Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just moved to Evanston IL and am looking for a good family practice or ped. The one I just went to suggested I give my 6 month old juice
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Liz

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Go to ENH Old Orchard Pediatrics and choose Dr. Robert Minkus! We love him. He's very pro-breastfeeding. My two-year-old had her checkup in September and when I said she still nursed, he said "And that's why I never get to see her!"

Anyway, they have offices right by Old Orchard mall in Skokie and one in Lincolnwood on McCormick; depending on where in Evanston you live, either will be fairly close.

This link is a page with his professional history and contact info:
http://www.enh.org/healthandwellness...ctor/index.asp

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
I've had two of my friends recommend Dr. Ettner. We will probably check him out when we get a little closer to this babe's due date. Apparently he used to do homebirths until the insurance got to be prohibitive.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have to say I've now spoken with two mamas who have LEFT Fred Ettner's practice for various reasons...and yes, these are breastfeeding, natural-type mamas. So, just a thought. You can PM me for details if you like.

We go to North Suburban Pediatrics (right across from Evanston Hospital) and while they are a huge practice, there are at least two docs there who I think are extremely open-minded and listen well. Dr. Virginia DePaul is our pediatrician, and while she isn't a crunchy ped by any means, she's level-headed and willing to try lots of things. Another doc there, Dr. Andy Bernstein, has also struck me as excellent. There are some older docs in the practice that can be the absolute opposite, but unless you're dealing with an emergency, you won't see them. Even so, your doc always gets involved as soon as the office opens.

Anyway, we like the practice overall.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
About Minkus and delayed/selective vaxing: he will do whatever you want to do. He recommends most vaccines except he does not like to do varicella; he agreed with me that it seemed silly to vaccinate for a relatively harmless childhood disease that we all used to get giving us immunity from shingles whereas now, if the varicella vaccine wears off by the time you are an adult and you do get shingles, that is much more serious than chicken pox. Consequently, he recommends waiting to see if your child contracts chicken pox and if he or she hasn't by the age of maybe 12, to give the varicella vaccine. He also does not recommend routine vaccination for Hep B for infants because "they tend to be neither promiscuous nor intravenous drug users." This one he also recommends giving in the preteen years. But he will discuss vaccines with you and ultimately the choice is yours, even if that is to do none whatsoever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We like Dr. Minkus as well. He conservative when it comes to giving antibiotics, and he's supportive of my choice not to vaccinate. I asked him which vaccines he gave his grandchildren, because I really wanted to know what HE would do. He only gave them two! I don't remember what they were, but they were serious diseases when he was an intern and although they aren't so common now, he still didn't want to risk it. I respected his thoughtful answer.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
i was going to suggest the practice that is right across the street from the hopsital too. dr depaul was MY doctor LOL. assuming she is the same dr. depaul
i really liked her, as a patient.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddledebi View Post
I have to say I've now spoken with two mamas who have LEFT Fred Ettner's practice for various reasons...and yes, these are breastfeeding, natural-type mamas. So, just a thought. You can PM me for details if you like.

We go to North Suburban Pediatrics (right across from Evanston Hospital) and while they are a huge practice, there are at least two docs there who I think are extremely open-minded and listen well. Dr. Virginia DePaul is our pediatrician, and while she isn't a crunchy ped by any means, she's level-headed and willing to try lots of things. Another doc there, Dr. Andy Bernstein, has also struck me as excellent. There are some older docs in the practice that can be the absolute opposite, but unless you're dealing with an emergency, you won't see them. Even so, your doc always gets involved as soon as the office opens.

Anyway, we like the practice overall.

·
Registered
591 Posts
We go to North Suburban Pediatrics as well. I would say it's OK and ITA that you wouldn't call it crunchy.

We have been to Dr. Christian and while shes suggested a few things I've ignored (taking away pacis cold-turkey) she is very warm and playful to my toddlers during thier visits and dd's are comfortable with her. I'm not looking for the perfect person in my doctor, just someone who has a good age-appropriate bedside manner and who knows her medicine and limitations. Dr. Christian meets all those.

They do have a great lady on staff that did our blood draws for lead tests and she was so engaging and reassuring that dd's didn't even get upset for the draw. They had a very traumatic blood draw at an old peds office and I was so scared it would always be like that, but this lady was amazing! If you ever happen to need her name, PM me and I'll let you know.

I would think being a peds practice, the toys in the wait room would be a little better. They have a toy garage but no cars that actually fit up the ramp - that's a little weird to me

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Another Dr. Minkus patient here (well, my kids) and at the first appt we said we did not vax and we haven't heard a thing since. When I call the office, they always ask if I want to talk to the doc or a nurse and if I want the doc, he always calls back within a reasonable amount of time. Very conservative with not just antibiotics but with all meds, I think, and very calming and reassuring. Oh, and I have a medically complex kid and he didn't blink an eye to any of our crazy stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Another friend of mine just recommended a doctor in Skokie:

Janet Maurer ("Medical Care Group") (847) 675-4373
9700 Kenton Ave, Skokie, IL 60076

I don't know how she is about vaxing but she was very supportive of extended breastfeeding, apparently, and very reasonable in general.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I really like our son's pediatrician, Dr. Elizabeth Swider. She has always been a huge proponent of breastfeeding and treats it as a normal occurrence. I taught her how to fasten a prefold with a snappi!

She's at the ENH Medical Group on Davis.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
We saw Dr. Swider before switching to Minkus. I found her so nice and NOT condescending (a rarity in my experience) but she was really into the parenting advice for us- recommending letting him cry to sleep, seemingly disapproving of co-sleeping, totally not down with selective vaxing or presenting it as an option. I truly think if a patient is uncomfortable with it, a ped should encourage them to read more and come back to it, even if they don't agree. She was 100% in favor of them. She also recommended supplementing with formula early on b/c I was so tired- even though I didn't express any frustration with bfing. I think that can be pretty bad advice- it can totally mess with your supply. But hey, at least she was nice about it when she disagreed.

WRT Minkus, I thought he told us that he gave his grandkids the DTP shots. I got the impression that he did most of them, except hep b and varicella. Lately he seems more reluctant to talk about it with us. I really want his opinion on the MMR- b/c I know he's not completely pro, I want to know what he says. But he seems reluctant to give it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
We saw Dr. Swider before switching to Minkus. I found her so nice and NOT condescending (a rarity in my experience) but she was really into the parenting advice for us- recommending letting him cry to sleep, seemingly disapproving of co-sleeping, totally not down with selective vaxing or presenting it as an option. I truly think if a patient is uncomfortable with it, a ped should encourage them to read more and come back to it, even if they don't agree. She was 100% in favor of them. She also recommended supplementing with formula early on b/c I was so tired- even though I didn't express any frustration with bfing. I think that can be pretty bad advice- it can totally mess with your supply. But hey, at least she was nice about it when she disagreed.

WRT Minkus, I thought he told us that he gave his grandkids the DTP shots. I got the impression that he did most of them, except hep b and varicella. Lately he seems more reluctant to talk about it with us. I really want his opinion on the MMR- b/c I know he's not completely pro, I want to know what he says. But he seems reluctant to give it.
Heh - in the ENH pediatrics practice, I found Blivaiss smarmy and totally condescending - a "why'd you bring him in?" attitude when we found blood in Matthew's stools. Hi, that's an ISSUE!! Swider has never suggested formula to us - recommended a book when we asked her about sleep assistance (the book sucked so we decided just not to ask her questions like that in the future
) and co-sleeping never came up. She did express concern when I mentioned that I was on lexapro for PPD, that it could cause extra sleepiness in small infants, but by the time I started taking it, my son was no longer a small infant
(He's 23 lbs at 6 mos!)

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Yeah, if I expressed frustration after waiting with a fussy baby for 45 minutes, she'd be like, "are you SURE you're OK????" Like, really, waiting in that lame waiting area for nearly an hour is really a drag. It doesn't mean you have ppd. she recommended 1-2-3 Magic to us. Not too good, but not too bad. It was really the vax issue that caused me to leave. I wanted to delay some, and I WANTED a medical doctor's input, but I wanted input from a ped who didn't think the schedule was just fine as is. I was a little sad to leave her.

Yeah we saw Blum there once- I think that was it. His solution to ds not complying with having his ear examined was "HOLD HIM DOWN!!!" Really great! Minkus is very gentle too. Very hands on in a literal (but not creepy) way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just wanted to respond to this thread and say that I love Dr. Fred Ettner. I started going there almost a year ago when my baby was born. I had been to another doctor, supposedly quite alternative too, and I did not like how disinterested she seemed in my baby and our questions. On the other hand, when I first met Dr. Ettner with my 2 week old baby he exclaimed what a perfect baby she was. He was thrilled that I had a home birth, he loved that we were co-sleeping, he was a great help with all my breastfeeding questions, and he has entirely supported me in pursuing a very alternative route to vaccinations. My whole family goes to him now and it has been a great treat.

·
Registered
413 Posts
We love Fred Ettner as well -- he's our whole family's doc and was whole-heartedly supportive of our homebirth too. We wouldn't make the trek from Lakeview on the CTA if we weren't really happy with him.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just a heads up i wouldm't recomend Dr.Jennifer Kahn.I had a very nasty experience with her several years ago where she called dcfs on me because i wouldn't stop bf my then 9mth old and decided to switch dr's because she tryed to force the issue.She may seem nice in the beginning but she is very much a my way or else kind of dr.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.