Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you order your supplies from?
Who's got cheap stuff?
Who's selling the good quality equipment at a reasonable price?
I don't have a lot to spend, but am quite willing to spend more to get quality. ie: I'm so sick of dopplers that produce more static than anything else and leave you straining to hear anything at all and then BLAST you with shrieks and whistles.
I'm also looking for a source for the small metal cord clamps, and wondering where you order meds from...
Is there already a list somewhere?
Thanks so much.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well, do you want good or cheap? Hard to get both in the same package. ;)

In His Hands has the stainless steel cord clamps:
http://www.inhishands.com/

Cascade has lots of midwifery supplies, and once in a blue moon they'll have a doppler sale.
http://www.1cascade.com/

Birth With Love has had various random supplies I've been unable to find on other sites.
http://www.birthwithlove.com/index.asp?

As far as meds, you're on your own. Procedure for obtaining meds is different by state (or province??), so I can't offer you any help there.

That should get you started.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking for suggestions of places that sell high quality/more expensive equipment, and a separate suggestion for cheap. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I just know there's some stuff I'm perfectly willing to go cheaper with, and other stuff that I am *not*.

Thanks so much for the list of possibilities.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I hate spending money and I also hate shopping, so for me its almost always a battle between convenience and bargains. I try hard to save money where I can.

I buy many things from precious arrows. The customer service there is really great and the prices are competitive. They have the most complete selection of the stuff I need to buy, so sometimes its the only place I shop. They have good prices and selection on things that I find annoying to shop for like herbs and tinctures and waterbirth supplies. I can't say enough about their customer service; it is truly outstanding.

I buy sutures from esutures.com. Awesome prices, crazy fast shipping and good customer service. I try to get non-sterile gloves and other bulk medical supplies from a local auction house. If you are really looking for bargains, local auction is the way to go.

I get big purchases off ebay, usually. I would reccomend checking the craigslist of nearby cities before buying something through ebay. You might be surprised! We have found some interesting things on cl, including obstetric US machines and other odds and ends, for really crazy-low prices.

I have to say that there are just no guarantees with dopplers, even the expensive ones. I have hated both my Huntleigh and Nicolet, eventually. My Niocet pocket dop just randomly gets crazy static and I can't even use it. My hunteigh just broke apart, though was never static-y, just held together with duct tape and super glue.

It really seems to me that fetal doppler technology is stuck in 1982. But thats not what you asked, lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts