Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have many Ergo questions....

Ds is 5 months & 20 lbs or more, we started out with a KKAFP, but the one shoulder thing was killing me, then we went to a Moby which we loved, but I'm looking for something quicker. I have a mei tai that we both like, but it doesn't have any padding & it cuts into Ds's chubby legs & hurts my shoulders after a while. I can easily put him down if he falls asleep though & he stays asleep.

With the Ergo - I was reading a post bout the "front pouch" vs the "backpack." I thought the Ergo baby carrier was just one thing??

What are the differences between the old generation & NG? I might be able to get a fair deal on an old one. I almost always wear Ds in the front. Are the buckles a hassle? Does the back strap bug you?

Is it easy to get baby out & lay him down AND keep him asleep?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metasequoia
I have many Ergo questions....

With the Ergo - I was reading a post bout the "front pouch" vs the "backpack." I thought the Ergo baby carrier was just one thing??

What are the differences between the old generation & NG? I might be able to get a fair deal on an old one. I almost always wear Ds in the front. Are the buckles a hassle? Does the back strap bug you?

The Ergo is just one thing, but it can be worn in a few different "positions". I don't have an older generation one, but from what I've heard, the difference is that the newer ones can be worn as hips carriers and the older ones could not.

I love mine. I haven't found the buckles to be a hassle unless I'm wearing baby on the front. The little strap that runs over your upper back is hard to buckle if you're alone. I have no trouble buckling the straps alone for the back carry or hip carry. I have found this carrier to be so comfy, and we hike and babywear everywhere. Can get a little hot in muggy weather. Some carriers are made of a breathable mesh - not sure if Ergo makes one of these.

I have found it very easy to get baby out while sleeping. Just undo the shoulder straps while leaving waist strap hooked and lay the whole contraption down. Then undo waist strap.

The Ergo was really the only carrier (aside from sling) that my son would tolerate. He really needed the close contact that the ergo affords (nothing between him and I).

I got a great deal on a newer version - just google and shop around for the best deal.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Quote:

Yeah it's one. You can just turn it around to face it front or back.

Quote:

What are the differences between the old generation & NG? I might be able to get a fair deal on an old one.
Unfortunately I don't really know this one. Will leave it for someone else.

Quote:

I almost always wear Ds in the front. Are the buckles a hassle? Does the back strap bug you?
Buckles are very easy. Just snap and go. The padded straps are also very comfortable. The back strap feels like nothing to me, just adds stability to the back straps so they don't slip off, and it doesn't dig in or anything (I've worn the Ergo with nothing but a bathing suit, and nothing digs in for me).

Quote:

Depends on the baby. I wouldn't want to lay the baby down ON/IN the Ergo (like you would with some slings and carriers) - but it IS easy for my and my baby to simply reach in the carrier to support the baby against my body with one arm and with the other, reach back and unbuckle the back strap, slip the shoulder straps down (a little wiggle of the shoulders will do it) and let the carrier fall away from the baby (it's still attached to your waist but that's ok. Then I just lean over and lay the baby down, sans Ergo. But it depends on the baby, because usually my baby will stir enough just by being laid down to need to be nursed a couple of minutes. But I really don't think the Ergo itself poses any problems in laying a sleeping baby down.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by box_of_rain
The little strap that runs over your upper back is hard to buckle if you're alone.
Yeah, that was hard for me at first too, but now I can get it alone. The trick is to make sure you have it positioned (you can slide it up and down) before you put it on so it's like a bra strap. If it slips too high, then it's hard.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I did not discover the Ergo carrier until my baby was 8 months old. We kept trying out different slings/carriers trying to find one that my DD would tolerate. Well, she LOVED the Ergo, and so did I. Actually, we used it up until just a few months ago when I got pregnant (DD is now 2 years and 4 months). I HIGHLY recommend the Ergo carrier. Once you get the hang of it, you can get it on and off by yourself with no trouble. I'm not sure of the difference between the newer and older ones....I have an older one.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I too love the Ergo and haven't had any real issues with putting it on. Like PP said, you can move the buckle up or down and snap like a bra strap or I like to put it up higher and just reach up and put it on like a necklace but further down my back and not on my neck. But it does't seem like a hassle to me.

If you prefer wearing him in the front more, then you might like the Sutemi Pack which is better for front carry, IMO. And this would be less bulkier than the Ergo if you were concerned about letting DS sleep on it. But that doesn't seem like an issue to me because I unbuckle the shoulder straps and keep a hand on DD's back and let the carrier fall forward and just lay her right on the bed, with no carrier in the way and I just get up and remove the waist strap and put the Ergo down. Sometimes I find that I have a good window where DD is in her deep sleep where if I take her out of the Ergo or Sutemi, it doesn't wake her. But it's never really an issue for us.

Anyway, go for the Ergo. It ROCKS!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I HATED my Ergo
:. I sold it on Craig's List for $80. I LOVE my Mei Tai because I found the waist strap on the Ergo too bulky and uncomfortable. I also didn't like where the arm straps hit me under my arms.

I'm able to relieve the pressure on dd's chunky thighs in the Mei Tai by tying it a little higher under her butt.

Just my two pennies though.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Love my Ergo.

I think there is a list of differences b/w old and new on their website. I believe that the hood option is new and I love it - you can put it up to hold a sleeping babies' head so it doesn't flop around - at first I thought it was silly but I really like it when dd falls asleep.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
I hope somebody here can help me.

I am trying to use my ergo more. I have been carrying dd, 13 months, 23 lb in a maya wrap sling but injured my back few weeks ago and now want to use something more balanced. So out came the ergo (the newer style). We hiked several hilly miles on Sunday and she kept slipping into the waist strap. She was comfortable (happy) but it felt odd to me. If I have it all the way down on my hips she cannot see anything so she leans waaaay sideways. I am 5'9" and wonder if it is just too short for me? It is so small as to look goofy on dh and he is only 6'1".

I have used a framed back pack (Kelty Kids) in the past for long periods but I loaned it out and do not want to ask for it back right now. I also have a mai tai but haven't gotten used to it either. I stuck to my sling until mid-July.

Any ideas on how to make the ergo work better?

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
to the first poster . . .that post talking about the front and back pouch was talking about accessories that you can buy to hook on to the ergo, not the ergo itself. the ergo itself comes with a zipper pocket that could hold like a wallet and/or diaper. to the person above me . . .if your daughter is slipping into the waist band, is it too loose? also I wear mine pretty high on my waist because thats where it's comfy for me. maybe she is too low. also it took me a couple times to get used to the back carry and not feel sore.

I have a mei tai and an ergo and like them both for different times. the ergo is better for flying cause the straps don't drag on the ground and it's quick and easy to get on and off. the mei tai is prettier.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamanurse
I HATED my Ergo
:. I sold it on Craig's List for $80. I LOVE my Mei Tai because I found the waist strap on the Ergo too bulky and uncomfortable. I also didn't like where the arm straps hit me under my arms.

I'm able to relieve the pressure on dd's chunky thighs in the Mei Tai by tying it a little higher under her butt.

Just my two pennies though.

I just got my ergo and I'm scared I might hate it too.......I was really ready to love it
I have a Didy that I have been using everday and the ergo feels so uncomfortable in comparison, like a baby bjorn (which I hated).

I'm going to give it a few weeks, I didn't even like my didy at first either. But what kind of mei tai do you have?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.