Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Eugenians. My DH, toddler daughter and I are trying to decide if we are going to relocate to Corvallis or Eugene. I've been doing a lot of research online, but I have a few questions about the neighborhoods in Eugene. We will be visiting both cities in a few days, so any input is greatfully appreciated.

It is easy to see South Eugene, and it's schools are great and very desirable. There are 3 others I'd Like to know a little about: 1) Ferry Street Bridge and North Gilham 2) Santa Clara and 3) River Road. Is there much difference in these neighborhoods? What is the feel of each one (family oriented, safety, community, look)? We would actually prefer to buy a newer home as we are not handy at all, but we don't want to live in a completely bland suburban environment. How about the schools? The Oregon State website lists South Eugene as exceptional, Sheldon as strong and North Eugene, Churchill and Williamette as just ok (I'm using high schools as a guide to narrow down since there are fewer). Other parent websites had parents praising the ok schools, so I can't tell if they are good or really mediocre.

We are so excited to make this trip, and thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
651 Posts
hello there-i am probably not the best one to talk to, but i will give you my thoughts, and maybe someone else will post and tell me how wrong i am LOL we have only been here 6 years, so there could be a lot that i don't know.
we are in south eugene, and we love it-the other day a brand new fawn and its mama hung out in my yard for a while. there are tons of bike trails, and just down my street there is a hiking trail. my kids go to a charter school, don't know much about the public schools-i have heard not so great things about south eugene high school, and it is such a big school-we are checking out another charter school for high school, or we will homeschool. (my oldest is in 7th grade) i have heard that churchill high is nice, from a friend whose child goes there. it is smaller than south, they are having a good experience with the other children & teachers.
i have friends that live up river road, not quite in santa clara, though. i have heard it is a big family oriented neighborhood, a lot of churches.
as far as safety, methamphetimine (sp?) is a big problem here, (although no one seems to say anything about it) violent crime isn't high but property crime is. i guess it is a problem all over, now though. i went to a park in North Gilham, and things seem very sterile there, houses jammed together, lots of SUV's , etc. but i dont really know what you are looking for-
coming from LA traffic here will be a lot less (understatement I know) but there seems to be lots of traffic to me, up River Road/SantaClara/North Eugene. they are working on the freeway now too, so the traffic is bad in places it wouldn't normally be.
what kinds of schools are you looking for? what programs interest you/your children? we have a great charter/alternative school system, and you can send your child to any school within the 4J system. we are also former homeschoolers (and would do so again) and there are great groups for that too.
www.eugeneweekly.com is our local free paper, i think it is a good read for someone wanting to move to the area.
it is good that you will be able to visit, and get your own take-what one person loves another can't stand.
oh, and i hope you enjoy rain, because there is a lot of it here,

i don't know much about corvallis but they have a neat health food store LOL
and davinci days, they seem to have neat stuff up there too.
i love visiting portland, but it is waay to big for me LOL
now that i didn't answer anything you wanted to know-come on, someone else! hee hee
have a great time visiting!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your thoughtful reply, it answers a lot of my questions. I am from LA, my husband is British, and we are fed up with big city life. We want to be some place beautiful, safe, liberal and community oriented. We prefer the cooler weather and I think we can deal with the rain. The thought of another hot summer here makes me crazy. I actually started a Corvallis thread a few weeks back, and got a lot of good info on the area too.

From everything I've read, I think South Eugene is right up our alley. The only things is, we are not handy people and after some scary experiences as first time home owners in an old house, we are ready for something newer. It seems like the south is mostly older homes (which are lovely), though I know there are exceptions. Right now we live in a hilly area, and we love hiking and the woods. I guess our ideal would be an eclectic neighborhood of old and new homes, where people know each other and care about maintaining their community.

As far as schools, all of your schools are far better than here. We want to send our daughter to public school, or at least live in an area where we can. We are open to different philosophies, but I do want a certain amount of academics (call me crazy, but I loved school and the classics). Our biggest goal for her is to have a passion for learning and to remain curious. I used to be a kid's art teacher and recently I have been doing a preschool co-op with her, so I'd really like to be involved in her education too.

Crime is another concern - do a lot of people use alarm companies for their homes? Take their chances? Is it more car theft?

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts