Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
You might want to do some browsing over in the Family Safety forum...but be warned: it's a whole world of research you're getting into!

We got a Radian 65 for dd, and love, love it! It will last for many many years and was totally worth the $. http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-.../dp/B000GEC71U (Looks like the price went up: we paid about $190 for ours last year, I believe.)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
For DS' transition from the pumpkin car seat to a convertible, we went with the Evenflo Triumph and he used it until he was a few months past being 2 1/2. I got it as a baby shower gift, but I believe the retail price was $119.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
If you are getting it for a new baby, be forewarned that a lot of the seats don't have slots low enough for newborns unless you have a really big baby. You're better off borrowing a bucket car seat that you know the history on (say from a sister or cousin or friend) until the baby hits 12-15 lbs.

That being said, the car-seat.org ladies recommend these convertible car seats because they last the longest and all RF up to 35 lbs.

Britax Marathon -
Cons - one of the more expensive, outgrown the soonest out of this list heightwise
Pros - Lots of cute covers and Britax guarantees their car seats - they had been setting the standards for car seats up until a few years ago when others started catching up.

Radian65 - Cons - very long RFing for younger children until you can tilt it more upright.
Pros - has the highest top slots for straps - great if you have long torsoed or tall kids.
if you are buying for a NB, you can get the Radian 80 - it RF to 35 lbs. FF to 80 lbs (but the majority of kids will outgrow it by height before weight) and the 80 comes with the infant padding. If you are getting it for an older child, I would get the 65 or the XT - the 65 is cheaper, the XT is newer (not sure what they did to improve it as we aren't getting it). The radian is also really narrow which is great if you are trying to puzzle 3 seats in a row.

Learning Curve/The First Years True Fit - Cons - crotch strap is pretty far in even on the farthest away slot - annoying if you cloth diaper.
Pros - Cheap (170ish) and works well in small cars because you can take off the head rest until they are 22 lbs. Has close to the same top slots as the Radian65.

Evenflo Triumph Advance - don't know much on this one, it seems to be 4th in the list of seats that get referred, I think it doesn't have as high of top slots as the others and it only FF to 50 lbs. so it won't last as long. I do know it's cheaper than the others.

FisherPrice Safe Voyage - this is basically a Marathon but it only FF to 55 and RF to 33 lbs. It is a lot cheaper than the Marathon though it has been discontinued so it is harder to find. Albeebaby.com had some a few weeks ago afaik.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
What about even flow triumph?

Its rated 2nd on Consumer reports
The Evenflo Triumph only rearfaces to 30 lbs. and forward faces to 40 lbs. It also has short top strap slots. IMO, you are not going to get your money's worth out of this seat because it will be outgrown in record time.

The Evenflo Triumph Advance is better because it at least rearfaces to 35 lbs. and forward faces to 50. If you have skinny, lightweight kids, this might be an option.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
As XanaduMama pointed out, the Family Safety forum is an excellent resource here at MDC. (In fact, your post might get moved over there.)

From the research I did, I decided to get a True Fit convertible carseat. The tall shell will allow for more kids to reach the weight limits of the seat. The removeable headrest allows it to take up less space rfing than many others. The nonthreading harness is a plus of the seat. I also think it's a pretty attractive seat. (Hey, I'm going to be looking at it for a bunch of years!)

For a more budet minded seat, I'd consider the Evenflo Triumph Advance. It's not a "cheap" seat but since it's also a tall seat and has higher than 40 lbs ff weight limit, it will be useful for longer. (I wasn't a fan of the chest clip when I looked at it in Babies R Us.)

I discounted the Britax family not because they are not good seats but because of the price and less legroom than the True Fit when doing extended rearfacing (keeping your LO rearfacing beyond the minimum requirements).

Radians I ruled out because of the space they take while rfing. Also I don't really like the look of them (although I've only seen them online).

To add to the con for the FisherPrice Safe Voyage: the fact that it's discontinued means that you are getting a seat with a shorter lifespan. Carseats have expiration dates and since these seats were discontinued a while back, their life is reduced.

Phew, who knew that carseats are so complicated?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I got one(Evenflo Triumph) and loved it but ended up having to get a new one once my daughter neared 30 lbs(came sooner than I anticipated!). I then got the Britax with the headwing things, which RF to 33 lbs. I should have just gotten the Britax in the first place. I know they're expensive, but it's worth it. And there are websites that ship for free.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Consumer reports is not a good source of carseat info.

-Angela
ditto.

In response to the price of the seat, a higher harnessing seat such as the true fit, sunshine kids radian, or a higher weight britax seat will last almost all kids until at least 5.

Sunshine kids radian $199--about $40/year, or $3/month.
True fit $249--about $50/year, or $4 month
Britax--same as true fit

It seems worth it to me to buy a higher weight seat for a little bit more money, because they're going to last longer. I went through several cheaper seats before I started buying britax, and when it came down to it, I spent a lot more on those seats than if I had just started with a britax.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Consumer reports is not a good source of carseat info.

-Angela
Why is that?

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by angelamariebee View Post
I didn't like the Triumph- I thought it was a pain to adjust the straps.
The EFTA, otoh, has infinite adjust straps. Having tried both types of straps, I think all carseat manufacturers should do infinite adjust straps.

My 7.5lb, 20.5" long newborn fit just fine in the EFTA, and the straps weren't even at the lowest possible setting.

A very tiny baby might need an infant seat, but at least for us we had several non-expired, never in a crash, infant seats offered to us. We just told people we were getting the convertible seat installed and would call them up if the baby was too small for the convertible.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by goodheartedmama View Post
ditto.

In response to the price of the seat, a higher harnessing seat such as the true fit, sunshine kids radian, or a higher weight britax seat will last almost all kids until at least 5.

Sunshine kids radian $199--about $40/year, or $3/month.
True fit $249--about $50/year, or $4 month
Britax--same as true fit

It seems worth it to me to buy a higher weight seat for a little bit more money, because they're going to last longer. I went through several cheaper seats before I started buying britax, and when it came down to it, I spent a lot more on those seats than if I had just started with a britax.
Amazon has several true fits for $185 or so now (or they did recently). So you can get them cheaper than $249.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Because they give price too much weight compared to safety.
:

AND their safety data is unreliable as it is not released and can not be duplicated. The last round they withdrew the whole thing because it was so flawed.

-Angela

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.