Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Argh! I'm allergic to cats, then at 16 became allergic to bananas/pineapple. Suddenly, two weeks ago, at 35 (!), I ate some nectarine and became covered in hives from head to toe - large, itchy, burning ones. Last night had a few bites of it as well and the same thing happened (we didn't know what it was the first time; last night, after I took a bite of one, my throat became inflamed, then the other stuff happened).

Why in the heck would I develop an allergy NOW?? Is something going on with my immune system? I am run down from BFing a 2 yr old...help!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I have the same issue.. Started w/ seasonal allergies and it has esclated to food allergies... first apples, then peaches and now pears, plums, carrots, almonds, cherries, raw green beans... it sucks..

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Yes you can.

I developed a pretty gnarly cashew allergy when I was 20. In the past 7 years, I have systematically shown an allergy to almost all tree nuts (I'm down to only being okay with Almonds, but at this point, I don't want to chance it).

It took me a good three exposures (over the course of a week), finally landing me in the hospital, to figure it out since I'd never shown even the hint of an allergy before.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
My first allergies showed their ugly heads in my early 30's. I didn't know they were allergies for a few years, but now that I have them pinpointed I'm so much healthier.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh dear...not beer!!

(sigh) Yup..did some research, and they can rear their ugly heads at any point.

Nectarines and bananas are part of the latex family of allergies and are related to plums, passion fruit and a few other things. TG I didn't have to pick the little one up from preschool looking it The Thing

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
My siblings had allergies from birth, but I never had them until at least my mid to late twenties, so I guess you can develop them whenever. I had tests done in my late twenties to early thirties and was supposedly allergic to nearly everything.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
My oma has developed allergies and asthma in the last 10 years. So, even as late as your 60's. Symptoms can change, too. I used to never get headaches, but lots of ear infections. Well, now I get sinus headaches all the time with my allergies, but don't often have problems with my ears.

Crystal

·
Registered
141 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by elmh23 View Post
Food allergies can pop up at anytime.

Has anyone noticed developing allergies after weight gain? Or should it be a coincidence?

99% of my allergies popped up after gaining ~30lbs in a very short time, when I was 32 (not pregnant). The extra lbs came from over-eating, not from really unhealthy stuff
:

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I started developing a dairy allergy a few years ago. And now it is progressing to eggs and avacados. Never had an issue before cept to pets and latex (which has cross reactions with dairy and avacados).

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I was never allergic to anything as a child. Now, at *ahem* 41... My list of allergens is ever growing.

Many of them came with no warning whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I'm 29 and just found out a few days ago that I am severely allergic to dairy and mildly allergic to eggs and sunflower. They think my last pregnancy "triggered" it.
I've had a migraine headache for about 19 months now and have been looking for answers for about that long. My symptoms started when Keegan was 1 week old.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.