Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My 9 month old DS has had many nursing strikes over the past 7 weeks or so and has not nursed normally ever since. We've had lots of teething, a couple of colds, a house move, started cruising recently (all has contributed I think)... We've co-slept from birth and he does feed at night and also during the day when he is ready to sleep, but not much other than that.<br><br>
During the day if he is not ready to take a nap he will nurse for 60 seconds or maybe 2 minutes tops to take the edge off of his hunger. I've been trying to pump and feed him what I've expressed (especially during all out strikes) but he will mostly only allow me to syringe feed him and he has to be watching a cartoon or something in order to be focused on something else whilst I'm feeding him.<br><br>
I've been ill with a lung infection and my supply has dipped. Lack of suckling from DS and being on a super restricted diet due to DS's sensitivities, plus lack of sleep, have all contributed I think. I can't express much from my breasts at night and DS is really upset at the breast when he is ready to nurse. It seems like he only wants to nurse when I have no milk! I've had to top him up at night with Neocate as he has multiple food allergies/sensitivities. I felt terribly low about that but got over that as at this time in his life he needs milk or formula for nutrition. He's hardly been taking any solids and I have never pushed it but recently he has been extra keen on solid foods but still eats very little. His nappies are less wet and he is a hair away from dropping on the centile curve.<br><br>
The other question is that I must start antibiotics, which I haven't touched in over 10 years but can't avoid right now. The doctor went through all of the options but this was the only option (erytrthromycin). It is dairy free but it will give us both an upset stomach and give DS runny poop, which I'm not looking forward to as it's been never ending with symptoms from foods I eat coming through my breast milk.<br><br>
Should I nurse through this or pump and dump during the course and a little longer and do formula exclusively? I will have to find F.O.S/Inulin free probiotics for after the course for both of us but he is very sensitive to probiotics or any cultured foods.<br><br>
Thank you so much mamas<br>
xxx</p>

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<p>Update - I am taking the antibiotics after managing to get some more research in tonight. DS has taken a particular turn towards solid foods these past couple of days. He will cry if I don't let him grab food from my hand and he is eating it so I'm going along with his signals. He's nursing more today and yesterday BUT his nappies are drier and drier. I would like to get more water into him but the most important sign here is that he is not getting enough milk from me (or at least that is how my logic works). I backed off on the formula because I thought that because he was nursing more over the past two days he'd get more nourishment/fluids from me, but it's obviously not enough with the drying nappies.<br><br>
So my thoughts are to do what I can to boost my supply and give him extra formula whilst I am trying to up my supply. Sippy cups are not happening. Wondering if using a SNS would be worth a shot? Medela sell one here in the UK. Any thoughts?<br><br>
Thanks<br>
xxx</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts