Mothering Forum banner
41 - 60 of 181 Posts

· Registered
1,351 Posts
I've just started exploring this site, and thought I'd try my first post here! I'm 39 weeks pregnant (due around Sept. 8) with my second child (dd turned 3 on Aug. 11) but went two weeks overdue with her so am kind of expecting to be pregnant for at least a couple more weeks! Luckily I'm feeling great so far, except for the fact that I just found out that this babe is posterior already (dd came out "sunny-side up") so have been spending a tonne of time on my hands and knees, and sitting on my exercise ball as opposed to the couch trying to convince this baby that it really would be much easier and comfortable to come out the "right " way!

We had a home birth with dd, and are planning a water home birth with this one - so are now focusing a lot of our energy on preparing dd for being there. I've been enjoying hearing all of your tips for this, and would love anymore - including preparing as much as possible for the larger adjustements, like 3 months after the birth and the new baby is STILL here!!!! My mom had a video of dd's birth, so we watched that with her lastnight....her big question was "and why are you having another baby?" I"m sure this is a lot for her to be dealing with.....though I know it's for the best in the long run!

Anyways, good to meet you all!

· Premium Member
21,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mamaley

I just went for a walk and there are times when I swear it feels like the baby wants to come out of my butt.
I know this feeling all too well. I haven't posted in a couple of days, but yesterday I woke up with some back pain. I had some gas and a little diarrhea, then I tried to go back to sleep. The round ligament pain prevented me from lying comfortably until I wedged a pillow under my belly. Then all day yesterday I felt so achy and heavy. I finally went and sat in the pool even though it was overcast, windy and looked like it was going to storm. I also walked on the treadmill and sat on the exercise ball. I feel fine today. I did notice I have more mucus than normal, and it is kind of brownish. I once again tried to feel my cervix, but it was a lost cause.

All I have to say is that I am not prepared to have this baby yet, so it better not come soon. I haven't hired my doula, I haven't been to the hospital to take care of paperwork and see what I'm getting myself into. I haven't even washed the carseat covers for the carseats we will be using.

· Registered
102 Posts
Adding myself to the list -
Screen Name Real Name Birth No. EDD where what's going on…
Lactationmom 3-Sep home w/midwife some contrax nothing to report
petitemama (laurie) #5 3-Sep homebirth w/ midwife lots of pressure and hip pain
akirasmama (laurie) #2 4-Sep contrax 5 mins apart 4 cms… labor started stopped and has started again
Anmarie Anmarie #2 4-Sep Home/h2o Alannah was born at 7:02 (9/3) at home in the pool-8lbs 13oz just over 20inches!!!
Aquarianangela #1 edd Sep 5 born at hospital July 13 at 32 weeks abigail elizabeth 3lb 15oz
CTMOMOF2 (Tracey) #2 5-Sep Hospital OB contrax 4 mins apart for 20 hrs then Nothing now horly contrax but nothing exciting…
cobluegirl (rachael) #3 9-Sep hospital nothing happening yet
Carolyn #3 10-Sep Home Pressure
Emma #2 12-Sep Hospital Nothing yet
apple (Jamie) #1 14-Sep Hospital w/ CNM losing plug
Eman'smom #2 mid Sept some contrax
Lisa_Lynn (Lisa) #1 17-Sep Home
Mommy Stormraven (Michele) #3 17-Sep Home water birth
dallaschildren 18-Sep csect boy
ladylee (lee) September 19 cesarean delivery-girl!
MammaKathryns 19-Sep girl
Ravin #1 20-Sep hospital
Sagira #1 21-Sep Birth Center
1stTimeMummytoLore (Kate) #1 22-Sep Birth Center w/CNM
shanetedissac (shane) #3 24-Sep Home
seven_lux #1 25-Sep hospital
anabean (Ana) 25-Sep hospital w/ cnm 2 doulas
Amywillo (Amy) #2 26-Sep
mahdokht 28-Sep home w/midwife
cllovato #2 28-Sep labor at home birth at hospital w/ cnm/ob
Mamaley #2 30-Sep birth center
jennifer (sabin) Oct
weesej (jen) #4 Oct homebirth w/ midwife
mamapenelope #4 October Home
Nik's Mommy (christine) 1-Oct
mamarsupial (autumn) #2 4-Oct hospital w/ cnm & doula
rootsaloo (Ruth) #3 4-October homebirth
Aspen 8-Oct
hikaru #2 14-Oct birthing clinic (doc/midwives)
jazzpurr88 #1 14-Oct
Rikki #5 17-Oct home
BellaMay 25-Oct
halah (jennifer) #2 25-Oct homebirth
Czen #3 26-Oct home w/ midwife & doula
grandmasgirl 27-Oct birth center boy
kerikadi (keri) 28-Oct homebirth
Louise #4 late Oct uc

and congratulations anmarie!

· Premium Member
21,239 Posts
Hi, welcome ******'s Mom. Why does your mom think you shouldn't have another? Did the birth video upset her, or is she reacting to your 3 year old. That sounds like good spacing to me!

My mom has been bugging me for awhile to have another one. "You don't want to have an only child." "I didn't have a choice about when I had babies, and I didn't have anyone to help me out. My husband was in the military and it was just me and the 3 boys most of the time in a one bedroom apt, but that is just how they did things back then. We didn't have a choice!" Yeah, Mom, so glad you think your own children should be limited to the opportunities that you had. But I guess if my mom had had a choice, she wouldn't have had 7 children and I wouldn't be here, so I should be grateful.

· Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Amywillow - you are so funny! I agree about the back fat thing, i much rather have my entire breast and nipple hanging out for the whole world to see than that roll, you know the one, that is above the waist and below the shoulder blade!! hahahahaa

Ok, having some crampy, period-type feelings going on, just had diahreah again (which i swear this never happens to me), lots of back pressure/uncomfortableness... Let's hope this means labor and not that i had a huge lunch that included nachos grande, and a fried chicken salad!!

I'm going to try putting a heating pad on my breasts, this is one of the things i read on that site i quoted before... maybe that'll do something...?? Can't wait out the weekend!!! 40 weeks today!! AGGGHHH!!

Also have a headache, another thing i don't normally get!

· Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Oh hi AquarianAngel, sorry i missed you, you went before i joined!! Hope all is well w/you and baby!! Congratulations!!

Are you and Anmarie going to start a thread in the parenting, life with babe? I'm hoping to see you there soon... like tomorrow???!!! hee hee, wishful thinking!

If you start a thread, come back here and put the link so we know where to go!! Thanks!

Welcome ******'s Mom... add yourself to the list by copy & paste into your next post!

· Registered
3,874 Posts
Quote:
Lisa--I'm so happy to hear that you found Dr. Right! He sounds wonderful.
:LOL That's SO funny! The Dr's name *is* Wright! Ok I am way too easily amused!

· Registered
1,042 Posts
Okay, I copied and pasted and put the "shorter" version of what's going on with me on this list. Then after the list I'm going to write my little story of the past 2 days or so....

Screen Name Real Name Birth No. EDD where what's going on?br /> Lactationmom 3-Sep home w/midwife some contrax nothing to report
petitemama (laurie) #5 3-Sep homebirth w/ midwife lots of pressure and hip pain
akirasmama (laurie) #2 4-Sep contrax 5 mins apart 4 cms?labor started stopped and has started again
Anmarie Anmarie #2 4-Sep Home/h2o Alannah was born at 7:02 (9/3) at home in the pool-8lbs 13oz just over 20inches!!!
Aquarianangela #1 edd Sep 5 born at hospital July 13 at 32 weeks abigail elizabeth 3lb 15oz
CTMOMOF2 (Tracey) #2 5-Sep Hospital OB contrax 4 mins apart for 20 hrs then Nothing now horly contrax but nothing exciting?br /> cobluegirl (rachael) #3 9-Sep hospital nothing happening yet
Carolyn #3 10-Sep Home Pressure
Emma #2 12-Sep Hospital Nothing yet
apple (Jamie) #1 14-Sep Hospital w/ CNM losing plug
Eman'smom #2 mid Sept some contrax
Lisa_Lynn (Lisa) #1 17-Sep Home
Mommy Stormraven (Michele) #3 17-Sep Home water birth
dallaschildren 18-Sep csect boy
ladylee (lee) September 19 cesarean delivery-girl!
MammaKathryns 19-Sep girl
Ravin #1 20-Sep hospital
Sagira #1 21-Sep Birth Center
1stTimeMummytoLore (Kate) #1 22-Sep Birth Center w/CNM- about 15 hours of 40 second ctx, 3-5 min apart and now nothing but a lower back ache-- still waiting and hopefull
shanetedissac (shane) #3 24-Sep Home
seven_lux #1 25-Sep hospital
anabean (Ana) 25-Sep hospital w/ cnm 2 doulas
Amywillo (Amy) #2 26-Sep
mahdokht 28-Sep home w/midwife
cllovato #2 28-Sep labor at home birth at hospital w/ cnm/ob
Mamaley #2 30-Sep birth center
jennifer (sabin) Oct
weesej (jen) #4 Oct homebirth w/ midwife
mamapenelope #4 October Home
Nik's Mommy (christine) 1-Oct
mamarsupial (autumn) #2 4-Oct hospital w/ cnm & doula
rootsaloo (Ruth) #3 4-October homebirth
Aspen 8-Oct
hikaru #2 14-Oct birthing clinic (doc/midwives)
jazzpurr88 #1 14-Oct
Rikki #5 17-Oct home
BellaMay 25-Oct
halah (jennifer) #2 25-Oct homebirth
Czen #3 26-Oct home w/ midwife & doula
grandmasgirl 27-Oct birth center boy
kerikadi (keri) 28-Oct homebirth
Louise #4 late Oct uc

So about 9am yesterday I got out of bed and my lower back was really achy- like fever or PMS achy. So I figured since my temperature was normal, I'd do a little yoga and see if that straightened it out. I only got about half way through my yoga video and I had to stop because now my tummy was feeling kind of strange. I figured I needed breakfast, so I went and made myself 2 pieces of toast with jam and peanut butter and had a glass of milk and some pregnancy tea. I still wasn't feeling super-hot so I lay down on the couch for awhile just watching CNN. My tummy started to feel crampier and crampier till I realized they were rhythmic and had a definet peak to them. So I thought maybe, just maybe these could be some really early contractions. But the peak of the ctx was making me nauseous and about 45 minutes later I puked up my breakfast (if there is one thing I HATE it's puking!!!). So I figured after that I'd just stick to water and see how I was feeling. Took my temp again and it was normal. Also decided maybe if I got moving that would help, so I started cleaning up our bedroom. Plus if they were "real" labor ctx, then getting up and moving around should help them progress. Well and hour later I had to throw up again. I looked in my extensive pregnancy library to see if this was a "normal" thing for some women which I find out that it is. (At that point I had a little discussion with baby and with God that I was NOT going to be the pukey labor woman-- I didn't want to dehydrate and get stuck with an IV at the birthing center later because I couldn't hold anything down) So I called DH and asked him to come home from work which he did. Also called my mom- "mamadoula" as we like to call her, just to put her on notice to come down (she lives 1 1/2 hours away). DH got home and offered to run to the grocery store to get me soup and more tea and whatever else I wanted. I went with him so I could get out of the house and walk around a bit. We were in the soup aisle and I looked at him and said I think I'm going to be sick again. I must have looked pretty wacky-- 37 weeks preggo and running for the grocery store bathroom. Luckily I not only made it to the bathroom, but also didn't have to puke after all. (YEAH!! I DEFEATED THE PUKE MONSTER!! I was very proud of myself-- mind over matter, baby!) Well, we finished up our shopping, went back home and checked email, watched some tv, DH gave me a great massage. My lower back pain and pelvic pressure just kept getting more intense and the ctx were getting stronger, but still only about 40 seconds long and 3-5 minutes apart. And as my midwife says-- a 30 to 40 second contraction isn't bringing a baby anytime soon. But since they were getting stronger, I called my mom and asked her if she wanted to come down tonight instead of possibly in the middle of the night, so she decided to go ahead and come down. DH and I finished packing our bags and laoded them in the car and then I lay down for a little while and the ctx just kept coming. (Funny thing-- when I laid down all of a sudden my DH decided the house had to be spotless so he started cleaning like a maniac-- I though, how funny-- I'm in labor and he's nesting!!) My mom came down and we all decided to get a little sleep if possible. My back was so sore that I decided to take some regular strength tylenol to try to help me sleep. DH and I did a few of our Bradley relaxation techniques and I fell asleep finally after almost 16 hours of ctx.

Woke up this morning and everything seems to have backed waay off- only the occasional ctx, no back pain-- So I sent my mom home and called off the DEFCON 10,000,000 alert that my family had issued.

Maybe we'll have a baby soon, maybe not! Who knows? Meanwhile my copy of Ina May's Guide to Childbirth arrived today, so I'm just going to enjoy this weekend, relax and read a little.

Sending happy birthing vibes to you all!!
I'll keep you all updated!

Kate
EDD 22 Sept- but hoping that it'll be sooner!

· Registered
72 Posts
Congrats Aquarianangela & Annmarie!!!

40.1 weeks here. Now that I am this far I want to hold out till the weekend.

All my midwife says about bringing on labour so far is LOTS OF SEX!

My biggest fear right now is that I will go into labour and not realize it till it is going fast. My midwife is an hour away and I am not so concerned with that but if dh is at work I worry.
He is sometimes on the road and hours from home. I wouldn't be too worried about a UC if I knew it wouldn't be just me and 3 yr old ds alone. Everyone I know is at least an hour away. My dh says if that happens to call paramedics. My midwife says not to call them if everything is going fine that she will arrive and I tend to agree with her. Hopefully Dh will be home when labor starts and I am worrying needlessly. This is #5 and I usually have short labors.

I also think you guys are all great-and funny too!! I am not much of an online mama but this thread keeps me coming back daily.
I even dream of you all!! The other night I dreamt that the film maker Fellini had just died and we all decided that in honor of him we would all watch foreign films during labour!!??!! I don't know where that one came from as I haven't seen a Fellini movie in about 10 years!

I hope everyone is feeling great & in love!!!
Laurie

· Registered
6,128 Posts
Kate--sounds like things are really moving! I hope it keeps up. If not, reading your new book is a great idea--I love that book.

I'm still working on packing my bag. I have lots of laundry to do, and then I'll get it all together. I still need to pack a baby hat though, and I don't have one except for in Preemie size.

Pregnancy brain moment: I've been thinking all afternoon about how happy I am that it's Friday. Just realized it's only Thursday.
:

· Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
1sttimemummy - your story sounds like mine from Tues night!! Today is the first day something feels different since wed morn!! I hope it is something real!! I really NEED to go into labor asap!! I'm at the final wits end!!

I NEVER cry, but i almost feel like crying!!!

· Registered
1,057 Posts
welcome ******'s mom! my ella is also a
'bean'. hee hee.

mamas already at due date...how are you holding out???? i'm not even full term and i'm ready to LABOR!!!! what are you doing to keep yourself comfortable and sane????

i'm also having lots of pressure...waddling in slow motion everywhere i go. sex seems to make the feeling more intense...so many, just maybe, my cervix is doing something.

anyone else reading or already read 'ina may's guide to childbirth'??? awesome book. very empowering!

· Registered
556 Posts
Labour vibes to all of you who just can't wait any longer!!!

I had my appointment today. I lost 1 pound and the babe is measuring a lot smaller. My guess is she/he is just laying differently. Hmmmmmmmm... very interesting. I'm trying not to worry, but........
I am getting a little annoyed with delays at the doc's office. She is really great, and she was my doc for my ds' birth, but the last two weeks have been ridiculous. Last week I waited 1.5 hours to see her and this week it was 1 hour. If I would have had my ds with me he would have never sat with me for that long. I'm hoping that it is just some sort of bad timing. I tried to get an appointment for 1 week from now, and had to get one in 9 days. If I'm left waiting again.... I am going to either talk to her about it, or seriously consider changing doctors for baby #3. I hate to do it for that reason.... but it is driving me a little crazy.

My mil is visiting and she keeps trying to get dh, ds and I to go and visit her. She lives 2 hours away - which normally isn't that big of a deal - but at almost 37 weeks? I keep wanting to say, "Listen lady - I have a hard enough time sitting on the couch, let alone in a car for 2 hours - not to mention the 20 minute stops for me to pee. I can't sleep in my own bed, why would I sleep any better in your guest room. I'm just about ready to pop and I'm not delivering the baby in your little town. GET REAL!!!" (I've been having lots of mil issues lately - sorry - I think I may be venting a little. She's really getting on my and dh's nerves.) Last night she started making fun of me and said "You really don't enjoy being pg do you?". I looked and her and said, "What?". She says, "Well, you're struggling to get anything done, you can't bend over, dh is doing the vacuuming and floor washing (oh boo hoo) and you are so tired." To which I responded, "Well I'm in the last month, and yes I'm uncomfortable, but I never said I hated being pg. I am totally in it for the end result." I felt like saying - sorry I'm not doing jumping jacks and running around.....would me washing the floor make you think I enjoy being pg? UGH!! And she keeps telling me to go to sleep. WTF???? I'm 29 years old, I think I know when I'm tired (which is all the time - but still), and I'm not going to sleep at 4pm.
OK..... this definately turned into a vent.... I'm suffering from some serious mil issues..... I'll shut up now.
:

ONE MORE DAY OF WORK!!!!!

And then I start my 52 week maternity leave. Gotta love Canada!!!

· Registered
6,128 Posts
Nik's Mommy, that would annoy me to death if my mil was like that. I can't believe that she equates typical last month discomfort, etc, with "not enjoying pregnancy". That's silly. And to expect you to ride in a car for 2 hours is ridiculous.

Lisa, am I psychic or what?? He really *is* your Dr. Wright!

CT
It's going to happen! I was like that at 38 weeks with my son, which is when I gave birth. I know it has to be a lot more difficult around your due date.

Mamarsupial--I LOVE that book. It is very empowering. I think I want to bring it with me while I'm labor LOL

Car Seats: To those of you with another small child and a four door compact car, where will you put the infant seat? Isn't it usually best to put it in the middle? Or is it better to put it by the door, as far away from the sibling as possible? I'd rather do it the second way...

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Carseat placement with two

I called the California Highway Patrol about this a few months ago, and they said the safest placement statistically is to have the babyseat in the middle, the toddler seat on the left side, behind the driver. They said there are fewer accidents impacting the left side than the right.

· Registered
257 Posts
Hi everyone!

Nik's mom--I have a nice easy MIL, but one of my grandmothers is like that. She told my other grandmother, when she heard I was still throwing up once a week or so, "Oh, she should just get over it!! Pregnancy was the happiest time of MY life! I don't see why it should be so hard for her!"
Then she said my 2 year old son was "too active" and I should "really see somebody" for him. Jeezus. I don't know if it was a bad day for her or what, but since I heard that I haven't brought ds down to visit and whenever she asks how I am I say, "oh, fine." I actually don't ever remember saying anything much else to her before about it, except that red sauce or garlic did not agree with me this pregnancy (she's Italian). Maybe she thought I was dissing her food.

Marmarsupial--I just got Ina May's book this week too and am reading through it. It could never have the same impact on me as Spiritual Midwifery did, but I think it's an ideal book for any pregnant woman. It says everything that needs to be said. I would like to see that replace "What to Expect when You're Expecting" as the mainstream pregnancy bible. Well, I can dream.

Car seats--I have a little cosco dreamride car BED that I can use lying down in the front passenger seat--it's air-bag safe because it lies flat. It's not ideal, but in a four-door compact, little else is. I am going to use that until the baby's too large (probably by 2 mos.) and then...I don't know if I can fit them side and center, plus the safety pluses described by the Highway Patrol might just be edged out by the definite safety detractors of my toddler poking my new born to death and me glancing in the back and hyperventilating because I can't see what's going on! Add a 5-speed transmission, and there's a lot of multitasking I could avoid by trying to keep them as far apart as possible.

· Registered
6,598 Posts
THIS SUCKS!!! I wrote a Huge response and it kicked me out before I could post!

I'll try again.....

Mamaley,

As for car seat placement.......if you have two children.....the infant seat should go next to the door, and the toddler seat in the middle. An infant is rear facing which by nature of it's position is safer than a forward facing toddler. For one child...always place the baby in the middle of the back seat.

If you have air bags in the front seat.....even though car makers tout that you can turn off the air bag.....I would still suggest NEVER placing your child in the front seat.....TOO DANGEROUS!

We just had both of our car seats professionally installed by a state certified installer who is also Captain of our local fire department. I suggest all of you call your local police dept., fire dept, or hospital for referrals on installers in your area. Our installation was free, however we wrote the Capatin a thank you note and donated some $$$ to the child fire safety program in his name.

We have the Britax carseats.....the Roundabout, the Marathon, and the Husky and LOVE them. Britax passes European safety standards (which are stricter than the USA's) and are tested on the Autobahn.
I prefer Britax, however the type isn't as necessarily as important as the installation.

Also remember that when in the car, the infant carrier handle is suppose to remain DOWN. I can't tell you how many times I see someone driving with the handle up and I want to pull them over and tell them.

Dinners ready...will write more later! Yummmm...fooood!!!!

41 - 60 of 181 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.