Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used Evening Primrose oil before their due date? It is said that this supplement in a soft gel capsule helps ripen the cervix before labor. It has helped a friend of mine for one, she had her labor for 4 hours and that was her first time. It's also said that this supplement is good for women who are experiencing menopausal symptoms. Might work for others too. Tried every brand but the best that worked was the one being sold by Natural Goal.:nerd:

·
Registered
556 Posts
I haven't done it, but it does sound enticing! Unfortunately it is contraindicated for vbac's as it could possibly soften the scar tissue. :/

·
Registered
446 Posts
yup, love EPO. I've used it internally (pop a pill with a pin and insert) at bedtime for all 3 babies starting the last month or so before my DD and swallowed pills daily about the same length of time. I am not sure if it affected my labor at all, but my skin was def. soft and supple and I only tore once and that was really minor (no stitches). I need to start again soon :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
EPO is definitely something I've considered giving a go this time around. I probably won't take it until I'm at term, though. And I'm not sure if I'm gung ho enough to do the vaginal suppositories... In any case, I'm willing to consider anything to help make this labor shorter and easier than the first one which was a 30-hour affair!

Last time I was super disciplined about working out up until my due date and I also did red raspberry leaf tea regularly... neither seemed to have much of an effect! I had pretty much the exact same labor my mother had had with me (also her first child) in that it lasted forever and I had contractions that measured as high as they could get but it took me FOREVER to dilate. My mother's labor with her second, though, was much quicker and easier. So I'm hoping to pattern continues!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I drank gallons of red raspberry leaf tea last time around and didn't notice any effects either!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts