Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get one of these for dh for Father's Day (yeah, I know, I'm leaving it a little late, but oh well), and can't figure out which to get. I know that lots of people love their Ergos, but looking at the new ones, I'm not sure that dh would think the butterfly fabric was all that. :LOL I was leaning toward the Patapum, but then the Sutemi can be used on the hip too...

I want something dh can use for ds, but maybe that he could use occasionally with dd too (she's just 31 lbs @ 4.5, and loves to ride on his back).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh my. I hadn't seen the new Ergo yet. While I really like the idea of being able to do hip carries with it (I wish there was a pic of that on the site), I'm not so fond of that butterfly fabric. I'm really glad I got mine before they started that. that alone would keep me from buying it...and my DH from using it, which would be a shame since he uses our Ergo as much as I do.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
The Patapum is a great choice and on sale at www.attachedtobaby.com It's more streamlined looking and I like the material better on the inside.
I tried the Ergo and Patapum and liked the Patapum better and it comes with a waist extender for free if that's an issue (have to pay extra w/ Ergo).
Good luck
Ann

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I would not do the Sutemi if you want a hip carry -- it is not comfortable AT ALL. I don't even know why they list that as an option -- you essentially have one strap hanging down, flopping around.

My personal vote is for the Ergo. I just love it. I would be willing to venture that most sites are not fully stocked with the new fabrics, and you could get an older style one. Have you tried www.myfavoritebabycarrier.com?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I love my ergo more than the patapum simply because of the pocket in the front so I can store my wallet, keys, cell phone, diaper or whatever when I need to just run in somewhere for an errand or 2.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by reader
I would not do the Sutemi if you want a hip carry -- it is not comfortable AT ALL. I don't even know why they list that as an option -- you essentially have one strap hanging down, flopping around[/url]
I do hip carry with my Sutemi all the time and it's great. I put the front strap over my shoulder and the back one around my abdomen. I have the large size, and the straps are a bit too long on me (I keep them pulled almost to their tightest when using front carry) so the one around my abdomen isn't super tight, but otherwise it works really well. I don't like how they suggest doing it, though, I found with both straps over the one shoulder you didn't get enough support.

The Ergo site has a PDF of the new instruction sheet and they suggest this one shoulder/one around the middle type of side carry for the new model.

OH, for the OP, this is probably too late, but I love my Sutemi for front carry or hip carry but it just doesn't work well for back carry on me. I've been debating about whether to get a new Ergo to use on the back or just sew something up that would work and I haven't quite decided.

Let us know what you chose!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.