just bought a new robe. in the summer, i usually don't wear one...but have a nice fleece one for the colder weather we're known to get here in minnesota. decided that was too hot to wear, so now i have a nice cotton robe. i also plan on going naked if i can. don't want to wear a hospital gown, i'll tell ya that! i'm packing my two favorite blue canoe bras for the hospital too.

MOMS/DH/POST PARTUM HELP: dh has two weeks off, then will be working at home part time for 4 more weeks. he had the same arrangement when dd was born and he worked his butt off when he was at home...so his boss is being even more generous this time around, letting him shift hours around as much as needed. my mom and dh's mom will both come and help too. my doula is really into post partum stuff (our doula last time wasn't so much) and since our girls are friends, she will prolly come by now and then just for play time. she also knows a doula in training who is looking for some post partum experience and may be helping out for free...which would be cool. one of my best friends, and certainly my best mama friend, is really close by too...and our kids are best friends and i'm sure she'll be over a lot too. boy, now that i think about it...what am i nervous about?

FOOD: i'm soooo hungry. i must have eaten about 3000 calories yesterday and i still woke up at 3am with a growling tummy! we are getting some b grade maple syrup (great for baking) delivered today from a local farm...so this weekend i'm going to bake a lot of bread, freeze a lot of it, back cookies, and nest nest nest. i also need to pick the kale and collards from our garden, blanch, and freeze as much as i can. i promised myself i would freeze something from the garden and from the farm every week this summer to stock up for the winter...but i've been awful about doing it. i see fresh produce and i eat it on the spot! okay, i better to eat something.

· Registered
47 Posts
Wanted to add myself to the list:

Screen Name Real Name Birth No. EDD where what's going on…
Lactationmom 3-Sep home w/midwife some contrax nothing to report
petitemama (laurie) #5 3-Sep homebirth w/ midwife lots of pressure and hip pain
akirasmama (laurie) #2 4-Sep contrax 5 mins apart 4 cms… labor started stopped and has started again
Anmarie Anmarie #2 4-Sep Home/h2o Alannah was born at 7:02 (9/3) at home in the pool-8lbs 13oz just over 20inches!!!
CTMOMOF2 (Tracey) #2 5-Sep Hospital OB contrax 4 mins apart for 20 hrs then Nothing now horly contrax but nothing exciting…
cobluegirl (rachael) #3 9-Sep hospital nothing happening yet
Carolyn #3 10-Sep Home Pressure
Emma #2 12-Sep Hospital Nothing yet
apple (Jamie) #1 14-Sep Hospital w/ CNM losing plug
Eman'smom #2 mid Sept some contrax
Lisa_Lynn (Lisa) #1 17-Sep Home
Mommy Stormraven (Michele) #3 17-Sep Home water birth
dallaschildren 18-Sep csect boy
MammaKathryns 19-Sep girl
Ravin #1 20-Sep hospital
Sagira #1 21-Sep Birth Center
1stTimeMummytoLore (Kate) #1 22-Sep Birth Center w/CNM
shanetedissac (shane) #3 24-Sep Home
seven_lux #1 25-Sep hospital
anabean (Ana) 25-Sep hospital w/ cnm 2 doulas
Amywillo (Amy) #2 26-Sep
mahdokht 28-Sep home w/midwife
cllovato #2 28-Sep labor at home birth at hospital w/ cnm/ob
Mamaley #2 30-Sep birth center
jennifer (sabin) Oct
weesej (jen) #4 Oct homebirth w/ midwife
mamapenelope #4 October Home
Nik's Mommy (christine) 1-Oct
mamarsupial (autumn) #2 4-Oct hospital w/ cnm & doula
rootsaloo (Ruth) #3 4-October homebirth
Aspen 8-Oct
hikaru #2 14-Oct birthing clinic (doc/midwives)
jazzpurr88 #1 14-Oct
Rikki #5 17-Oct home
BellaMay 25-Oct
halah (jennifer) #2 25-Oct homebirth
Czen #3 26-Oct home w/ midwife & doula
grandmasgirl 27-Oct birth center boy
kerikadi (keri) 28-Oct homebirth
Louise #4 late Oct uc

· Registered
47 Posts
Hi Gals,

Wanted to chime in on the breast discussion. I used to work as a lactation consultant in a hospital, went to a breaastfeeding conference. One of the speakers had worked in Africa. She said that women in Africa do not understand the american male obsession with breasts. The African women wondered if American men were hungry! That made me laugh... evidently african men are much more interested in hips, thighs and butts, the bigger the better.

Postpartum Sex - While my dh and I enjoy the best sex ever while I am pregnant, postpartum is a completely different story. We've gone about two years, no sex, after each of my kids. With baby constantly on my body I just can't tolerate any more touch, especially breasts. Fortunately my patient husband is adept at fulfilling his own needs but he has asked that we not go quite so long after this baby. This is probably our last baby, I'll be so sad to see the heightened libido go!

Ruth

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Hi Ruth-I remember you from other threads

Adding myself to the main list:

Screen Name Real Name Birth No. EDD where what's going on…
Lactationmom 3-Sep home w/midwife some contrax nothing to report
petitemama (laurie) #5 3-Sep homebirth w/ midwife lots of pressure and hip pain
akirasmama (laurie) #2 4-Sep contrax 5 mins apart 4 cms… labor started stopped and has started again
Anmarie Anmarie #2 4-Sep Home/h2o Alannah was born at 7:02 (9/3) at home in the pool-8lbs 13oz just over 20inches!!!
CTMOMOF2 (Tracey) #2 5-Sep Hospital OB contrax 4 mins apart for 20 hrs then Nothing now horly contrax but nothing exciting…
cobluegirl (rachael) #3 9-Sep hospital nothing happening yet
Carolyn #3 10-Sep Home Pressure
Emma #2 12-Sep Hospital Nothing yet
apple (Jamie) #1 14-Sep Hospital w/ CNM losing plug
Eman'smom #2 mid Sept some contrax
Lisa_Lynn (Lisa) #1 17-Sep Home
Mommy Stormraven (Michele) #3 17-Sep Home water birth
dallaschildren 18-Sep csect boy
ladylee (lee) September 19 cesarean delivery-girl!
MammaKathryns 19-Sep girl
Ravin #1 20-Sep hospital
Sagira #1 21-Sep Birth Center
1stTimeMummytoLore (Kate) #1 22-Sep Birth Center w/CNM
shanetedissac (shane) #3 24-Sep Home
seven_lux #1 25-Sep hospital
anabean (Ana) 25-Sep hospital w/ cnm 2 doulas
Amywillo (Amy) #2 26-Sep
mahdokht 28-Sep home w/midwife
cllovato #2 28-Sep labor at home birth at hospital w/ cnm/ob
Mamaley #2 30-Sep birth center
jennifer (sabin) Oct
weesej (jen) #4 Oct homebirth w/ midwife
mamapenelope #4 October Home
Nik's Mommy (christine) 1-Oct
mamarsupial (autumn) #2 4-Oct hospital w/ cnm & doula
rootsaloo (Ruth) #3 4-October homebirth
Aspen 8-Oct
hikaru #2 14-Oct birthing clinic (doc/midwives)
jazzpurr88 #1 14-Oct
Rikki #5 17-Oct home
BellaMay 25-Oct
halah (jennifer) #2 25-Oct homebirth
Czen #3 26-Oct home w/ midwife & doula
grandmasgirl 27-Oct birth center boy
kerikadi (keri) 28-Oct homebirth
Louise #4 late Oct uc

Postpartum care

Last time I didn't arrange for enough--dh was in grad school and working full-time and quite unavailable, my mother only stayed for a week. You need more help when recovering from a cesarean (even superhuman moi, :LOL.)

This time dh has been working from home a lot (heaven! he can play with dd#1,) and will continue for another couple of months after the birth, and my mother has an open return ticket
!

Clothing

Last time I didn't bother with anything and I so hated wearing the hospital gowns. This time I went and got some nice lounging clothes and want to make an effort for myself to feel more comfortable.

You learn a lot from the first time!

Today I'm doing yoga and going for a swim to stretch out these muscles of mine

· Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
these are all quotes from one of the sites i was checking out... none of it is my opinion at all... link is below...

Quote - Applying hot packs/heat to breasts is supposed to get a chemical going naturally [ed. presumably oxytocin] and will start labor. It worked with my second baby. I had bronchitis and it turned into a bad cold/cough. About a week before my due date, I had put a heat pad on my chest, hoping to loosen it up for breathing purposes. The next morning I went into labor and within a few hours, I delivered a healthy baby!! I then recalled having read somewhere that applying heat to the breasts will induce labor.

Eating Pineapple -- Quote...
[ NOTE - The helpful enzyme in pineapple, bromelaine, is destroyed by heat, which is typically generated by processing, such as canning or juicing. In order to receive all the benefits of pineapple, eat fresh pineapple.] Apparently, pineapple contains bromelaine, which is a fairly potent enzyme used by naturopathic medicine types for anti-inflammatory
kinds of effects. The German sports medicine types advocate bromelaine with some other enzymes somewhat routinely following soft tissue injury and there is some data to suggest this decreases healing time. As I understand it, very lay terms, now, the bromelaine helps to decrease the walling off of inflammation by somehow digesting it, therefore
making injured tissue more available to natural healing properties within the body.

Swinging -- Quote...
Go to a local park or playground and swing on those nice big swings. This is a really fun way to start labor!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curb Walking -- Quote...
Try curb walking to help bring on labor. I know it sounds funny, but I really believe it helps. Walk along a curb, one leg up on the curb and one in the gutter, then turn around and go the other way.

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/natinduc.html#Castor

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Good morning..still here and still nothing going on.

Am i the only one who doesn't want to eat? hehe...I hate eating..it gives me indigestion....lol I gave up and took a pepcid last night..it helped for a while..I still didn't sleep welll..not sure what is up with that..I was sleeping great last week..not this week I guess...am awake for what seems like most of the night..or at least my mind is awake....

· Registered
6,128 Posts
Um, has anyone else been gaining 4 lbs every two weeks?! I feel like I'm eating less and exercising more, and I'm still gaining weight like crazy. I don't think I look that much bigger--maybe i'm retaining water, my feet are swollen. Hopefully it's going to the babe.

I went to Target today and bought the last of the things I need before baby is here. I think we have everything now.
No, that can't be right!

I bought a cute sleeveless cotton nightshirt, the only bad thing about it is that it has horizontal stripes! Oh well. It looks comfy, that's what matters. I got some slipper socks too. I'll bring those, flip flops, an ugly bath robe I have and a sports bra. And my comfy gray shorts. Or maybe I should wear my new bravado black nursing bra?
Wow, I am thinking about this way too much!
LOL CT--I definitely won't be in shorts for the delivery!

Lisa--I'm so happy to hear that you found Dr. Right! He sounds wonderful.

I can't believe that yesterday I was saying that my pelvis felt fine--it's achy now. Oh well! Could be worse.

We took some belly pics last night. Wow, i'm huge! I can honestly say that I will miss my belly when it's gone. I think. If I get brave, I'll post them.

· Registered
4,703 Posts
Well - all of our home birth supplies arrived this morning...they are locked away in the spare bedroom now so dds can't get into them.

The midwife comes tomorrow to check everything out, let us know what everything is/what to do with it until they arrive! I'm so excited that this is all really happening...

And tomorrow is my last week at work for 10 MONTHS!!! Yeah! I love maternity leave in the UK. (only about 2 months of the 10 will be unpaid).

My mom is arriving September 18, to stay for 2 weeks (leaves October 2, I think). Then dh gets 2 weeks paternity leave, followed by a week of annual leave, so he'll be off for most of the rest of October with us.

It feels like such luxury to have so much help post-partum. I'm really looking forward to the next two months....I might actually even get a bit of
with all this help.

Now we just have to have the baby!

· Premium Member
21,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rootsaloo
That made me laugh... evidently african men are much more interested in hips, thighs and butts, the bigger the better.
My sister's first husband was Nigerian, and he was really into doing it from behind, anal sex and stuff. Someone else told me that keeping your back covered for modesty was much more important than the breast area.
For me too. When I'm nursing in public, I make sure the sling covers my back fat. Breast can show, I just want to be discreet about the whole back thing. :LOL

21 - 40 of 181 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.